Rider Killed in Cape Town Doordrift Road

Bike Mob

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel sympathy for the person that has died and his / her family.

Some of you want to go and hang the driver in the square, others are referring to idiot drivers, and other swearing going on. Are you okes for real? What info in this thread so far indicates the driver is at fault.

The immature, mob behaviour, and inciteful language you are using is PATHETIC !!!

Some of you want to go and hang the driver in the square, others are referring to idiot drivers, and other swearing going on. Are you okes for real? What info in this thread so far indicates the driver is at fault.

The immature, mob behaviour, and inciteful language you are using is PATHETIC !!!

Hit and run doesn't make a good case for an innocent driver ........

Hmmm what action from the driver's side makes it ok for the cyclist to be dead?

Supersix 3 says, "What the hell is wrong with hit and run? You people are pathetic!"

Edit: I meant to add my condolences to the poor person who was knocked down. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and loved ones. For those of us who have lost friends and family on our roads, every time we read about another one, the old wounds start to hurt again.

Edited by tombeej

The hit and run is inexcusable.

And do not for one minute think I am defending the driver. I am not. I am just not ready to hang him / her in the square quite yet (based on the info so far available).

Was the cyclist wearing visible clothes?

Did he / she have a light?

Was he/she perhaps riding in the middle of the road?

Was the driver perhaps a 60 yr old grandma, that acted in shock, rushed home to get her son/daughter to accompany her back to the scene or police station?

It boils down to the fact that the lack of a proper legal system and the actual protection of law abiding citizens' lives give some individuals the perception that they will not be held accountable. Our constitution protects the rapist, the murderer. The system lets us down and until this imbalance is corrected we stand no chance of having a law abiding nation where people respect each other's rights, especially the simple right to protect a life.

Hit and run is a crime,corect me if I'm wrong.If it wasn't driver fault,why he didn't stop and help the cyclist?

Maybe he can save his life...

It boils down to the fact that the lack of a proper legal system and the actual protection of law abiding citizens' lives give some individuals the perception that they will not be held accountable. Our constitution protects the rapist, the murderer. The system lets us down and until this imbalance is corrected we stand no chance of having a law abiding nation where people respect each other's rights, especially the simple right to protect a life.

So let's respect Grandma's rights before lynching her for not wearing her spectacles.

So let's respect Grandma's rights before lynching her for not wearing her spectacles.

Had she stayed on the scene, a case of culpable homocide would have been opened by law. The fact that the person fled the scene has complicated the situation for the driver. None of the bleeding heart excuses matter. What the cyclist was wearing does not matter. Where the cyclist was does not matter. The law states that a cyclist and pedestrian has right of way...period

I hit a pedestrian at 10pm on the R21. He was drunk, wearing black and was by law not allowed on the highway. I still got charged and investigated. They checked every part of my car to make sure it was roadworthy. They dropped the charges after three years, when they finally determined I was not culpable. :thumbup:

Sorry...grandma lost her rights and confirmed her culpability when she fled the scene :thumbdown:

I understand where you are coming from in terms of the inappropriateness of the lynch mob reaction of "hang him in the town square". Fair enough.

However, why is that our first instinct as South Africans is to always try see where the victim might be at fault and at the same time, try to 'understand' the perpetrator. This is something I cannot understand. The victim always has to prove their innocence, while there's a whole list of mitigating circumstances for the perp.

In other words poor victim, but of course they must have done something to deserve it - the real victim is actually the person who committed the crime. What?!

Had she stayed on the scene, a case of culpable homocide would have been opened by law. The fact that the person fled the scene has complicated the situation for the driver. None of the bleeding heart excuses matter. What the cyclist was wearing does not matter. Where the cyclist was does not matter. The law states that a cyclist and pedestrian has right of way...period

I hit a pedestrian at 10pm on the R21. He was drunk, wearing black and was by law not allowed on the highway. I still got charged and investigated. They checked every part of my car to make sure it was roadworthy. They dropped the charges after three years, when they finally determined I was not culpable. :thumbup:

Sorry...grandma lost her rights and confirmed her culpability when she fled the scene :thumbdown:

You were charged and investigated, EXACTLY what I am saying should happen here, not hung in the square.

Thanks DaLoCo for sharing that story and information. A lot of the responses here are from people that dont actually know the implications of knocking down pedestrians or cyclists and tend to point the fingers at those, without proper knowledge. All I can say is this, its sad, simply put. Things like this should not happen and drivers really should be a LOT more vigilant on the roads. If not for the sake of the other road users, then for their own futures and criminal records.