Road race - essential equipment

Rick

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok great, so for me the consensus so far seems to be that more is better, be prepared etc. I'm happy with that.

So the final question then is why would you not use a saddle bag? It seems like a logical thing to do and it's at least 5 things that you don't forget to put in your shirt on race day. Also, I'm wondering if a multitool with chainbreaker isn't going to feel awkward in the back pocket, maybe a little heavy or just dense.

Is there a practical reason why guys don't like saddle bags or is it just bike aesthetics?

Forget the style police. Use small neat saddlebag and you won't forget anything in the car. I am a two tube man. Once hit a pothole in a stage race at about 50kmph and punctured both tyres - only one tube and I lost a lot of time. Not very easy to borrow a tube from guys passing at that speed.

Awesome feedback so far, very interesting. If I can just clarrify one or two things about my question:

Please think only in terms of race day - let's say Argus for argument's sake. For training I carry everything, but not for a race maybe.

The two major decisions I am facing is: If you carry 2 tubes (or 1 tube and repair pads) + 3 bombs, then is the pump necessary? I guess this depends on the reliability of the bombs. Then, if you say yes to pump, would you carry only 2 bombs (or 1)? I have never punctured in a race and never twice in one training ride.

Then the chain-breaker: I always carry it training because i broke a chain last year and swore i would be totally prepared in future. Thing is that when i replaced the chain I realised how stretched the old one was (far overdue for a replacement). So the question is, if your chain is well maintained, well lubed and replaced regularily perhaps the chain breaker is not needed on race day?

I would only use a chain breaker on an MTB, I cant see a road bike taking such a hammering if its maintained I see you should have your chain checked every 500-800 kms far more often on the mtb though