Cape Times Vigne-a-Vigne 2011

SWM1

I thought the route was great, really enjoyed it.

Great mix of terrain and lots to make one smile after the climbing.

Wasn't aware we started early, if so, not acceptable, 7:30am is 7:30am

My real gripe comes with a safety issue. The 27km joined the 55km at the bottom of a super fast decent with 27km riders coming out from behind the vines straight into the path of the 55km riders. It is a dangerous oversight and one I hope gets corrected for next year.

I will definitely be back next year, R180, steep, yes, but you get to ride on a farm you'd never get to and experience that view back towards Gordons Bay after the last climb. For me, that's worth it.

Agree with you on the crossing, I can imagine it would have been pretty dangerous in the middle of the race. I finished pretty far towards the back and there weren't many riders left at that point, but we still almost took out a lone 27km rider... I still said "geez, that was like a hidden railway crossing!" as we flew past.

The route in general was awesome though, great singletrack, great climbs and fast descents, real-world MTB riding.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The route in general was awesome though, great singletrack, great climbs and fast descents, real-world MTB riding.

+1 on that!

results on the site are wrong?????

missing lots of names...i rode did a sub 3 and result not up...friend who did the epic some how did the 55km route aswell????

R180 for a entry its not really value for money...

but great route/track nice and challenging....:)

missing lots of names...i rode did a sub 3 and result not up...friend who did the epic some how did the 55km route aswell????

Why are you only looking up the 2010 result now? :P

i don't think the results are up yet? those are 2010 results!

oh my, i thought natural selection would have taken u out long time ago

I wasn't nuts about the 27km route. It was advertised as a "challenge for the novice" but in my opinion as a novice route it had too many climbs (even if it was meant to be challenging) and there was a lot of walking, and unfortunately too little singletrack. Most of the downhill bits were open, fast and in many places loose and rocky singletrack, so again, some novices might have had a hard time here.

Different opinion here...

Too many climbs? There was only one?

Took me all of 51minutes, 13km and 392m to get to that point... then it was free wheel all the way to the finish. Waaay too easy and the singletrack was all over within 500m :thumbdown:

The route was well marked :thumbup:

Cant comment on the water points, I was at the finish line before my 1st bottle was empty :blink:

But the 27km stared 10minutes late :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Value for money :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Didnt experience any of the traffic issues mentioned either ... I was in the finish area for about 15minutes before the Caveman came in to claim his victory for the 55km :thumbup:

post-7579-0-58275600-1301923795.jpg

Different opinion here...

Too many climbs? There was only one?

maybe i was just having a bad day :blush:

maybe i was just having a bad day :blush:

Ok it is tough climbing for an hour and there was more than one climb ;) but if you look at the overall profile it was pretty much UP and Down ... and that was that.

Ok it is tough climbing for an hour and there was more than one climb ;) but if you look at the overall profile it was pretty much UP and Down ... and that was that.

yeah it wasn't very exciting <_<

The Short race was ok, 1 or 2 nice climbs, just do not understand why the riders that dont make it up the hills dont stay to the left when walking so riders that do try and cycle up can pass them on the right.... :unsure:

I done it.

The route was very nice but I have a few concerns about this one....

- NOT a timed event

- No photos taken

- Only 3 marshals out on the course

Climbs where OK, but why not have a staggered group type start,Single track was exrtemely short and by the looks of things ( and the amount of money they took on the day) they can afford to make it bit more challenging ....

If I was really anal, the climbs where a bit above begginner but the single trax where dissapointing :(

A

Edited by MTB-Stig

I done it.

The route was very nice but I have a few concerns about this one....

- NOT a timed event

- No photos taken

- Only 3 marshals out on the course

A

according to the website, it was a timed event. I assume the Cape Times gazebo just after the finish would be where the timing was being done (manually)

also - there was a photographer at the last corner before the straight to the finish

i saw more than 3 marshals. or were they just spectators pointing me in the right direction? hard to tell ;)

I did the 50Km.

It is the most beautiful MTB route. I have not yet ridden a better ride. (Please let me know if there is one out there.)

However:

Made it in just under 4.5 hrs (2 broken chains and a damaged cluster along the way). I was disappointed at not receiving a medal (my daughter collects them) or riding over some sort of finish line.

It just seems like the organisers know that they will get enough participants and are only after the cash. Trying to save a buck wherever they can.

according to http://www.vigne-a-vigne.com/ the 50km start time was 7:30 and cut off was at 12:30. Anyone finishing in under 5 hours should have received a medal as far as I am concerned. Anything less from the organisers is unacceptable, if I were you I'd drop them a mail and voice my displeasure.

Edited by the_wes