Formula 1...

'Dale

The first-corner use of an aero device as a braking device does not constitute braking problems... :ph34r: :whistling: Interesting comment from Lotus last night was that Kimi and Seb's race times after the first lap was 1 sec apart. Now sure, situations were vastly different, nobody know how far Vettel was from the limit, etc... Just thought it was interesting that he ran so close in time, having had a car that looked positively (and shockingly) outclassed by a number of other teams for the rest of the weekend.

Maybe the complete change in rules makes for a new era of domination (for another team)... These remarkable periods of domination are very cyclic and usually ended with a change in tech and rules. (Which is why I don't like F1 as much as I used to.)

• Replies 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Make no mistake, Vettel is a superb driver but I can't help but think that even a monkey* could win the world championship in this Adrian Newey Red Bull.

*Disclaimer, clearly an Aussie donkey wouldn't be able to.

Wow, seriously!!!

You still wouldneed a driver who can race the car flawlessly to win, I don't care how much of an advantage the car has.

Yes the car is good but you know what I think Vettel would be just as dominating even if he wasn't in the RBR car. He is, at the moment, just on a different level to everyone else.

That statement sounds like the type of sour-grapes excuses the other drivers would make.

Wow, seriously!!!

You still wouldneed a driver who can race the car flawlessly to win, I don't care how much of an advantage the car has.

Yes the car is good but you know what I think Vettel would be just as dominating even if he wasn't in the RBR car. He is, at the moment, just on a different level to everyone else.

That statement sounds like the type of sour-grapes excuses the other drivers would make.

Just like Schumacher isn't better than Senna because he won more races and championships, Vettel is not better than Alonso. AND although I'm no fan of the guy, Hamilton on his day is also right up there as one of the best current drivers.

Make no mistake, Vettel is a superb driver but why ask yourself why Alonso annihilates him every time it has rained in the last few seasons. Food for thought hey.

I think Hamilton is a great driver although he needs a perfectly performing car to be at his best in my opinion. He cannot drive around any problems that may present themselves while in a race situation.

While I won't deny Vettal has some weaknesses, ie rain driving, he has won his fair share of wet races too. 2008 when he became the youngest F1 race winner it was at a wet Monza track.

I think every driver has their strengths and weaknesses, thankfully, otherwise it would make for boring races and championships for that matter.

All I was trying to say was that everyone seems to carry on as if Vettel has been handed every race win or championship due a superior car, team, etc but at the end of the day the cars don't drive themselves. You need a great driver who soak up all the pressure around him and deliver the performances. He has for the past 3 years dominated the other drivers with the odd hiccup along the way obviously but at the end of the day he will go down as one of the greats in the sport.

Yeah, saw that... Was on the cards.

Much as I'd love to see Kimi back in red, I would be surprised if that were to happen, though obviously just-about everybody is backing that as "the move". But two older drivers? That will leave them with an entire team reaching the end of their shelf life more or less at the same time (not to many seasons in the future)? Hmmm... I'd go for a Hulk, Di Resta or such.

Feel sorry for Massa, there was a lot of speculation about his leaving and in his defence he has picked up his game of late after a few really bad crashes and poor performances in the last year or so. Don't see much chance of him getting a competitive ride for next year unfortunately.

Also IMO Kimi would be stupid to leave Lotus, they are getting better and better and with Ferrari's peformance being really below par this season I think it would be better to stick it out at lotus as the number 1 driver rather than play second fiddle to Alonso, who was his replacemnet the last time he rode for Ferrari.

Just saw now as well. Fun times... Fire and Ice! Will be a strong line-up if they can co-exist. However, I still would have opted for a younger driver. But... most likely they know of something we don't ito contingency.

Performance is definitely dictated by driver and car.

Getting that potent combination is the sought after prize.

Red Bull found that in racing car and driver.

Damn they're good!

GO HAMMIE

Ferrari should have signed Adrian Newey instead of having two number 1 drivers in a B-class car that can't qualify.

I really hope they pull finger and give Fernando and Kimi a car that can challenge the Red Bull's in 2014.

Ferrari should have signed Adrian Newey instead of having two number 1 drivers in a B-class car that can't qualify.

I really hope they pull finger and give Fernando and Kimi a car that can challenge the Red Bull's in 2014.

Vettel, Newey and Horner have contracts that are linked. RBR was also clever enough to sign the crap out of their core staff in 2010 so poaching would not have been too easy. Besides, Newey has said a couple of times that he has no interest to move to Italy!

They have however snatched Lotus' head of aero who will work alongside Alison and Fry. All we need new engines to be on par with each other and we'll have a MEGA F1 2014.

Vettel, Newey and Horner have contracts that are linked. RBR was also clever enough to sign the crap out of their core staff in 2010 so poaching would not have been too easy. Besides, Newey has said a couple of times that he has no interest to move to Italy!

They have however snatched Lotus' head of aero who will work alongside Alison and Fry. All we need new engines to be on par with each other and we'll have a MEGA F1 2014.

Good point, Perhaps they can convince Newey to retire? :)

The signing of Lotus's Loic Bigois is a good move at least. I don't think it's even the engines that are the problem, Ferrari were one of the fastest cars through the speed traps at the super fast Monza.

In my opinion, the aerodynamics and inability of the Ferrari's to warm up the tyres effectively and set a fast single lap in qualifying are the biggest issues. Ferrari have only had 2 poles (or front row starts) in the last 2 seasons and both of those were set by rain master Alonso in the wet.