Can you use an 8spd cassette on a 10spd hub?

sputnik-f1

I want buy a new pair of wheels for my son's road bike. He uses 8 speed Tiagra shifters, will I be able to use an 8speed cassette on a 10 speed hub. The wheels I want to buy are Campy Khamsins. Like these http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Campagnolo-Khamsin-Pair-Road-Wheels_27175.htm

If one can't run it like that, could I use a 10 speed cassette and will it work with the 8 speed shifters, except for not shifting into the last 2 cogs?

I'm having the same problem, Sputnik. I have a Campy 8-speed cassette, but the freehub is not the same as later Campy versions. The 8-speed cassette seems to run on a Shimano-style freehub with straight, evenly spaced splines and doesn't fit on my Campy Ventos or Montreal 76s.

Not an expert at all. The shifters won't work. As far as I know there is no such thing as an x speed hub so that should work fine.

Other way round. The shifters will probably work.depending on the design of the freehub,your old cassette probably wont fit.

I am referring to the freehub. Some adverts for the wheels say 8,9,10 spd compatible, but the wheels I am wanting to buy just state 10 speed.

LeTurbo, I Googled the question and it looks like you could come right with the correct spacers. I will try and find a link for you , but it is no use to me cos my son is using Shimano.

"Other way round"

Surely an 8 speed cassette is the same width as a 10 speed cassette so the indexing on an 8 spped shifter will cause the chain to rest between the cogs on a 10 speed casette?

Note: There must be 1000 other threads on the internet on the same topic.

If the Khamsins have a Shimano freebody then an 8 speed cassette will work.

Almost all Shimano hubs are 8/9/10 speed compatable, except for a small generation of Shimano 7800 hubs that were 10 speed only.

For Campagnolo, you obviously need a campag freebody, but the rule is that 9/10/11 speed cassettes work on later generation hubs(post 98/99), and 8 speed cassettes need their own generation of hub.

The hub width is standard, as is the overall width of the cassette, what differs is the spacing between the cogs, ie it is narrower with 9 and 10 speed than with 8 speed (which is why you need a narrower chain). If your shifters are 9 speed or above they probably wont shift very well on an 8 speed cassette as they are designed to move the chain over a slightly shorter distance between each gear.

Also campag/shimano cassettes and shifters are not compatible (although shimano and SRAM are)

Hope this helps

According to the Campagnolo website, if you buy Khamsin wheels with the Shimano freehub/body, then you will be able to use an 8 speed Shimano cassette.

You can download the Khamsin technical doc where it states the Khamsins are compatable with the following:

5.3 - 8S, 9S, 10S SPROCKETS FROM SHIMANO INC. and SPROCKETS

FROM SRAM CORPORATION (on the Campagnolo® freewheel body

for Shimano Inc. 8/9/10s sprockets and Sram OG 1070 - OG 1090

sprockets)

Link to the doc:

http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/KHAMSIN.pdf

If you use a Shimano freebody on the hub, then a 10sp cassette will fit. I have just done the same thing on my bike, replacing an 8sp with a 10sp cassette. To use the 10sp cassette, you need 10sp shifters and chain, as the spacing is narrower. The front derailer doesn't need to be changed, and even the back one should still work, as the cable pull and indexing is controlled by the shifters.

I'm having the same problem, Sputnik. I have a Campy 8-speed cassette, but the freehub is not the same as later Campy versions. The 8-speed cassette seems to run on a Shimano-style freehub with straight, evenly spaced splines and doesn't fit on my Campy Ventos or Montreal 76s.

This shouldn't be the case. The 8 speed cassette can actually fit on a later campag freehub. The problem is that the ten speed freehub has deeper indentations than the 8 speed one, and according to those in the know, the 8 speed cassette chews up the 10 speed freehub. I was very tempted at one stage to try it out but decided against it.

If you use a Shimano freebody on the hub, then a 10sp cassette will fit. I have just done the same thing on my bike, replacing an 8sp with a 10sp cassette. To use the 10sp cassette, you need 10sp shifters and chain, as the spacing is narrower. The front derailer doesn't need to be changed, and even the back one should still work, as the cable pull and indexing is controlled by the shifters.

Finally, someone that has seen the light!

There are so many guys in the sales section selling "10 speed" front derailleurs, these does not exists, it is either a double or triple speed.

The FD does not know if you are running a 8/9/10/11 speed chain. The FD is controlled by the shifter.

Same thing for rear derailleurs, you can use a so called "9speed" RD with an 11 speed shifter no problem. Again, the RD is controlled by the shifter. Those limit screws can turn out hell of a lot.

There are so many guys in the sales section selling "10 speed" front derailleurs, these does not exists, it is either a double or triple speed.

The FD does not know if you are running a 8/9/10/11 speed chain. The FD is controlled by the shifter.

Same thing for rear derailleurs, you can use a so called "9speed" RD with an 11 speed shifter no problem. Again, the RD is controlled by the shifter. Those limit screws can turn out hell of a lot.

I agree.

I tried fitting a 10 speed on my sons 8 speed hub (well 8/9/10 is all the same hubs)........ Got the shifter to click 9 times :) but alas needed a 10 speed chain .......kept jumping when changing in the middle few cogs...........

ended up just resticting his current 8 speed cluster (U 14 restriction)till i have the $$ for STI's and a chain............( have a U16 10 speed cluster) ......... at that time might as well get an RD as well :) then its mostly Ultegra from the SORA he has now.........

10 speed front derailleurs are actually narrower than 9 and 8 speed, so an 8 speed chain will have more rub with a 10 speed derailleur, but it will still work.

You are totally wrong about rear derailleurs though. For instance, an 8 speed dura ace rear derailleur will ONLY work with 8 speed Dura Ace shifters. Also, 11 Speed campag rear derailleurs dont work all that well with 10 speed shifters. Correction, apparently they do work. But still its not a blanket statement, you have to try it for yourself. For instance, Sram 1:1 derailleurs look just like any other derailleur but shift twice the distance for the same amount of cable pull as a Shimano derailleur.

Edited by velo