Rand vs weight

MTBer wannabee

How much extra would you spend to save a 1kg on your bike. I am amazed on how much people spend to save a few kilos when clearly they also need to go on a diet. Or is it all about the ego.

How much extra would you spend to save a 1kg on your bike. I am amazed on how much people spend to save a few kilos when clearly they also need to go on a diet. Or is it all about the ego.

its not either or

So only skinny people should have nice bikes?

Or top 10 racers?

Or only racing drivers should drive nice cars?

Or only fashion designers should wear nice clothes?

or a nice watch

or nice sunglasses

etc

ect

It's about the joy of owning nice things.

Edzachary!

(But on the other hand, Darren. It is easier to lose weight on the bike than on your butt...)

So only skinny people should have nice bikes?

Or top 10 racers?

Or only racing drivers should drive nice cars?

Or only fashion designers should wear nice clothes?

or a nice watch

or nice sunglasses

etc

ect

HAhaha! Niiiiiiiice! (not that im fat, or skinny :clap: )

okay, i get everyones point about its up to the individual to do what they like with their money, but I have access to composite technology, in other words i can make light stuff but when i look at how much effort and cost it takes to save a few grams on a single component, i wonder to myself, is it really worth it. So to answer my question, how much would you spend per 100g. R1000 per 100g? R2000 per 100g. Or does it just have to look nice :)

okay, i get everyones point about its up to the individual to do what they like with their money, but I have access to composite technology, in other words i can make light stuff but when i look at how much effort and cost it takes to save a few grams on a single component, i wonder to myself, is it really worth it. So to answer my question, how much would you spend per 100g. R1000 per 100g? R2000 per 100g. Or does it just have to look nice :)

Not all savings are the same. To drop the weight of wheels from 2000g to 1800g will be R200. To drop from 1200g to 1000g is R20 000.

Dont be a hater if you cant afford the nice stuff.

If dropping a few grand to make your machine nice makes you happy,

I'm all for it.

A mate of mine recently did a very expensive Bianchi-Super Record build, and the guilt of dropping all that cash got him back on the bike.

His weight has come down from a chunky 91 kgs to 80kgs in the space of 3 months.

So it can work in reverse

Edited by FrancoisC

Made my bike 5kg's lighter i the last 2 months!!

How: ate more salads and healthy food.

Cost: nothing!!

oh Rubbish, it costs a LOT more these days to eat healthily than to eat poorly... :blink:

"oh Rubbish, it costs a LOT more these days to eat healthily than to eat poorly..."

Only considering the cost of the food. Add in the triple bypass surgery and its not so cheap anymore.

oh Rubbish, it costs a LOT more these days to eat healthily than to eat poorly... :blink:

That depends where you are shopping and what your level of healthy eating is. I can eat heathly for cheap & also go the expensive route

That's for sure. R8 for a lettuce, R10/kg for tomatoes, R80/kg for nuts, R12/kg for onions. And you have to eat the tomatoes and lettuce within a week or it goes off.

If you can afford it why not. It comes down to how serious you are about racing. If you are equally matched to another rider the weight is gonna help. I tend too look at a balance between weight, cost and advantage in terms of efficeincy.