The frame is carbon through out with internal routing for the gear cables. Each AMS 100 frame size has a unique carbon rocker to keep the suspension tuned throughout the size curve. It is worth noting that all but the smallest size frame have space for a second battle cage within the front triangle.
The bike comes fully kitted with a Shimano XT 2x11 groupset, so expect crisp shifting and Shimano’s reliable control on the brakes. The wide gear range of the 2x11 drive train comes in very handy on longer rides. The RockShox Reba RL fork has remote lockout making it easy to switch on sprints. The rear shock is a RockShox Monarch RT3 and features an open/ pedal/ lockout switch which is not remotely activated- however the switch is easy enough to access, and the lockout mode is nice and stiff. A Fulcrum Red 66 wheelset wrapped in Schwalbe’s LiteSkin Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron tyres finishes off the bike. This grade of components with a full carbon frame is hard to beat at Cube's asking price of R52,000.
On first sight, I was not impressed with the understated, geometric lines of the frame- but after experiencing the ride I could not have cared less, and the no-nonsense appearance reflects the straightforward performance driven setup and feel of the bike.
On the trail
My first impression on the bike was of incredible efficiency- from the moment I hopped on it felt- stiff, light, agile and most importantly: fast. This bike flies uphill- making climbing enjoyable- you really feel the output from each pedal stroke.
In terms of handling: I have ridden one or two 29ers that handle like boats, this certainly is not one them. The bike’s relatively light weight and geometry make it nimble and easy to throw around corners. Cube claim this thanks to their Agile Ride Geometry which in a nutshell means that they have adjusted the geometry of their 29er and 27.5 bikes to give a similar ride feel as their 26 inch bikes by keeping the bottom bracket height low, the chainstays short and the seat tube at the same angle.
The suspension has been tuned specifically for marathon and cross-country riding and is incredibly stiff in lockout- but there is just enough compliance when required to provide traction on loose, rocky climbs. Even with shock and fork fully open the bike still powers up climbs. Turn the AMS 100 downhill and hit the bumpy stuff and the AMS continues to deliver. Fully open the suspension eats up big knocks- but still provides a stiff pedalling platform for accelerating out of corners. However, the 71 degree head angle means that the front can feel a little twitchy on the descents.
In the end
At the end of the day, the Cube AMS 100 is a pure cross-country or marathon bike- efficient, short travel, and solidly equipped. If you are looking for a fast no-nonsense bike to race marathon or cross-country at an extremely competitive price, the Cube AMS 100 may be the bike for you.
The Cube is aggressively oriented with a relatively steep head angle compared to others in the 100mm class, yet it is still comfortable and capable when heading downhill. It provides a very stable and assured feel which gives the confidence to have a bit of fun.
For those looking for a more aggressive marathon bike or anyone with cross country ambitions, the Cube AMS 100 is unlikely to let you down and comes at an almost too good to be true a price tag. Admin.
- FrameC:62 Monocoque Advanced Twin Mold Technology, ARG, ERC, FSP 4-Link, AXH
- Size17", 19", 21", 23"
- ForkRock Shox Reba RL, Fast Black, PushLoc, 15QR Maxle, Tapered, 100mm
- ShockRock Shox Monarch RT3, 165x38mm, Open/Pedal/Lockout Mode, SV Air Canister
- Shock HardwareFront: 22x8mm, Rear: 40x8mm
- HeadsetFSA Orbit I-t, Integrated, Top 1 1/8", Bottom 1 1/2"
- StemCUBE Performance Stem Pro, 31.8mm
- HandlebarCUBE Flat Race Bar Pro, 720mm
- GripsCUBE Race Grip, 1-Clamp
- Rear DerailleurShimano XT, RD-M8000-DGS, ShadowPlus, 11-Speed, Direct Mount
- Front DerailleurShimano XT, FD-M8025-D, Direct Mount, Down Swing
- ShiftersShimano XT SL-M8000-I, Direct Attach
- Brake SystemShimano XT BR-M8000, Hydr. Disc Brake (180/160)
- CranksetShimano XT, FC-M8000, 36x26T, 175mm (180mm for 23" frame)
- CassetteShimano XT CS-M8000, 11-40
- ChainShimano CN-HG600-11
- WheelsetFulcrum Red 66, 28/28 Spokes, 15QR/X12
- Front TyreSchwalbe Rocket Ron Kevlar, 2.25, LiteSkin
- Rear TyreSchwalbe Racing Ralph Kevlar, 2.25, LiteSkin
- SaddleSelle Italia SC1
- Seat PostCUBE Prolight, 31.6mm
- Seat ClampCUBE Varioclose, 34.9mm
- Claimed weight11.65 kg
- Retail PriceR52,000.00