Events

Cycling South Africa, Pedal Power Association reach agreement

· By Press Office · 45 comments

It is with great pleasure that Cycling South Africa, Pedal Power Association and the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust announce that an agreement has been reached between the three organisations in respect of the 2015 Cape Town Cycle Tour. The outcome of recent discussions between the parties is that the events of the Cape Town Lifecycle Week have been placed on the National Cycling Calendar of Cycling SA.

This now clears the way for riders from across the board, both licensed and unlicensed, to participate without fear of sanction in the events of the Cape Town Cycle Tour Lifecycle Week. Cycling South Africa, Pedal Power Association and the Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust are committed to pursuing discussions to ensure that the three organisations work together to ensure that cycling across the spectrum in South Africa benefits from a clear and unified approach.

Related posts

Comments

NotSoBigBen

Feb 23, 2015, 1:48 PM

Is anyone seriously surprised that the PPA/CSA have come to an agreement on the Argust? Just posturing from both sides to my mind ....

Stumbles

Feb 23, 2015, 1:49 PM

good news, i wonder what the terms are.

Nibali

Feb 23, 2015, 1:50 PM

Great news! I wonder how the day licence business is going to be sorted out...

rock

Feb 23, 2015, 2:24 PM

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/money_suitcase.jpg

DJR

Feb 23, 2015, 2:26 PM

Did the tail wag the dog or did the dog wag the tail? Still glad! :thumbup:

Icycling

Feb 23, 2015, 2:33 PM

I will take the liberty to say on behalf of all licencse cyclist (and some non licensed) and the spectator who like to see the best feild at this event in action - Thank you to all parties involved to working out an agreement on behalf of the cyclists. This does indeed make us “the cyclist” not just feel like “pawn" but rather the people / members that all the parties are serving.

Hope the decission is not to late for the likes of CAV to ride!

Prozac

Feb 23, 2015, 2:41 PM

its about time ! 

I

Cargyrl

Feb 23, 2015, 2:46 PM

Happy days,  cyclists have won at the end of the day. All who are riding, have a fast and safe one.

nonky

Feb 23, 2015, 3:13 PM

Next up, Juju and JZ: The Reconciliation...

r0adrunner

Feb 23, 2015, 5:05 PM

Ridiculousness

Tiny K

Feb 23, 2015, 5:08 PM

CSA gave up too easily... unless Rock has it right

Skubarra

Feb 23, 2015, 7:22 PM

CSA gave up too easily... unless Rock has it right

Not sure I follow you - would you have preferred a situation where licensed riders are banned & fined for doing a funride?

Anyway, last year this rule was suspended, this year a deal was made for 2015 - so what will happen in 2016 onwards? Doesn't matter on whose side you are in this "problem", its obvious that the situation between PPA & CSA needs to be sorted out permanently otherwise we are just delaying the mess for another year.

milky4130

Feb 23, 2015, 8:25 PM

Looks like for 2016 i'll be taking out day licenses until after the Fun ride World Champs, will work out more expensive but no ban or event suspensions.

DJR

Feb 24, 2015, 5:17 AM

Looks like for 2016 i'll be taking out day licenses until after the Fun ride World Champs, will work out more expensive but no ban or event suspensions.

Thinking outside the box :thumbup:

DJR

Feb 24, 2015, 5:19 AM

..............................Doesn't matter on whose side you are in this "problem", its obvious that the situation between PPA & CSA needs to be sorted out permanently otherwise we are just delaying the mess for another year.

Agreed 100%. With the emphasis on PERMANENTLY. Which means an agreement that is fair to all parties and that is sustainable in the long run.

GoLefty!!

Feb 24, 2015, 6:39 AM

Somehow I don't believe the csa "we want the money " campaign is over. This is just ceasefire for good pr

paul_ct

Feb 24, 2015, 6:47 AM

I wonder what the terms of the agreement were. I imagine going forward the CTCT just increases the entry price to cover the R6/cyclist and the day licence is added on too.

GoLefty!!

Feb 24, 2015, 6:57 AM

But only for csa members. I don't have a csa license and don't need one permanently.

Tiny K

Feb 24, 2015, 8:08 AM

Not sure I follow you - would you have preferred a situation where licensed riders are banned & fined for doing a funride?

Anyway, last year this rule was suspended, this year a deal was made for 2015 - so what will happen in 2016 onwards? Doesn't matter on whose side you are in this "problem", its obvious that the situation between PPA & CSA needs to be sorted out permanently otherwise we are just delaying the mess for another year.

I have been following this CSA vs PPA thing for a while now, and while I initially felt 'yay, the underdog won' for PPA last year, I get the feeling (more and more) that PPA is just a business and are really just as bad as (if not worse) than the 'money grabbing' CSA. 

I have a membership to CSA (think it was like R120 for the year) and it gives me great benefits should I be involved in an accident or crash. PPA gives me a seeded group race number... and that's about it. Everything else comes at a premium, and even getting the discounted race entry fee, it's still a lot of money to enter the races available.

What still bothers me is that PPA is charging R35 for a day license where CSA have indicated that they only charge R6 per rider per event - where does the other R29 go? I tried asking on vleisboek but PPA gave such a haphazard answer, it wasn't really clear... pretty much dodging the question.

Ultimately, as I have come to realise, PPA is for the weekend warrior (because there are loads of them) and NOT for the racing snakes. PPA were good once upon a time, but they have become lazy (in my opinion) and, as an apparent club, do not cater for all their members' needs.

Skubarra

Feb 24, 2015, 8:48 AM

I have been following this CSA vs PPA thing for a while now, and while I initially felt 'yay, the underdog won' for PPA last year, I get the feeling (more and more) that PPA is just a business and are really just as bad as (if not worse) than the 'money grabbing' CSA. 

I have a membership to CSA (think it was like R120 for the year) and it gives me great benefits should I be involved in an accident or crash. PPA gives me a seeded group race number... and that's about it. Everything else comes at a premium, and even getting the discounted race entry fee, it's still a lot of money to enter the races available.

What still bothers me is that PPA is charging R35 for a day license where CSA have indicated that they only charge R6 per rider per event - where does the other R29 go? I tried asking on vleisboek but PPA gave such a haphazard answer, it wasn't really clear... pretty much dodging the question.

Ultimately, as I have come to realise, PPA is for the weekend warrior (because there are loads of them) and NOT for the racing snakes. PPA were good once upon a time, but they have become lazy (in my opinion) and, as an apparent club, do not cater for all their members' needs.

Like GoLefty said - it's only a ceasefire. Again, would you prefer the cyclists to suffer while the administrators fight their petty battles?

PS What other benefits are there to the average funrider for taking out CSA membership other than the R38 policy that you are forced to take out?

Velouria

Feb 24, 2015, 8:56 AM

Ultimately, as I have come to realise, PPA is for the weekend warrior (because there are loads of them) and NOT for the racing snakes. 

We're all weekend warriors, unless we actually get paid to ride our bikes. We might think we're race snakes, but we're just weekend warriors that go a little faster than the average weekend warrior.

If going to work entails pinning a number on your back and wearing tight clothing, you're a racing, otherwise we're just fun riders.

I also think we don't realise just how well off we are with the number of races that us ordinary folk can do. You'll be hard pressed to find an event calendar like ours anywhere else in the world that attracts the real race snakes and weekend warriors.

Tiny K

Feb 24, 2015, 8:57 AM

Like GoLefty said - it's only a ceasefire. Again, would you prefer the cyclists to suffer while the administrators fight their petty battles?

PS What other benefits are there to the average funrider for taking out CSA membership other than the R38 policy that you are forced to take out?

each member receives R20,000 medical cover as a benefit of their membership; as well as free claim administration of the Road Accident Fund should they be involved in an accident with a vehicle

Tiny K

Feb 24, 2015, 9:00 AM

We're all weekend warriors, unless we actually get paid to ride our bikes. We might think we're race snakes, but we're just weekend warriors that go a little faster than the average weekend warrior.

If going to work entails pinning a number on your back and wearing tight clothing, you're a racing, otherwise we're just fun riders.

I also think we don't realise just how well off we are with the number of races that us ordinary folk can do. You'll be hard pressed to find an event calendar like ours anywhere else in the world that attracts the real race snakes and weekend warriors.

and that is the exact mentality that has us top end cyclists doing the same thing ever weekend and why we don't have competitive top end cyclists staying in SA...

The only event attracting the real race snakes is the World Funride Champs - and they'll do the Tour de Boland or Cape Rouleur as an extended stay

Skubarra

Feb 24, 2015, 9:00 AM

each member receives R20,000 medical cover as a benefit of their membership; as well as free claim administration of the Road Accident Fund should they be involved in an accident with a vehicle

Yes, we pay R38 for that, what do we get for the rest of the money other than not having to take out day memberships when entering a race?

Add a comment

You must log in to comment