Polar CS600 speed sensor not working

Stutz

OK, so I pulled the trusty old Giant TCR out of the 'graaj' today after a 6 month hiatus.

The heart rate function and cadence monitors are both still working fine but the speed sensor won't kick in. I have checked to see that the magnet and sensor (see pic) are aligned properly and that the space between the two are close enough as well. Still ... nada!

Any ideas or anyone had a similar problem and found out what the problem can be? There is a new battery in the monitor itself so I doubt that it's that!

*stumped*

post-2543-0-32003300-1300714367.jpg

Me dad also has exactly the same problem. He rides for a while and then the speed just stops working and his sensor is at on his fork.

@ Larry. It doesn't matter where the sensor is really. Ive been riding my sensor on the back for years and no probs ever.

I must tell you My cadence sensor has also done this for the first time this week. My dad and I are both riding with CS600. Maybe a bug or something. Let me know if you get it sorted

I have repaired a couple of these sensors before. All you have to do is split the casing carefully along the seam with a thin blade and then replace the battery if the battery is flat. I have discovered that the magnetic sensor inside also goes defective after a while (a couple of years) a possible manufacturers built in defect :D to force you to purchase a new sensor at R600. That can also be repaired but you need the right equipment and spares to do so, which I have done before. It is easier than you think and a darn sight cheaper than R600.

Try move the sensor to the fork

I've owned this bike from new and always run the sensors at the rear. This is so that I can also log my indoor rides btw. ;)

Does the tiny red light inside the front edge of the sensor flash when the magnet passes?

I did notice that the light isn't flashing!

I have repaired a couple of these sensors before. All you have to do is split the casing carefully along the seam with a thin blade and then replace the battery if the battery is flat. I have discovered that the magnetic sensor inside also goes defective after a while (a couple of years) a possible manufacturers built in defect :D to force you to purchase a new sensor at R600. That can also be repaired but you need the right equipment and spares to do so, which I have done before. It is easier than you think and a darn sight cheaper than R600.

Going to try this. I will let you know if it works.

Edited by Wesbrad

I did notice that the light isn't flashing!

I had a problem with my cadence sensor. Didn't flash. Then I read on the polar forum that it only flashes for something like the first 60 secs and then not after that. I couldn't get it flashing until the next day.

• 1 month later...

OK, so I pulled the trusty old Giant TCR out of the 'graaj' today after a 6 month hiatus.

The heart rate function and cadence monitors are both still working fine but the speed sensor won't kick in. I have checked to see that the magnet and sensor (see pic) are aligned properly and that the space between the two are close enough as well. Still ... nada!

Any ideas or anyone had a similar problem and found out what the problem can be? There is a new battery in the monitor itself so I doubt that it's that!

*stumped*

post-2543-0-32003300-1300714367.jpg

Anybody else ever have any issues with Polar sensors? Any other reasons for this happening and ideas of fixing it? Will try opening the sensor tomorrow when and get a battery.

What is it with these polar products lately. I had a heart sensor replaced by the agents close to a year ago and now the same problem with the new sensor- it doesn't pick up if the sensor is further than 30cm away from the unit. So sent the sensor in after buying a new battery and strap and it would appear as if they replaced it again- have to go and pick it up this afternoon. BTW the turn around time of IHF is now 8 days :o Would appear as if alot of polar products have problems <_<

Edited by Reg Lizard

Used the faulty thing on friday and it swithed on and off for the first hour and then after seemed to work fine. Not sure if its the battery

I know it sound stupid but those black encased magnets have a tendency to "expire" or deplete their magnetic capability.

Had the same problem - sent it back to Polar 3 times - got a new magnet - R 30.00 - worked perfectly.

Dont ask me "why" but at R 30 its an easy fix.

Hope you come right.

I also have a speed sensor s-series for a S725X which has stopped working. Tried replacing battery and I get the flashing red light and can hear the magnet "click" when it goes past. If I put the watch close to the sensor it will pick up the speed. But as soon as I put the watch on the handlebars it seems to go out of range. Speed sensor is on my front fork. Is there any reason why the range would decrease like this?