Guys driving 4x4's or any other vehicle

the_other_guy

just smile and wave boys, smile and wave. Also add in an air kiss or two - other hand gestures can cause road rage ;) .

I believe that I am honestly in the minority here purely becuase I am a cyclist - have a german SUV, actually use the indicators, wait for cyclists (even cycling next to each other :angry: ) and pass in the oncoming lane not to make fellow cyclists anxious

Seems to me there's some sort of undercurrent of oversensitive bitterness about people who own 4x4's in particular. I'm not a psychologist, so I won't try to unpack that one.

Actually, for me the most dangerous cars on the road are not necessarily 4x4 owners, but actually young people in their little student type cars very early on a Saturday or Sunday morning. The only reason they're out there at that hour, with a car full of people and music blaring, is because they're coming home from the nightclub and they're pissed out of their minds. I have had many more nasty incidents with these types of people than 4x4 owners (in fact those early morning weekend rides in the city used to terrify me. Happy I now live in the country). How many of the people in this thread who are complaining about 4x4's fit into that category, i.e. 20-somethings who haven't had their license very long yet still rate their driving skills up there with Michael Schumacher?

And we haven't even started about taxis (lost a friend to one of those).

What other category of car owner can we think up, there are lots. In the mean time, take a deep breath and go find a 4x4 owner to make friends with :D

Been cycling long? this is just par for the course, it is as much a part of riding in SA as potholes and glass in the roads. There is absolutely nothing that you can do to re-educate the motoring public. If you cant ignore it you should be on your MTB

This sort of thing happens all the time. The other day, I was approaching a red light, and 2 guys in a delivery van tried to block the left shoulder by moving over onto it so that I could not pass. I bunny-hopped onto the pavement and simply hopped off at the front as the light turned green, so no drama. Then the van pulled up next to me and started attacking me verbally. I ignored it, but when we stopped at the next red light, I pulled up next to the driver and asked him what he felt I did wrong. He was upset that I was passing on the left, so I asked that if I am not allowed to pass him on the shoulder, my only other alternative would be to sit in the middle of the road, and he would therefor not be able to pass me in free flowing traffic. I politely told the guy to consider other road users and if he ever felt like losing his huginormous gutt, he should try getting a bike ride it every now and again. Maybe he would be able to see what his toes like without looking in a mirror.

Well here's my 2 cents

In short, the exact opposite to what you instinct tells you to.

Instead of swearing and showing sings, smile nicely and blow him/her a kiss. The possible outcomes are as follows.

1) The driver is a guy. Trust me, this pisses him off way more than anything you can scream at him.

2) The driver is a woman. She thinks nothing of it and carries on going.

3) The driver is a woman. My place or yours...

4) The driver is a guy. You realize your in Cape Town. My place or yours... :)

Not sure how this would play out for the lady riders though?

If on a MTB, just show him/her/it the BIRD when you have some single track escape routes at your disposal with e.g. lots of trees, rocks and bush so that he/she/it cannot come after you or....just ignore him/her/it and memorize the number plate, make of vehicle, etc. as you could meet up one day in some parking lot or something in future and sort out your differences.

REMEMBER though, taxis can go where most 4 x 4's won't even attempt to go...If you are on a road bike, you are forked! Just smile and wave in the nicest possible way but keep in mind the parking lot scenario.