[Event] TransBaviaans 2011

EcoBound MTB Events

I am doing my first TB this year. Well actually it will be my first real MTB endurance race. I was wondering, how difficult is it really? Compared to other well known endurance races like the Epic, Comrades, Iron man, Argus etc?

I've done every Trans except one. Trans is what you make of it. Yeah its hard, but if anything, its more a mental challenge. If you have a half-decent amount of fitness, you WILL finish it. What makes or breaks it is whether you can push yourself to carry on if its cold and dark and you feel like k_k.

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done every Trans except one. Trans is what you make of it. Yeah its hard, but if anything, its more a mental challenge. If you have a half-decent amount of fitness, you WILL finish it. What makes or breaks it is whether you can push yourself to carry on if its cold and dark and you feel like k_k.

Two years ago I did the TB in 17.5 hours - I just started cycling. If you do the TB for the fun of it and enjoy the views, you'll love it. Actually, one of my highlights were 01:00 in the morning, sitting next to the road eating something and no-one else around (except my team mates). It really was fun.

Well said. Now to get a entry, will be my 3rd if a entry becomes available.

And you can ask Azonic if I can do it anyone can, although I don't eat as much chocolate as he does.

I am looking for accommodation in the area for 3 people. Please pm me if you can help.

Hi All

Looking for a Trans-baviaans 2 or 4 team entry if one becomes available.

Please PM

thx

Two years ago I did the TB in 17.5 hours - I just started cycling. If you do the TB for the fun of it and enjoy the views, you'll love it. Actually, one of my highlights were 01:00 in the morning, sitting next to the road eating something and no-one else around (except my team mates). It really was fun.

Reading all of your comments and experiences of the TransBaviaans, makes it worth it to train when it's cold and dark through the winter with muddy wet roads to do my first Baviaans this year!

Can't wait!see you there. :clap:

I just heard the roads are washed away. We booked the house at Bergplaas for a training run in 2 weeks' time and they us informed yesterday that the roads are closed and it is virtually impossible to reach it with a vehicle.

Edited by Polo

I just heard the roads are washed away. We booked the house at Bergplaas for a training run in 2 weeks' time and they informed yesterday that the roads are closed and it is virtually impossible to reach it with vehicle.

Well luckily we have mountain bikes :P

We were there last weeekend and they would not let us past the boom gate. We had to turn around and do the Elands river hill instead. Actually better training if you ask me, but around 18km x2 tar riding which is not so nice.

Even getting onto the never ender would mean walking around 50m in 800mm deep water over the coarse way.

Edited by Sawdust

I have the Baviaans 2day Challenge on the 16th and 17th July - hopefully the roads are OK then to ride!

One of my clients was there recently. He was not allowed on the roads with his 4x4. Too badly damaged by the rain.Rivers are also flowing. Lekker wet feet, 2 pairs of shoes are essential.

I just heard the roads are washed away. We booked the house at Bergplaas for a training run in 2 weeks' time and they us informed yesterday that the roads are closed and it is virtually impossible to reach it with a vehicle.

One of my clients was there recently. He was not allowed on the roads with his 4x4. Too badly damaged by the rain.Rivers are also flowing. Lekker wet feet, 2 pairs of shoes are essential.

Ouch...only have one pair of shoes,this whole baviaans storie is getting really expensive!

My father in law might be relocating to Willowmore. I thought to myself: What the hell is in Willowmore...

Now I know.

Well luckily we have mountain bikes :P

That was my reply to my teammates as well, slap on a couple of panniers or a backpack and make it a self-supported 230km ride.

They came back with replies like "why stop there, how about hooking up a rubber duck for the river crossings".