Table Mountain Safety

kandui

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in the Cape Times article (front page, top, yesterday) that the one cyclist refused to press charges when the police nabbed the 'alleged' assailant. What is it with making a complaint to the police, the police doing their work and then the felon gets away because the victim didn't want to go further with the complaint?

What a muppet !! :angry: What was his reasoning behind not wanting to lay charges?

Edited by Caerus

damn...I never realised there were so many attacks in the Cape Town area...I rode Karbonkelberg over 1000 times between 2001 and 2008 without a single incident...now that it is rideable again what the hell do I do??

Anyways moving to Lake Garda at the end of this year...MTB heaven!!

Perhaps all of us should start riding in the safer parts of the Table Mountain National Park that are currently out of bounds for Mountain Bikers. How about a huge group protest ride directly from the SANParks offices in Newlands forest? That will piss off all the dogwalkers and hikers and get some attention. Done wildly enough it will get into the newspapers even.

Edited by DJR

Perhaps all of us should start riding in the safer parts of the Table Mountain National Park that are currently out of bounds for Mountain Bikers. How about a huge group protest ride directly from the SANParks offices in Newlands forest? That will piss off all the dogwalkers and hikers and get some attention. Doe wildly enough it will get into the newspapers even.

Kinda like a Toyi toyi, seems to be the only way government listen, maybe burn some tyres while youre at it.

Burn tyres, dance and sing (toyi toyi) at Rhodes memorial trails and then maybe, just maybe something will get done about it!

Oh, dont forget the signs! And the kicking over of the dustbins!

Edited by david16v

I was just looking at a map in another thread about groupe ridees in CT, so I got this off google and wanted to get input, Asfar as I know the guy who got stabbed on sunday sas stabed at the green dot? The real dangerzone is apparently at the red dot ??

post-1279-0-38984900-1296718408.jpg

We can't allow these thugs to drive people away from the mountain. I ride to the blockhouse every weekend as it is close to home and you don't need a lot of time to get a good workout.

Will help with any group action decided upon.

Kinda like a Toyi toyi, seems to be the only way government listen, maybe burn some tyres while youre at it.

lets do this.

lets do this.

this would have to be multi-racial to have impact.

I can just imagine what the opposition parties (malema) will say if its not... "whinging bunch of white folk with pricey bikes...blah blah blah"!

this would have to be multi-racial to have impact.

I can just imagine what the opposition parties (malema) will say if its not... "whinging bunch of white folk with pricey bikes...blah blah blah"!

good point, How do we call on non whites wthout making this a racial issue in the first place?

Calling all brothers!!

We could get in touch with cycling clubs in Southern Suburbs, Cape Flats. Cyclists around here are a mixed bunch.

I wonder If we should let those guys fight our fights.. Maybe get a runner"s club incolved? There was a large turnout at the bottom gate ofRoads mem on tuesday, nice rainbow nation bunch :)

The Green Dot is at a clump of trees where there is a sharp right turn up a very steer track to a beacon. In my opinion and from what I have heard, this is one of the hot spots. The perps hide behind a tree and jump you. You are slow coming up the hill from Rhodes Memorial side and they can run down the hill, turn left at the junction you can see on the map and vanish across the freeway into Obs.

The Red dot is an isolated corner,same as the pink dot. You are not that fast here and there is enough ground cover to hide here. This whole stretch is problematic, from the Pink dot, past the Green dot and further on to just short of Rhodes Memorial.