creaking eggbeaters

Face Plant

have any of you guys using eggbeaters experienced any creaking noises? i had a very muddy ride on sunday, got home and cleaned and lubed my bike and when i went out on monday i had this creaking/knocking sound i first thought that it was my BB again (replaced BB about a month ago) but it seems to be the pedals because if i move my heel outwards as to unclip and then pedal the noise goes away :blink: if it is the pedals what can i do to correct it? do you oil your eggbeaters?

Edited by Face Plant

I actually have the same problem with my Exustar Ti's. have serviced and greased them up but they still creak. I'll be interested to hear of any solution!

Guest eyecandy

have any of you guys using eggbeaters experienced any creaking noises? i had a very muddy ride on sunday, got home and cleaned and lubed my bike and when i went out on monday i had this creaking/knocking sound i first thought that it was my BB again (replaced BB about a month ago) but it seems to be the pedals because if i move my heel outwards as to unclip and then pedal the noise goes away :blink: if it is the pedals what can i do to correct it? do you oil your eggbeaters?

Thats interesting. <_< Got the same problem.

I use eggbeaters and the creaking drives me insane. Seems to be worse on an incline tho :unsure:

Thats interesting. <_< Got the same problem.

I use eggbeaters and the creaking drives me insane. Seems to be worse on an incline tho :unsure:

spot on Eyecandy!! it most certainly is worse on a climb

My Shimano M540s also have a tendency to squeak.

I've tried grease on the contact areas where the cleat meets the pedal, which got rid of the squeaks, but made for interesting cleating in/out and it didn't solve the problem for very long.

I tried a tiny bit of mineral oil this weekend which worked pretty well. I don't know how long the squeak will stay away though... :unsure:

Never had that problem with mine. May need to be regreased. You can also get a service kit for them.

Guest eyecandy

spot on Eyecandy!! it most certainly is worse on a climb

Ive got to go to JB this weekend, or sometime soon, for other stuff so ill ask him what he thinks. He's away at the moment.

Take a candle stick and try working it around the pedal area. Been doing this for a while on my Shimano pedals once or twice a week, works like a charm. If it's a particularly wet and muddy ride I spray them down with a spot of wet lube.

@Gunzo: hey shot for that, made for interesting reading.

Edited by danger dassie

yep - mine also creak, although i first thought it was my knees ;)

doesn't really bother me, but i guess a greasing will sort them out

Never had that problem with mine. May need to be regreased. You can also get a service kit for them.

Correct, and most of the times this fixes the issue.

Hi guys,

I had the same problem, and after replacing the pedals, then BB, then free body, I found the solution and could kick myself for spending the money!

Hope this will also help for you: Here it is - TIGHTEN YOUR REAR DERAILEUR HANGER!!! Simple as that! The 2 little allen-cap screws. As you pedal hard (like on a hill) it shifts under tension and slip back again causing cracking noise...

:thumbup: thanks for the headsup crusty i will check that for sure

Same here. I was also experiencing some creaking that was driving me nuts this last week and I was sure it was not my new Crank brother pedals.

I had the same problem with my eggbeaters...

The creaking did go away when the whole eggbeater part stripped off the spindle though :(

I had serviced them twice already so I put it down to rider abuse ;)