illegal rear lights??

nacho!

I've read that in the UK Flashing rear Red lights are illegal...don't know why :unsure:

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing it so I'm pimping my bike with some LED's. Night rider B)

Not heard of that, I never had a problem in 10 years of commuting. Maybe its something new :unsure:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not heard of that, I never had a problem in 10 years of commuting. Maybe its something new :unsure:

read reg 178 of the National Road Traffic Act. It allows the use of red lights at the rear and white lights at the front. These are not compulsory though. It only allows the use of red lights, meaning the blue lights are illegal.

Reg 311 governs bicycles on the road andthere it states the use of reflectors. Something that surprised me is that nowhere in this legislation is it compulsory to wear a helmet.

Edited by Eugene

read reg 178 of the National Road Traffic Act. It allows the use of red lights at the rear and white lights at the front. These are not compulsory though. It only allows the use of red lights, meaning the blue lights are illegal.

Reg 311 governs bicycles on the road andthere it states the use of reflectors. Something that surprised me is that nowhere in this legislation is it compulsory to wear a helmet.

http://www.arrivealive.co.za/pages.aspx?i=540

Helmets required by the National Road Traffic Act, 1993(Act No.93 of 1996).

I've read that in the UK Flashing rear Red lights are illegal...don't know why :unsure:

If it's worth doing, it's worth overdoing it so I'm pimping my bike with some LED's. Night rider B)

Yes flashing red lights on their own are illegal in the UK ,You must have a constant red light at the back as well.

So Cateye made the LD 1000. You can set half the LED's to flash and the other half on constant.

My Daughter who communites year round in London uses one.

I use the Cateye LD 610 in SA - on flashing - a very effective light even in the day.

Edited by The Guy in Pink

Yes flashing red lights on their own are illegal in the UK ,You must have a constant red light at the back as well.

So Cateye made the LD 1000. You can set half the LED's to flash and the other half on constant.

My Daughter who communites year round in London uses one.

I use the Cateye LD 610 in SA - on flashing - a very effective light even in the day.

On their own they are illegal. Thats funny cause why would Cateye sell flashing red lights in the UK. I used two at the back, one flashing & one solid, with two flashing white lights at the front. In ten years of commuting in London I never got stopped once, and I used to ride past three police stations on the way home.

@Eugene: Your correct, nowhere does one actually read this. Its mentioned everywhere on the internet but I cannot find the rgualtion. The best I got was this from PPA:

"The use of a helmet by cyclists became compulsory in South Africa on 5 October 2004 by virtue of the amendment to Regulation 207(2)."

Blue LEDs / Lights are illegal.

Rather just get a Blackburn backlight, even blind people can see them

:thumbup: I have a set of rechargeable Fleas and you can see those beauties from FAR away!!! :lol:

Thanks....I was looking everywhere for that. The article speaks of Regulation 207, however, when I search the Road traffic Act on www.acts.co.za, this regulation does not come up.

Regulation 207 is the one requiring motor cyclists to have Helmets. It was amended to include pedal cyclists from October 2004

:thumbup: I have a set of rechargeable Fleas and you can see those beauties from FAR away!!! :lol:

Yeah, next thing on my list are those Fleas. I'm surprised how bright those little guys are. Only R550 retail from a local LBS for the set (USB ones) and I guess its worth it.

who honestly has ever been pulled over for illegal road lights on a bicycle?

True but the BRT nanny patrol will be out in full swing one of these days - think the fine is R50 per transgression.

True but the BRT nanny patrol will be out in full swing one of these days - think the fine is R50 per transgression.

was reading an article on why flashing is banned in UK... it has to do with studies, that the flashing light actually attracted drunk drivers and they tended to follow the flashing, rather then steering clear of them

was reading an article on why flashing is banned in UK... it has to do with studies, that the flashing light actually attracted drunk drivers and they tended to follow the flashing, rather then steering clear of them

So you actualy become a heat seeking missile.