EF Education-EasyPost : Chirps, Opinions, Updates

'Dale

pity Nibs is taking his points with him to, i think, Astana.

Great result for the team before he exits.

I like the way Basso supported him as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

pity Nibs is taking his points with him to, i think, Astana.

Great result for the team before he exits.

I like the way Basso supported him as well.

Dale we knew this would happen but still a bit sad now it has.

Nibali signs two-year contract with Astana

Italian takes Vanoti and Agnoli with him to Kazakh team

Vincenzo Nibali has signed with Team Astana for two years, Allen Chayzhunusov, vice-president of the Kazakhstan Cycling Federation has confirmed. Nibali will take two of his Liquigas Cannondale teammates with him, Valerio Agnoli and Alessandro Vanotti. The Italian has podiumed in all three grand tours.

Nibali, 27, most recently finished third in the Tour de France. This season he also won Tirreno-Adriatico, was second in the Tour of Oman and Liege-Bastogne-Liege, and was third in Milan-San Remo.

In 2011, he finished second overall in the Giro d'Italia and in 2010 he won the Vuelta a Espana the first time he raced it.

The Kazakh team, under general manager Giuseppe Martinelli, will have a strong Italian faction in the coming year. In addition to these three riders, there are currently six Italian riders on the team and a number of Italian mechanics, soigneurs and doctors.

Nibali's arrival at Astana is expected to signal the departure of Roman Kreuziger, who is rumoured to be moving to Saxo Bank-Tinkoff Bank.

Edited by nickc

Liquigas hopes Tour success could help find sponsor

• Thursday, 19 July 2012
  • Gregor Brown in Bagnères-de-Luchon
  • 0 Comments

http://cyclingweekly.media.ipcdigital.co.uk/11141%7C000007c58%7Cc6ae_orh270w270_tdf12st8-Liquigas-chases.jpg

Liquigas-Cannondale chase, Tour de France 2012, stage eight

Liquigas-Cannondale welcomes all the success it is enjoying this year in the Tour de France since changes are in store for 2013. Vincenzo Nibali, third overall, is leaving and title sponsor Liquigas is likely to leave too.

"Certainly, results help in finding something, but I don't believe that immediate success equals sponsorship," Roberto Amadio, the team's general manager told Cycling Weekly this morning. "Sponsors arrive because you have a solid structure, something that you've proved over eight years. It's clear, though, that sponsors are pleased by results and it helps. It's all added together in the end."

Sicilian Vincenzo Nibali is ready to give the Italian first division team its first podium spot in the Tour de France since it began in 2005. It has already won the Giro d'Italia with Ivan Basso in 2010 and the Vuelta a España with Nibali in 2010.

Slovak Peter Sagan secured three stage wins this year and positioned himself to win the green jersey. He leads the points competition by 356 points over André Greipel (Lotto-Belisol) at 254 points with three days to race.

After the Tour de France ends in Paris, Amadio must seriously start to consider the team's future. Its Grand Tour star is leaving and likely to join the Astana team. Liquigas, an Italian natural gas company, is likely pulling out too.

US bike manufacturer, Cannondale reportedly will take over title sponsorship, as the BMC Bicycles company funds Cadel Evans' team. Amadio is said to be also looking for a second title sponsor. With Italy suffering debt problems, he has a difficult search on his hands.

"It's a particular moment for all the sponsors in Italy," he said of Liquigas. "They are evaluating their involvement."

Amadio welcomed Nibali in his second year as a professional when he was only 21 years old and helped him develop. He filled Ivan Basso's shoes as Liquigas' Grand Tour captain. When Basso won the Giro in 2010, Nibali helped himself to a stage win and placed third overall. He went on to win the Vuelta. This year, he won the Tirreno-Adriatico stage race and nearly pulled off a 20km solo attack in Liège-Bastogne-Liège one-day classic.

"We made our offer, what we thought was best. There's a big difference in what the other teams are offering, though," said Amadio. "I'm sorry, but we've had seven years together, grew together. [his Tour] shows that we are able to help young riders grow and realise their dreams."

His new star, Sagan re-signed earlier this year through 2014. Sagan and riders like Moreno Moser, winner of the Tour of Poland, will lead Amadio's team though the changes.

With Italy suffering debt problems, he has a difficult search on his hands.

"It's a particular moment for all the sponsors in Italy," he said of Liquigas. "They are evaluating their involvement."

Hmm, yeah, I think if Liquigas was going to stay on as title sponsor they would never have let those three, and especially Nibs, go without a fight, this company has deep pockets, and I doubt finances would be an issue if they intended staying on for another stretch, Nibs is worth his wage, and to a massive company like Liquigas I cant see it been an issue.

However, with them saying they will leave, I cant see Cannondale been in the same position financially to carry such a high wage, so my feeling is Cannondale said "No, but sorry, without Liquigas we just cant afford it on our own" and as sponsors are scarce out there and there are no guarantees they will get one, they had no choice but to wave him "Goodbye".

Unfortunate I think, but we will have to see how he dos at Astana, Kreuziger hasn't really blossomed there, and there's suggestions he is also off to Saxo, I think Vino and Company run a tight ship at Astana, and it may not be to everyone's taste.

Wonder how it will roll with the Schleckies, reported to join Astana, with Nibs...

Yeah, dont know, even if Vino isnt racing I still think he largely runs the ship, and I am not sure he will be too sympathetic to the Schlecks whims and fancies, but we will see I guess.

From velonews:

Why did Nibali leave Liquigas? He did so because it was good for both his wallet and sporting career. For one, Liquigas is changing. Team manager Roberto Amadio is working with Cannondale to take over title sponsorship. He told VeloNews yesterday that towards the end of August, after the USA Pro Challenge, he would have some good news. However, not having a sponsor secure may have played into negotiations in mid-May when Nibali was leaving for the Amgen Tour of California.

The other reason to leave is to have a change of air. Nibali has a new girlfriend, a new home — they have transferred to Lugano, Switzerland, so she can be close to her university — and so why not a new team? His agent, Alex Carera also works with Damiano Cunego and has seen him stagnate over seven years at Lampre-ISD. Once he was tipped for grand tour greatness, but Cunego has achieved little since his breakthrough Giro win in 2004 — with Martinelli at Saeco.

Movistar announced the signing of Liquigas-Cannondale's Eros Capecchi and Sylwester Szmyd. The pair have both signed two-year contracts with the Spanish team and will join at the end of the current season.

Movistar announced the signing of Liquigas-Cannondale's Eros Capecchi and Sylwester Szmyd. The pair have both signed two-year contracts with the Spanish team and will join at the end of the current season.

Its ok, they wont be missed.

Its ok, they wont be missed.

It's a big loss to the team, Cav.

Especially Szmyd.

Let's see where this all rolls to.

:wacko:

If the team folds, watch for Sagan in Quickstep colours, alongside Boonen and Chavanel.

It's a big loss to the team, Cav.

Especially Szmyd.

Let's see where this all rolls to.

:wacko:

Hell Leaky Gas is leaking riders.

They need to find a major sponser soon !!

If the team folds, watch for Sagan in Quickstep colours, alongside ahead of Boonen and Chavanel.

There fixed.... :devil: