Muscle Recovery

Chubba

Had a busy weekend on the bike and my legs are very lame/stiff.

I have heard about using slow-mag (http://www.slowmag.com/)to aid recovery? Anyone had success with this?

I have stretched and will go for a light workout tomorrow.

Sure, magnesium and calcium are two important electrolytes that need to be replenished after exercise (the other main ones being sodium and potassium), and chronically low levels in the body will lead to increased chance of cramping during high intensity exercise (although some say Mag phos is better for that).

However, as I understand it, that's just one small aspect of your recovery regimen. I would guess the most important things to deal with after a long session or race are:

1. Taking full advantage of the 'glycogen window' right after the session

2. Correct protein intake (esp. whey) for muscle repair

Sure, magnesium and calcium are two important electrolytes that need to be replenished after exercise (the other main ones being sodium and potassium), and chronically low levels in the body will lead to increased chance of cramping during high intensity exercise (although some say Mag phos is better for that).

However, as I understand it, that's just one small aspect of your recovery regimen. I would guess the most important things to deal with after a long session or race are:

1. Taking full advantage of the 'glycogen window' right after the session

2. Correct protein intake (esp. whey) for muscle repair

Thanks tombeej

I have a whey protein that i take, which has traces of glutamine. What other supplements would you recommend for the others?

Could you elaborate on this please: "1. Taking full advantage of the 'glycogen window' right after the session"

Could you elaborate on this please: "1. Taking full advantage of the 'glycogen window' right after the session"

the glycogen window is roughly 30 minutes after the exercise when your body is said to be most effective in absorbing the nutrients needed to aid in the recovery. So get your protein and amino acids in as soon after the ride/exercise as possible. L-Glutamine is a fantastic amino acid catalyst which will help your body make the most of the protein you are consuming, 5g per day will be enough.

Had a busy weekend on the bike and my legs are very lame/stiff.

I have heard about using slow-mag (http://www.slowmag.com/)to aid recovery? Anyone had success with this?

I have stretched and will go for a light workout tomorrow.

Sales talk?

Its normal for legs to feel lame?? / stiff after "busy" heavy training that they are not accustomed to.

Unless you have a magnesium deficiency all slowmag is going to do is make you poo more.

Light workout and stretch sounds like a better plan

Agree with SwissVan, unless you are chronically deficient in magnesium, this might be an expensive and unnecessary supplement to take. I also haven't read any research that say it has a major role to play in terms of muscle recovery. As I understand it, the main electrolytes that need replacing are sodium, potassium and calcium. Magnesium is sometimes referred to as 'the forgotten electrolyte'. Sure, if you are deficient then a full course of slow-mag (i.e. until you finish the bottle) should set you right.

I'm also a swimmer. For a while last year I was cramping badly in the pool, especially once I went past 50 or 60 laps. Had a thought I may be magnesium deficient, so I went onto slow-mag for a while. By the time I finished the course, I was 100% again. I'm not taking any magnesium supplements now because I don't feel it's necessary.

Again, for muscle recovery, I'd say the glycogen window, plus the proper protein (whey) & general electrolyte replenishment would be the best things to focus on.

Here's a nice article I found on the subject: http://hammernutrition.co.za/knowledge/recover-well

Agree with SwissVan, unless you are chronically deficient in magnesium, this might be an expensive and unnecessary supplement to take. I also haven't read any research that say it has a major role to play in terms of muscle recovery. As I understand it, the main electrolytes that need replacing are sodium, potassium and calcium. Magnesium is sometimes referred to as 'the forgotten electrolyte'. Sure, if you are deficient then a full course of slow-mag (i.e. until you finish the bottle) should set you right.

I'm also a swimmer. For a while last year I was cramping badly in the pool, especially once I went past 50 or 60 laps. Had a thought I may be magnesium deficient, so I went onto slow-mag for a while. By the time I finished the course, I was 100% again. I'm not taking any magnesium supplements now because I don't feel it's necessary.

Again, for muscle recovery, I'd say the glycogen window, plus the proper protein (whey) & general electrolyte replenishment would be the best things to focus on.

Here's a nice article I found on the subject: http://hammernutrition.co.za/knowledge/recover-well

thanks for the feedback. interesting article.

Enjoy your post ride recovery by getting all you need in terms of immediate nutrition with a choc milkshake and a couple of handfuls of biltong. FiT chocolate recovery Duratrain http://www.fitsportslab.com , iced up the night before and still cold with particles of ice straight after the ride is the most fun in a bike bottle that your taste buds can ever have. Then park off in front of the TV, after a warm bath, doze off with a smile on your face. This weekend I did my most intense training session with the Sabie pre-ride of 70km's on Saturday and a 151km road ride at pace the next. Today I'm climbing the stairs with a subdued spring, but with a lot less pain and stiffness that I expected after doing the above. And some pasta and steak for Sunday dinner- easy.

Agree with Swiss - a pharmacist told me that magnesium is needed for the muscle to "relax" after contraction - too little mag and you cramp. So once the body is stocked up it reduced the chances of cramping but doesn't help recovery