WE MATCH ANY QUOTE

spongebob

I feel like a real fool! I have just purchased a new Merida. I had R10k in my pocket to get a new bike. I live in Milnerton, so I went to that huge "cycling superstore chain" near my house. I had looked on their website before going in and saw the bike I wanted at R9,999. When I got there, they did not want to sell me that bike, but another brand they carry, even though the bike I wanted was on the floor. However, I insisted that I wanted the Merida and then asked them what their best price was. I was told R9,999 - the one that was advertised on the website. I asked them about their price matching offer and they told it was still valid. If I went to another shop and got a lower, written quote, the would match or better it. But they told me that they were the cheapest in town, so I should not even bother. Well, I thought I would check just in case. I found another shop about 10 mins drive from there and the price I was quoted was R9,100! So I went back to the superstore and they did match the price and i bought the bike. However, when I now think about, I made a mistake. Why should have I bothered to go back to the superstore? They were going to charge me a higher price to start with unless I shopped around. It is very easy to match someone else's quote - if they really are interested in having lower prices, then they should mark the bike down in the first place and not take the easy way out by just matching prices. The R9,100 I was quoted by the other store was the price that the bike was marked on the floor at - not a negotiated one. That seems a much fairer way to do business. I will not get caught with this type of shell game again and it is the last time I take my business there.

Why did you bother going back to the supercycling store anyway. They showed you they are cheats and still you went back. Damn the man, save the empire (little man).

An unfortunate lesson to have had to learn :( , always get at least 3-4 prices from different places. You gotta play them against each other.

Why did you bother going back to the supercycling store anyway. They showed you they are cheats and still you went back. Damn the man, save the empire (little man).

You are right. When I thought about, I realised I was wrong to go back. I guess it is human nature to "prove" them them wrong with a lower quote. I am going to call the other bike shop and give them an apology - the actually were much more helpful and friendly anyway.

I will never do business that way. Ill shop around, and the best offer gets my deal. I am in sales myself, and nothing is more irritating when a potential customer uses my price to try and drive down my competitors pricing.

I will never do business that way. Ill shop around, and the best offer gets my deal. I am in sales myself, and nothing is more irritating when a potential customer uses my price to try and drive down my competitors pricing.

I agree - I guess the most irritating fact is that they encourage these tactics on their website with the price match policy. As I said, it will not happen to me again. I just wanted to point out that this is an unpleasant way of doing business.

Whats wrong with that? Thats business mate

Hmm, yeah, I dont do business like that, I expect a store to give me the best deal, and they get one shot, if I get a better deal elsewhere, I buy it there, I dont think its right to predujice a store who offered a better deal off the bat, by going back and doing price matching elsewhere.

I feel like a real fool! I have just purchased a new Merida. I had R10k in my pocket to get a new bike. I live in Milnerton, so I went to that huge "cycling superstore chain" near my house. I had looked on their website before going in and saw the bike I wanted at R9,999. When I got there, they did not want to sell me that bike, but another brand they carry, even though the bike I wanted was on the floor. However, I insisted that I wanted the Merida and then asked them what their best price was. I was told R9,999 - the one that was advertised on the website. I asked them about their price matching offer and they told it was still valid. If I went to another shop and got a lower, written quote, the would match or better it. But they told me that they were the cheapest in town, so I should not even bother. Well, I thought I would check just in case. I found another shop about 10 mins drive from there and the price I was quoted was R9,100! So I went back to the superstore and they did match the price and i bought the bike. However, when I now think about, I made a mistake. Why should have I bothered to go back to the superstore? They were going to charge me a higher price to start with unless I shopped around. It is very easy to match someone else's quote - if they really are interested in having lower prices, then they should mark the bike down in the first place and not take the easy way out by just matching prices. The R9,100 I was quoted by the other store was the price that the bike was marked on the floor at - not a negotiated one. That seems a much fairer way to do business. I will not get caught with this type of shell game again and it is the last time I take my business there.

great first post.

did you get any add-ons for that price. service plan etc?

i avoid the superstore out of principle because i believe they have got away with murder for the alleged price fixing scheme.

Wait, they stood by what they said beat matched the quote and you're still upset?

Faaark man, come on.

Don't get me wrong - I am not upset with them - I am upset with myself. They did exactly what they said - they matched the price. But, when I first went in their "best" price was the higher one and they could not do any better. But suddenly if business is going to another store, there is a "better" price! It just seems a bit unfair to me. But it is my problem not theirs.

great first post.

did you get any add-ons for that price. service plan etc?

i avoid the superstore out of principle because i believe they have got away with murder for the alleged price fixing scheme.

No it was for the bike only. I was offered a similar service plan with the other place.