Formula 1...

'Dale

I, for one, would love to see more manufacturers. Audi has got a grip on hybrid engines, as does Toyota and Peugeot. (Who am I missing from LMP1?)

It's crazy to think we may be at an almost Indycar stage next season with two engine suppliers, plus one (maybe two) teams running other (Honda and Renault) engines. 

Crow, I agree that that was the intent... But jeez, they could have explained it a bit better to the guy at the time! And maybe have done it a lap (at least) earlier, both to give Sainz a run at Perez and decent time to swop back if required. Fortunately it sounds as if there's no hard feelings from Sainz's side.

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, would love to see more manufacturers. Audi has got a grip on hybrid engines, as does Toyota and Peugeot. (Who am I missing from LMP1?)

It's crazy to think we may be at an almost Indycar stage next season with two engine suppliers, plus one (maybe two) teams running other (Honda and Renault) engines. 

Crow, I agree that that was the intent... But jeez, they could have explained it a bit better to the guy at the time! And maybe have done it a lap (at least) earlier, both to give Sainz a run at Perez and decent time to swop back if required. Fortunately it sounds as if there's no hard feelings from Sainz's side.

With you on that. Renault could (should?) also have two teams at least. Nissan is also running a (radical) LMP1 car, Peugeot pulled out.

Tost actually backs Verstappen on this one as well. Saying Sainz was too far back and did not have the pace to close the gap to Verstappen so would most likely not have been able to pull away. Saw last night his tires were only 1 lap fresher. Wouldn't have made sense.

Sainz quoted as saying he though it was worth a shot even if it was a long shot. Sounds like no harm done there. 

Tost is not being totally honest.

Looking at the pace Sainz had before he parked behind vestappen he could probably have made an attack on perez. But once behind vestappen he couldn't stay too close since he also had to look after his tyres. Sainz probably figured the team would use the team order earlier instead of waiting till the 11 th hour.

This new tyre limited f1 reduces racing to the slowest pace. Pretty pathetic.

With you on that. Renault could (should?) also have two teams at least. Nissan is also running a (radical) LMP1 car, Peugeot pulled out.

Tost actually backs Verstappen on this one as well. Saying Sainz was too far back and did not have the pace to close the gap to Verstappen so would most likely not have been able to pull away. Saw last night his tires were only 1 lap fresher. Wouldn't have made sense.

Sainz quoted as saying he though it was worth a shot even if it was a long shot. Sounds like no harm done there. 

I'm not so sure.  Sainz also said he has let Verstappen through 3 or 4 times and Verstappen has refused to let Sainz past more than once...   What this reflects is quite simply the one has a 3 year contract and the other has nothing past the end of this year...

Argh, I thought of Porsche and typed Peugeot!  :blush: Agreed, multiple engine suppliers to multiple teams (né Honda...) And really, this developement freeze is BS. 

Back to the STR scenario - what impressed me more about that all was how they made the super softs last as long as the other teams ran on softs! (I am pretty sure they pitted with the rest under the second safety car.) Be that as it may - awesome drive from Verstappen to come from the back having had his great qualifying nullified. Has he been spending too much time with Kimi?!  :whistling:

Argh, I thought of Porsche and typed Peugeot!  :blush: Agreed, multiple engine suppliers to multiple teams (né Honda...) And really, this developement freeze is BS. 

I am worried about you - what darkness resides in your subconscious that would leave you mixing up Porsche and Peugeot!??

Do you really want to know...?!  :ph34r:  :devil:

Hey, at least I remembered Bentley, Jaguar and Mercedes is not there any more... 

Iwan, did I miss something? Huge "driver line-up" announcement advertised (typical American!)... and they only announced Grosjean? I never saw who will be partnering him, despite several rumours.

Ons another front - at least Lotus apparently now have a letter of intent from Renault.

Iwan, did I miss something? Huge "driver line-up" announcement advertised (typical American!)... and they only announced Grosjean? I never saw who will be partnering him, despite several rumours.

Ons another front - at least Lotus apparently now have a letter of intent from Renault.

Yeah, that was it. For now only Grosjean, but Haas has said he will be partnered by a Ferrari reserve. JEV or Gutierrez - most rumors suggesting it will be the Mexican. 

Renault has signed a letter of intent with Lotus keeping them from going bust. Sad situation that. I think JEV will go to Renault. Prost will be the brand ambassador there and he (apparently) is a JEV fan. Both of them being French and all. 

Then it's only Marussia that need to sort drivers and I think what happens there is dependent on their engine deal.

Talking about engines: one fine mess RBR got themselves into and then handling it like chops. Can't imagine why ANYONE would actually want to supply them. 

Completely agree, that was part of my comment a while ago regarding the way it seems to be heading to a two-engine series like Indy. Nobody wants the Honda. Those that have it, curse it - or call it a GP2 engine. Renault is not as bad, yet RBR is so bent on getting rid of it, they are now approaching their main competitors for engines? And demanding equality to works, not normal customer engines... Small wonder Niki called (as usual) it as it was when he said very early in these "negotiations" that Merc will not be crazy enough to supply RBR.

Grosjean signed as a way of hopefully "securing" Raikonnens seat when he leaves end of 2016.

Ferrari closely working with Haas so good fit. Haas looking for an American driver, maybe a bit crazy but Danica Patrick??

Grosjean signed as a way of hopefully "securing" Raikonnens seat when he leaves end of 2016.

Ferrari closely working with Haas so good fit. Haas looking for an American driver, maybe a bit crazy but Danica Patrick??

Haas said early on

"It would put us on the map one way or another," he said. "But I think Danica's career, she’s quite happy where she is at the moment. For her to make the move is a big risk; I don't she really wants to do it at this stage in her career."

Guiterrez comes closest being Mexican. Rossi also an option hence his deal to drive the Marussia at some events till the end of the season. Gives Ferrari and Haas the opportunity to check him out and give him some experience.

I think maldanado should go to Haas, that way the team cannot get blamed for reliability as his race normally ends in 5 laps

...Honda will then also be a good fit