Customs and duties

Racer X

Hi Guys,

Okay so I'm looking at bringing in a fairly special brand in the country. Does any one know where I can find info regarding the duties and customs on bike components or does anyone know it off hand? Run through the net and the SARS site but haven't found diddly squat.

Thanks in advance.

It might me a good idea to find somebody or a company that can handle it on your behalf. Like a shipping and freight company. I am also looking for somebody in Cape Town to handle something similar for me (not bike parts).

Sars duties on bike frames and components are set at 15.4% - that denotes VAT charged on declared value of goods (as per invoice)

Basically, they add 10% to the value of any parts/frames shipped in and then charge VAT on that value. Essentially the same as charging 15.4% on the original amount.

Beware though - if you buy in a full bike, any clothing or a large amount of spares that Customs could reasonably suspect to make up a full bike, you WILL get whacked with an import duty, where an additional 40% is lopped onto the value of the goods/parts/clothing and then VAT is charged over and above that.

Otherwise, perform a search to view previous posts on the SAAAAAAAME information. I swear there must be 20 more threads on this EXACT question.

seeking some company's help which could handle it for u seems better..

Basically, they add 10% to the value of any parts/frames shipped in and then charge VAT on that value. Essentially the same as charging 15.4% on the original amount.

Am I understanding this correct? Do you mean they only charge VAT on the calculated 10% value?