RACIST BIKE LANES

LeTurbo

They also need cycle path from Khayelitsha or Mitchell Plain to Cape Town......

According to the municipality's response in the paper, there are. I'll admit that, not having been in those areas, I must to take them at their word.

What Tony misses is that the West Coast hasn't had public transport previously and that the roads are inadequate to the load.Indeed, on the few occasions when I've been out Killarney Gardens way early in the morning, I've been amazed at the number of Black commuters on old steel machines making their way towards town.

Also, that the very purpose of the cycle tracks is to stop people hanging out of train doors. And DA larneys out of their cars.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Tony Ehrenreich lost the right to be the voice of the people when he drove to a private hospital in his Merc a while back.

he came to present to us last year...i was quite excited, as being born in the 80's, it's not often you get to see a real life communist. Anyway, he's not a total moron, a lot of the stuff he said made sense. He is pretty anti-corruption for starters. The problem is the few things that made ZERO sense.

but ja, i followed him to the parking lot in the hope that I could take a photo of him getting into a late model german automobile....he drove a passat that day.

i think i am going to have to switch on my election filter soon..this stuff gets tiring over and over and over again

The problem lies with the apathy of government. They took over the reigns with a functioning albeit somewhat lacking public transport system among other things. In the years that followed, the taxi industry reared it's ugly head and as is normal for our current crop of politicians, they left the taxi bosses to play resulting in an industry that is a law unto themselves. If the givernment wants to get a functioning public transport system going they have to regulate the taxi industry and change the mindset of the people who will be using the public transport.

Good luck to them... :thumbup:

Most disadvantaged cyclist in the area use Koeberg road. The authorities have gone to an inordinate amount of trouble recently to make it as un-bike friendly as possible. It almost looks deliberate :unsure:

They also need cycle path from Khayelitsha or Mitchell Plain to Cape Town......

They only cycle when they rob a bike....otherwise they walk to go an rob a bike

Most disadvantaged cyclist in the area use Koeberg road. The authorities have gone to an inordinate amount of trouble recently to make it as un-bike friendly as possible. It almost looks deliberate :unsure:

Well thats the road that I use too on my bike.

What a joke.

Now they have just taken my yellow lane away that used to be next to the waste plant.

Now on my way home I literally have to cycle in the right (fast) lane to get home as the left lane is now too narrow for big cars, let alone leaving some space for me.

The problem lies with the apathy of government. They took over the reigns with a functioning albeit somewhat lacking public transport system among other things. In the years that followed, the taxi industry reared it's ugly head and as is normal for our current crop of politicians, they left the taxi bosses to play resulting in an industry that is a law unto themselves. If the givernment wants to get a functioning public transport system going they have to regulate the taxi industry and change the mindset of the people who will be using the public transport.

Good luck to them... :thumbup:

Exactly, they need more then luck, maybe divine intervention. Nothing will change, it just gets worse.

I think the term "Racist" is used and abused. It gets worked into conversations as an empty, yet covertly aggressive means of casting a shadow of doubt onto the second parties intentions. It is too easy to misuse the word.

I also think that being called a racist is, in itself, racist, in that the speaker is making a judgment call based on the race of the receiver.

Here is the COSATU press release:

COSATU PRESS STATEMENT ON BICYCLE TRAIL LAUNCHED IN MILNERTON

1ST FEBRUARY 2011

Bicycle lanes a great gimmick for the wealthy whilst poor have to hang

outside of trains

COSATU is outraged that the DA in the Western Cape and the City of Cape Town

prioritises bicycle lanes for white wealthy citizens, whilst poorer

communities on the Cape Flats are subjected to overcrowded and unsafe public

transport every day of their lives. Metro Rail has taken 10 trains out of

service due to the lack of timeous maintenance, which has led to overcrowded

and unsafe trains. On a daily basis people can be seen hanging out of trains

in there desperate efforts to get to work on time. Instead of the DA hiring

busses to run in parallel to these train lines, to minimise the

overcrowding, they instead spend millions of the meagre transport resources

to give the DA white constituency in Milnerton a special bicycle lane. These

larneys of Milnerton all have cars anyway, so they should not be the most

urgent consideration of public funds.

This latest move by the DA just shows again their lack of regard for the

challenges facing poor, mainly black and Coloured communities on the Cape

Flats. The improvement and maintenance of white privilege is the DA hall

mark. We demand that the money spent on this gimmick bicycle lane for the

larneys , be redirected to the hiring of busses to assist working families

to get to their work places safely, during this crisis in the Metro Rail

system. The Premier and the Mayor have until 14 February to respond to this

desperate demands, failing which we will have option but to lay charges

against their offices.

This gimmick may have an appeal to the wealthy DA voters of Milnerton, but

it is done, by endangering the lives of poor working families, from the Cape

Flats.

For questions please call Tony Ehrenreich at 082 77 33194

Its a political press statement, made by a political party, to achieve a political end. Try not to get too caught up in it. The bike lanes are not going to be taken away.

"Metro Rail has taken 10 trains out of

in there desperate efforts to get to work on time."

Seems Metro rail should be fitting the bill if extra busses are required.

Its a political press statement, made by a political party, to achieve a political end. Try not to get too caught up in it. The bike lanes are not going to be taken away.

This is true, but unfortunatly no more will be built. Surely they could see the benefits of getting commuters onto bikes? Oh wait, this is Africa, no logical thinking happens in Government.

"Metro Rail has taken 10 trains out of

in there desperate efforts to get to work on time."

Seems Metro rail should be fitting the bill if extra busses are required.

Exactly, I bet a lack of experienced & quailified train engineers being the problem

Edited by Caerus

That's what I said earlier. The trains being out of order is recent. The plans for the cycle lanes have been around for some time. It's point-scoring.

It's about time the SA citizens took SERIOUS notice of what is happening in the East. There is not a political uprising, but a PEOPLES revolution.

It's high time we took back our country, Black, White or green, we are South Africans! THIS IS OUR COUNTRY.

Guyfalks said it best "the people should not be afraid of their government, the government should be afraid of it's people!

Take that Tony.....we want your seat in gov. :clap: