stolen bike?

Brett

for your troubles you'll get charged with theft and most likely with assault. rather take the guy's photo and take it to the cops.

The irony here being that you will get charged with theft and assault, however if you take the photo to the police at least they will know what the guy looks like... the guy that got away with theft... and probably assault in the process...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The worst is nothing will happen even if he has stolen it, or acquired it illegally. The cops don't have the time or inclination to do anything about some guy riding a bike that "may" be stolen.

Oh really. It must be awesome being white trash nowadays. You can steel what you want and no one will stop you because you automatically pass the the stereotype test for non thieves. The poor black oke who has saved for a couple of years to buy that cool bike he saw at cash crusaders is automatically deemed a thief.

Actually in the Helderberg and especially the Strand, its easy to identify the white trash who are riding what is not theirs. We have a whole white-trash villiage of usual suspects.

How is he being racist by stating what he saw?

Tell me how, by any standards on this doomed planet of ours, is this following sentence not racist?

"especially with a black worker in scrappy jeans and t-shirt riding it."

Tell me how, by any standards on this doomed planet of ours, is this following sentence not racist?

So should it have said " a worker in scrappy jeans and t-shirt" That could describe a million people, he narrowed it down to what race he was, thus giving more information.

So should it have said " a worker in scrappy jeans and t-shirt" That could describe a million people, he narrowed it down to what race he was, thus giving more information.

So in that case, please don't be offended if I refer to you as "That idiot on the hub". I'm just stating it as I see it, thus giving more information so others can more easily identify you,

So in that case, please don't be offended if I refer to you as "That idiot on the hub". I'm just stating it as I see it, thus giving more information so others can more easily identify you,

So then you have now offended me, so that ok? Please do explain further as too why Im an idiot? as well as how stating a persons race is racist?

Edited by Caerus

Racism??? Would be giving him a beating no questions asked!!!

You know one can't open your mouth these days without being "RACIST". Its pathetic :angry:

Velo....getting into the semantics here....the FACT is the guy was "black"...by stating that fact, does it make one a racist?

perhaps the entire slant of conversation could allude otherwise...like using the word "especially" in this context.

I'm so tired with this racist issue....the fact was - the guy was black...not green / white / yellow.

One make certain assumptions - and one of those is that a person that lives on the breadline...could not possibly afford such a luxurious item of transport...

The question remains - What to do about this...do we just accept and look the other way? Or do we try and make a difference (i.e stop the theft of bikes) by confronting such an individual and try and return the apparent stolen property to its rightful owner as well as rid the streets of another criminal?

OK, I am going to wade in, I cannot resist and longer

The statement that it was a black person riding the bike was not racist in itself (in my opinion), but if you thought (as I think you did) the bike was stolen because the badly dressed person riding the bike just happened to be black, now that would be racist.

In other words, those of us who assumed you thought he was a thief because he was black, also assumed you are a racist. Maybe if you had not used the words "black" we would not have assumed your racism.

So, the question I think needs to be asked, if he had been dressed the same way and had been white, would you have written "especially with a white worker in scrappy jeans and t-shirt riding it" or would you have written "especially with a worker in scrappy jeans and t-shirt riding it" ...

I have decided for now not to assume you are a racist ... but I am going to assume a (colourless) worker in scrappy jeans and t-shirt riding a very expensive bike could be a thief and should be questioned -- which is probably what we should be concentrating on here !!!!

Exactly, sick to death of this race card issue - Get over it. There could have been many other choice words used.

The guy was black. irrespective of everything else.

Just a question, who are you to stop anyone in the street and question the manner in which they acquired their bike? I mean, if you genuinely suspect it of being stolen, make a note of the time/place, take a description and phone the cops. I would seriously be upset with anyone that stopped me in the street, and I on occasion do ride very expensive bikes in worse clothes than my gardener wears when he's mowing my lawn. Upset like smack you in the mouth kind of upset.

Just a question, who are you to stop anyone in the street and question the manner in which they acquired their bike? I mean, if you genuinely suspect it of being stolen, make a note of the time/place, take a description and phone the cops. I would seriously be upset with anyone that stopped me in the street, and I on occasion do ride very expensive bikes in worse clothes than my gardener wears when he's mowing my lawn. Upset like smack you in the mouth kind of upset.

Imagine if people didnt question a lot of things?

Imagine if people didnt question a lot of things?

Like I said, report it to the coppers, neighbourhood watch,your local security company, but the dude that stops me to question why I am dressed the way I am, riding a R60k bike, is going to have a complaint laid against him at the police station.

Like I said, report it to the coppers, neighbourhood watch,your local security company, but the dude that stops me to question why I am dressed the way I am, riding a R60k bike, is going to have a complaint laid against him at the police station.

I understand what youre saying, I'll give you the scenario of the attempted suicide bombing at a Scottish airport a couple years ago, If a civilian had not stopped the person and asked questions - How many innocent lives would be have been lost.

Im free to ask anyone anything. You can ask him where he got the bike from, no harm done. He may give you a satisfactory answer and no need for any cops at all.

No harm, no foul :)

It still leaves us with the bigger question...how do we as concerned citizens of all race and colour stop this scourge of stolen bikes?

What do we do?

Sorry, but as much as I would like to...I do not think the SAPS will actually give any time to a person walking into their shop with a picture of someone on a bike...

we are SA and our way of doing things are very different from any other place in the world...

I would like to be pro-active but unfortunately I'm a realist most of the time...