Easton EA90 SL or Mavic Ksyrium Elite?

cosborne

From your experience guys please let me know which one I should look at buying? CRC has some very good prices- unless someone has a pair either new or very little milege. Thanks!

R4400 for both hey. Been doing reviews on the the Eastons but it doesn't look good hey. Broken spokes galore! I'm also an Easton guy- own some EA70's at the moment, but after all the reviews I'm thinking Mavics. Just need people's advice as I've never owned some Mavics.

R4400 for both hey. Been doing reviews on the the Eastons but it doesn't look good hey. Broken spokes galore! I'm also an Easton guy- own some EA70's at the moment, but after all the reviews I'm thinking Mavics. Just need people's advice as I've never owned some Mavics.

Don't be concerned with crappy internet reviews! I had the same problem, reading reviews, and bought something else. After a year of struggeling with the other brand, I just bought a set of Easton EA50 SL, for training. The weight the same, as the other set, at half the price!

Also, know a guy, who is hard on bikes ie broken BB's, Cranks etc. He ONLY rides Easton, and has NEVER broken a spoke on one set. His training wheels are EA90 SL's

Edited by Black&Blue

I've got a pair of Ksyrium SL's. (I know, slightly different.)

I got them 2nd hand in 2004 or thereabouts. Rode them until this spring, when I got the bearings replaced before I put them up for sale. The BSG reckoned that there was no need to replace the bearings, but I went ahead and did it anyway to make it easier to sell them.

Anyhoo, those wheels gave me no problems at all over several thousand km - I don't keep track.

The only issue with the SL's, which may be different on the Elites, is that the spoke nipples can seize into the rims, which would be a prob if it happened and I needed to replace a spoke.

Cosborne, I have Mavic Ksyrium SL on my one bike and Easton EC 90 SL carbon clinchers on the other bike. (not exactly EA's) Both wheelsets are great, and I have not experienced any problems whatsoever. If I have to choose, I will take the Eastons, just because of their hubs, and low rolling resistance, but then again the Mavics with the broader spokes looks awesome. I know this was not much help, but I am sure you will be happy with either one.

I've got a pair of Ksyrium SL's. (I know, slightly different.)

The only issue with the SL's, which may be different on the Elites, is that the spoke nipples can seize into the rims, which would be a prob if it happened and I needed to replace a spoke.

I am with you on the Mavic nipple issue, however with a little bit of lube or silicone spray on the nipple now and again will alleviate this problem.

I recently felt that I needed new wheels, and the thought that the Easton EA90's would be nice, but after reading all the reviews, went with another set of Ksyrium Elites for R4500.00. I weigh 100kg.

My previous Ksyriums are about 5 or 6 years old with just short of 20 000km - they still run true, have never replaced a spoke and the bearings are still fine (one or two spokes are fused to the rim and the pawls in the free hub body look a bit tired). I use them as my 'training' wheels now and use the new pair as 'racing' wheels.

(Doesn't CRC have a thinkg about not selling Mavic products abroad?)

Yup Splat I just saw the thing about not selling Mavic's aoutside the EU :huh: Here in SA they are darn pricey though!

I ride a set of 2006 Ksyriums as training wheels and 2009 Ksyriums as a racing set. (200g difference between the 2 sets, 400g if you take tubes and tyres into consideration.)

My GF rides a set of Easton EA90's.

I like the Mavics for their racy look and sound. The placebo effect of believing those bladed spokes slice through the air better than normal spokes also weighs in the Mavic’s favour.

The Eastons are SMOOTH and they have a classic quality and feel about them.

It’s like comparing a German saloon and a Japanese sports car with similar performance specs. In the end I believe it boils down to personal taste.

I have Ksyruim Elite , hav not done to much milage on them around 2500 km , very responsive but no issues so far.

Must say I was looking at the Easton EA/EC90's . Think I will move over to CRC site now.