Crash in Argus near Bakoven

FatBoyDrunk

Did anyone see the crash near Bakoven (I think)?

A guy riding next to me went down hard and I heard a big noise behind me.

I started in M but not sure which riders were with me. It would of been around 10.15am

I hope no one was badly hurt as it sounded terrible.

All the crashes coming out of the woodworks now, it seems the perfect weather and high speeds have caused a few huge accidents, i wonder if the organisers have any records of the injured?

Is that the crash near Bantry Bay around that sharp corner with that wall on the side? If that is the crash you are talking about, I really hope the people are ok.

I was about 3rd from the front when I heard a huge smash and yelp of pain behind me, but as we were going 40km/hr I couldn't exactly look

Is that the crash near Bantry Bay around that sharp corner with that wall on the side? If that is the crash you are talking about, I really hope the people are ok.

I was about 3rd from the front when I heard a huge smash and yelp of pain behind me, but as we were going 40km/hr I couldn't exactly look

It must be the same crash, like you say we were going 40km/hr that's why I didn't look.

I started in CC and a guy crashed behind me on the same corner at around 11.50...eina!

I have nevva been so close to so many crashes in a race like Sunday...

Perfect weather conditions. Generally, good conditions for racing.

The bunches were big.

I also found many riders were tense and not relaxed over the bars. Relaxed does not mean casual.

Saw pics in a JHB newspaper where I'm working of a crash at the bottom of Hospital Bend! Yikes!! That is at serious speed!

I think more it is a lack of bunch riding skills....when people went down in the J bunch at the start the guy next to me looked around almost clipping my handlebar, so I told him to lok infront of him otherwise go to the back.....I dont want to be taken out by someone elses stupidity.

I think they must place people according to PPA rides also....that way they can see who the guys is who normally finishes in the bunches knowing they have some experience in big bunches....

I think more it is a lack of bunch riding skills....when people went down in the J bunch at the start the guy next to me looked around almost clipping my handlebar, so I told him to lok infront of him otherwise go to the back.....I dont want to be taken out by someone elses stupidity.

I think they must place people according to PPA rides also....that way they can see who the guys is who normally finishes in the bunches knowing they have some experience in big bunches....

I agree with you, this does all come down to bunch riding skills. Seems as though a lot of the guys riding in the higher seeded groups, seem to be doing a lot of training on their own or with a few freiends, get strong, but dont know how to ride when they have someone leaning on you or being boxed in or more than 10 people in a goup. Dangerous..

My wife told me of a woman that rode to the race, did the race then rode home, only to be 20m from her house and get knocked over and ended up with 2 broken legs. It was on 5fm last night.

Did anyone else hear of this story?

Agreed with the bunch riding skills - some guys can get SUUUUUPER strong, but they lack group rides. I think that should become standard for all cyclists - compulsory weekend group rides - it can be done now in winter where base training is laid down for the spring / summer season. Clubs can invite ppl in the area through PPA website / PPA emails (for CT based guys), or here on the hub?

Just an idea...

Agreed with the bunch riding skills - some guys can get SUUUUUPER strong, but they lack group rides. I think that should become standard for all cyclists - compulsory weekend group rides - it can be done now in winter where base training is laid down for the spring / summer season. Clubs can invite ppl in the area through PPA website / PPA emails (for CT based guys), or here on the hub?

Just an idea...

100% Great idea. NOT difficult to acquire the skills. I am NOT the strongest rider around, but I am NOT scared of riding in a bunch as I have been fortunate enough to train with a couple of big groups in the past. I ride 90% of the PPA events and a lot of the time, that involves riding "boxed in". I think a BIG drive needs to be placed on these skills. ALSO and NB NB NB...... Know your signals to those following in the bunch. I dont know how many times I have ridden over potholes and glass, simply cause the person in front of me either doesnt know how to indicate an obstruction in the road, or is too bloody lazy...

Orgs have a difficult choice, smaller bunches means more bunches and these bunches will start later, the last groups OA down are already leaving late.

Restricting the number of entrants is one way but not going to be popular.

100% Great idea. NOT difficult to acquire the skills. I am NOT the strongest rider around, but I am NOT scared of riding in a bunch as I have been fortunate enough to train with a couple of big groups in the past. I ride 90% of the PPA events and a lot of the time, that involves riding "boxed in". I think a BIG drive needs to be placed on these skills. ALSO and NB NB NB...... Know your signals to those following in the bunch. I dont know how many times I have ridden over potholes and glass, simply cause the person in front of me either doesnt know how to indicate an obstruction in the road, or is too bloody lazy...

Although I am not scared of bunch riding, I don't like riding in a bunch I do not know. At my level most of the riders are weekend warriors, so I prefer to ride on the fringe of a bunch or alone. I decided that i would rather work harder than get injured :thumbup:

I don't like pain :blush:

Although I am not scared of bunch riding, I don't like riding in a bunch I do not know. At my level most of the riders are weekend warriors, so I prefer to ride on the fringe of a bunch or alone. I decided that i would rather work harder than get injured :thumbup:

I don't like pain :blush:

I second that...thats why I am mainly on the side of the bunch or in the front, incase a accident happen then I am sorted