Sitting on the top tube of a carbon frame?

Tokyo

Having watched, "how its made" on DSTV, the episode where they make a carbon Trek road frame, the fact its glued together in some sections, I can understand how this could cause a frame to crack if you're constantly "sitting" on it like this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So....do they or do they not test the loadbearing abilities of the top tube? :unsure:

Unless that is established, we cannot move forward to the damage caused by sitting on it :oops:

After spending a cool R60 000 on my dream S-Works, all I need is for Foxy to come along and tell me what to do with it! WTF, mind your own business Foxy, if it cracks I will source the replacement frame from where the original came from, and that is definitely not your wallet (team manager or not)!

After spending a cool R60 000 on my dream S-Works, all I need is for Foxy to come along and tell me what to do with it! WTF, mind your own business Foxy, if it cracks I will source the replacement frame from where the original came from, and that is definitely not your wallet (team manager or not)!

Are you serious please don’t be rude to me I was not telling you anything

Are you serious please don’t be rude to me I was not telling you anything

I thought he was more wanting to tell you how much he paid for his bike.

I think that is it for me and the hub, trying to have a discussion on something and getting reactions like that.

I think that is it for me and the hub, trying to have a discussion on something and getting reactions like that.

Foxy, don't sweat it. There is always a few clowns like these around on any open forum. Nothing better to say/do and then becomes beliggerent.

Just ignore them. (There is the old saying; "An empty tin makes the most noise")

BTW, you got me thinking. Always used to sit on my Alu bike like that, and now do it with my new "plastic" bike too. Maybe not such a clever thing to do.

JB, WE NEED YOUR HELP OUT HERE!!!!!

Edited by Wannabe

if the carbon bike can handle SA roads and going downhill at a coupla km's/hr, then surely the weight on a top tube is not to much of an issue ?

Foxy, don't sweat it. There is always a few clowns like these around on any open forum. Nothing better to say/do and then becomes beliggerent.

Just ignore them. (There is the old saying; "An empty tin makes the most noise")

BTW, you got me thinking. Always used to sit on my Alu bike like that, and now do it with my new "plastic" bike too. Maybe not such a clever thing to do.

Clown?

post-4091-0-43505200-1296477211.jpg

Thanks I am just sorry I posted on the Hub today

I.m with Bikemonster on this one, The forces generated on the seat post/clamp and headset is big, your Top Tube is conected to all the above, and yet the top tube can handle it, to sit/lean on your top tube like the guys in the picture no problem. ;)

Are you not the clown who recently broke your seat tube, and yet you are still man-handling your new bike by sitting on the top tube? That is pretty naughty of you!