Help removing pedals

funjunkie

Hi Hubbers

Im trying to remove the pedals from my mountain bike. Ive been riding the bike for about 18months now. It seems that the pedals have "bonded" to the crank arms. No matter how much force I apply, I just cant loosen the pedals. (Yes I am turning the pedals in the correct direction.)

Ive tried spraying Q20 into the threads without any joy. Any other tricks I can try.

Thanks in advance.

I assume it has not got the allen key socket but you are using a 15 Spanner . Get the spanner as close to the crank arm as possible and use the crankarm as a anchor . Make sense ? If not I got a moerse hammer that also works .

Hi Hubbers

Im trying to remove the pedals from my mountain bike. Ive been riding the bike for about 18months now. It seems that the pedals have "bonded" to the crank arms. No matter how much force I apply, I just cant loosen the pedals. (Yes I am turning the pedals in the correct direction.)

Ive tried spraying Q20 into the threads without any joy. Any other tricks I can try.

Thanks in advance.

q20 rubber mallet and pedal wrench, and you do know that the pedals are difffernet directionally when undoing them, i.e if you turn left to remove the right pedal, you have to turn righ to remove the left pedal. (the actual method escapes me now) but make sure you follow the arrows on your pedals.

It does have an allen key socket, but im sure I will bend or break the allen key if I apply more force.

Then get a set of proper keys . You get the very long ones at any good tool shop and you will break a crank arm before a key .

Just took mine off ... spanner plus hammer ... as Big H says, one pushes the spanners toward the rear for both of them

Good luck :thumbup:

Had similar problem a while ago and had to resort to pedal spanner, hammer and brute force.

May not have that as an option in future though.

Pedals I have now don't seem to have a pedal spanner fitting, only allen key.! :huh:

A stitch in time

When you put them back smear a little grease on the threads before putting them back. So next time you wont have that problem

I had the exact same problem last week with only one pedal. I tried everything from Q20 to Mouse Milk. Took it to the LBS, didn't even take it off the carrier. They just did it there for me instantly. Took less than 2 secs. They had quite a long lever for some good leverage... or I might have loosened it for them :lol:

Put a extension (old water pipe etc.)on the spanner to get some leverage. at least 30cm :thumbup:

I prefer doing this to hammering.

also if you still somehow get confused between directions, start with the right hand side as that has a conventional screw thread, and then do the opposite with the left (reverse screw)

Some Feedback.

Tried knocking the spanner with a hammer. The teeth on the spanner started stripping. I must confess thought that I was using a cheap no.15 spanner that came with a all in one tool set.

Went to the hardware store and bought a proper good quality no.15 spanner. The handle is about 10cm longer than the cheap spanner.

Came home and managed to change both pedals in 5 mins. No need for hammering or using a pipe extension to increase leverage.

Moral of the story, use a good quality tool and it will save you time, effort and agro.

Thanks for the ideas.

Edited by funjunkie

Buy a special pedal spanner....... Correct width and length to do the job ..... BBB makes a good one.

Moral of the story, use a good quality tool and it will save you time, effort agro.

Thanks for the ideas.

100%.

Also, I put a bit of Molyslip Copaslip on to stop it seizing again, but any anti-seizing compound should do...