Spinning ?

Hi, This is probably a topic that has been discussed before, but maybe there is some new input/value add for some of the newbies to this forum like myself. Basic - does a spinning class in gym help for cycle fitness? Is spinning a good way of training for cycling? thanks

I believe for me it did. Depends on how you do it.

But like cricket there is no better way than spending time out in the middle. Training properly on your bike is still number one

Hi, This is probably a topic that has been discussed before, but maybe there is some new input/value add for some of the newbies to this forum like myself. Basic - does a spinning class in gym help for cycle fitness? Is spinning a good way of training for cycling? thanks

It's somewhere between not riding at all and actually riding a bicycle...

I actually like spinning as a cycling tool - provided of course that you set the resistance to a decent level and push yourself.

Too many people just ride their bikes without a structured programme and a hour of intervals in spinning helps shape some kind of programme without actually having to sit down and plan one.

A structured programme will increase training time versus fitness efficiency.

The disclaimer of coourse is that if you ride your bike just for fun anf fitness don't bother with the programme and have fun! Spinning is definiely beneficial.

Stifler

Yes its been up a few times check the search on "Training & Nutrition" , I spin once a week to keep the cardio going, It all depends on the type of IDT you are using, I have I giant IDT and unfortanelty it does not give a lot of resistence even in lowest setting and lowest gear ,therefore power training is not going to happen here ,,,,,,,,,, if you want to do interval training and endurance runs that will be ok ,just dont expect to get effective power work on your IDT , go find a hil somewhere and do repeats on it at least 2 to 3 hours a week, O and be prepared with a fan and lost of water .....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HEEHAAAA!

Charl

God Bless

Thanks Gents, I have actually been cycling for a while - also just do the odd spinning class once a week in my lunch hour and everytime Im in the class I always wonder if it helps - what I can say is when im feeling good and fit on my road bike and kickass in a spinning class compared to off season.

what i meant was - when im fit on the road a spinning class seems easy and I do well compared to when im not that roadbike fit.

Guest eyecandy

Spinning didnt help me in the least!

Running, intervals on the stationery bike and weight training :thumbup:

thanks CharlV - one thing I could not yet get myself to do was to use the IDT, tried it once and it was the worst experience ever. I live in cape town, milnerton, and even in the days when the wind pumps 50kph i cycle on the road. Spinning is as close to a IDT I can go.

Personally I think spinning helps me, as long as there is enough resistence and you mix it up while on the spinning bike.

Its all about commitment!

Let me start by saying I am a spinning instructor.

I see plenty of people wasting their time is a class.

If you work agains resistance it can be very benificial.

Intervals-sprint-hill climbs all can be done here to great effect.

I try and keep my HR at 85% - 90% through the whole class, if you are committed to your training it can be done but it is easier to loaf in a class as you dont have to keep up with the pack.

That is why I say - it can be very good training but no-one else will police you, you have to do it yourself.

Any training tool is good - the difference is in how you apply it.

My 5c

Its all about commitment!

Let me start by saying I am a spinning instructor.

I see plenty of people wasting their time is a class.

If you work agains resistance it can be very benificial.

Intervals-sprint-hill climbs all can be done here to great effect.

I try and keep my HR at 85% - 90% through the whole class, if you are committed to your training it can be done but it is easier to loaf in a class as you dont have to keep up with the pack.

That is why I say - it can be very good training but no-one else will police you, you have to do it yourself.

Any training tool is good - the difference is in how you apply it.

My 5c

Ive taken to spinning standing up without holding the bars, it took some getting used to in the beginning but Ive found my abs & glutes have strenghtened, and overall balance has increased too.

Not sure if its good or not, but seems to be haveing some benefit :thumbup:

I dont have the opportunity to get out in the mornings besides on weekends as my wife leaves really early and I need to get the kids to school. I try get 3-4 double spinning classes in a week and then 2 decent rides in on the weekend.

Spinning is all about attitude. If you go there with a goal in mind and push yourself, it can be really beneficial. There are also good instructors and those that are pretty cr@ppy. In cases where I have bad instructors, I ignore what they are instructing and do my own thing. The good instructors are good for motivation and you can benefit a lot.

You get out of it what you put in, if you are going to sit at the back and chat to your mates rather than puch yourself then the only person that you are cheating is yourself

Ive taken to spinning standing up without holding the bars, it took some getting used to in the beginning but Ive found my abs & glutes have strenghtened, and overall balance has increased too.

Not sure if its good or not, but seems to be haveing some benefit :thumbup:

good core training i recon!

i spin when i get the chance, once a week and punish myself. it has helped me a lot with endurance and standing climbing that i was not to hot on before. winter is coming and im sure i will become more of a regular.

Edited by Chubba

I dont have the opportunity to get out in the mornings besides on weekends as my wife leaves really early and I need to get the kids to school. I try get 3-4 double spinning classes in a week and then 2 decent rides in on the weekend.

Spinning is all about attitude. If you go there with a goal in mind and push yourself, it can be really beneficial. There are also good instructors and those that are pretty cr@ppy. In cases where I have bad instructors, I ignore what they are instructing and do my own thing. The good instructors are good for motivation and you can benefit a lot.

You get out of it what you put in, if you are going to sit at the back and chat to your mates rather than push yourself then the only person that you are cheating is yourself

i also do a lot of spinning, at least 2 2hour sessions per week. some time I have to do my own thing especially before big races.

not pointing any fingers. just remember to move to the back of the class when you do your own thing.