Giant Paint qaulity

iRob

Sheesh I cannot believe the poor service from the Giant Agent here in SA... if it is a defect in the workmanship then it must be repaired or replaced. Simple.

I say take pics and email Giant in Taiwan directly.

I love my Anthem X but this post saddens me. Come on Giant, make us all believe that you are the one bike brand that still cares about its supporters... come on.... you can do it...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okes I'm not trying to, and was not trying to bad-mouth Giant or Dragons.

me = iRob.

The intent with this post was to get information on a) if this sort of thing is common and B) what the outcome for the bike owner was after dealing with Dragons/Giant or any other manufacturer.

Initialy. The post seems to have turned south when I quoted the "final" outcome, and was then ill-revived into something not intened. The posting of photos by Dragons left me feeling a bit done-in as this was the first place I saw them. They were not sent to me personally.

I have tried to keep my dealings with them fair and open, but was unhappy with the lack of clarity and subjective reasoning for this not being a 1 year covered paint warranty. This is something Dragons has promised to have looked at again by someone who is technically competent when it comes to coatings and paint, as I fear neither parties involved, knows enough on the matter.

On the matter of cracked frames: Here I believe the issue is a lot less contentious: As soon as a frame cracks the crack will propagate fairly quickly, to the point where it is clearly visible soon after having developed. The frame does not need to go for 3rd party review because the cracks are normally clearly visibile. (If the crack is not yet visible you'll not know about it, unless you have the frame x-rayed or some other form of non-destructive examination, in which case rather spend the time mountain biking!) Like 5-15mm long. That is, visible with the naked eye. On the paint I imagine it would be different, you cannot see paint layers which are hundreths of mm thin delaminating with the naked eye. If it comes off, I belive there must have been some sort of defect to start off with. But someone who know more about paint would know why or what the story is.

I LOVE the Giant brand. I will seriously keep buying the bikes until I stop buying bikes, which God willing would be a long time away.

But I am also not a moron, and try my best to make purchases with my head screwed on. That is why I bought the Giant. Excellent value for money, good brand history and solid engineering. Something I have come to expect, reasonably, from having had 10 of their bikes and countless hours of joy, and physical pain.

Giant, if you say no with a reason, then its a no, and I'll accept it.

Edited by iRob

Sheesh I cannot believe the poor service from the Giant Agent here in SA... if it is a defect in the workmanship then it must be repaired or replaced. Simple.

I say take pics and email Giant in Taiwan directly.

I love my Anthem X but this post saddens me. Come on Giant, make us all believe that you are the one bike brand that still cares about its supporters... come on.... you can do it...

Well that answers my question, which 29 ,oh now the Giant is out of the equation. Damn I like that bike, but not if it is going to look like a piece of crap after 6 months. :(

No man majestic.

If it is the beat value for money then go for it. Remember Giant is one of the if not, the largest frame manufacturers in the world. They own goodness knows how many factories in Taiwan, and produce all but a handful of the top bike brands' frames.

I'm seriously thinking of getting the Talon 29er as an alternative to my Anthem.

yeah, don't be put off by the brand, Giant are normally an excellant brand, this could just be a "bad batch" of something, there are way more happy customers then ones with a problem. The problem needs an expert to analyse it and make an informed decision.

I agree, and think that is a reasonable approach to take Caerus. Especially since it is a subjective matter.

Edited by iRob

I agree, and think that is a reasonable approach to take Caerus. Especially since it is a subject matter.

Gees, lad, I see you have become the consumer watchdog for all those of us Giant riders... hope my Anthem holds up! 'Cos you was Robbed.

Dragons does not excatly have a squeeky clean reputation when it comes to stuff like this.....

Gees, lad, I see you have become the consumer watchdog for all those of us Giant riders... hope my Anthem holds up! 'Cos you was Robbed.

No man, I just want a good reason. It seems this does happen, but few and far between.

Dragons does not excatly have a squeeky clean reputation when it comes to stuff like this.....

Let's give them an opportunity to justify their reasoning, its only fair to do so.

On behalf of Dragons Sports:

All concerned:

re: Anthem X frame with damaged paint:

Unfortunately the frame in question was judged not to be a warranty claim. Dragons Sports offered various options for repairing the damage caused by the client at no charge.

All legitimate claims are fairly assessed and promptly completed.

Warranty Manager

Dragons Sports

Interesting that you say this, allthough just about everyone on this forum is saying that the paint should not have com off?

Reminder to me......Dragons has not changed....support any other brand from now on.

No man, I just want a good reason. It seems this does happen, but few and far between.

I know - did they tell you why they are just sending it back unfixed? Or are they grumpy that you've had a go in public? My mate ended up with a fricken carbon fibre mountain bike cos they couldn't replace his exact cracked frame. Check out the overseas scenario.

Let's give them an opportunity to justify their reasoning, its only fair to do so.

They are going to walk all over you.....you have to stand up for what you believe in....many people here say that it is not good / correct what happend to your frame...clearly the paint was sub-standard....

I know - did they tell you why they are just sending it back unfixed? Or are they grumpy that you've had a go in public? My mate ended up with a fricken carbon fibre mountain bike cos they couldn't replace his exact cracked frame. Check out the overseas scenario.

Jo, thats a sweet deal, they seem to be EXCELLENT when it comes to cracked frames. I have heard countless simliar stories of guys who swear they are the best, when it comes to cracked frames.

I've got idea who to contact wrt overseas question, the only email address I could find was for a career with Giant in the US and that was an HR address... Doubt the person behind the HR email address would help a guy in Africa. "Where is that? That state next to Texas?" - NOT directed at Giant SA, but the American population in general...

Edited by iRob

What is the best to prevent/manage cable rub? My insulation tape is not doing it.

I'd speak to the bike manufacturer and enquire from them as to the size and nature of the preventative measure. Please just don't cover your entire frame, it seems it MIGHT make things worse.