Which dual suspension?

nookie46

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for a new bike and have narrowed it down to one of the following: Giant Trance X4 or Merida One Twenty 800D.

Yes i know both are entry level dual suspension bikes, but i feel the need for one but cannot afford the minimum R15k - R20k for a decent one. I mainly do single track riding.

Currently I'm leaning towards the Trance X4. Reasons for this is the high quality frame which is used throughout the range, the Maestro dual suspension setup and the R2k price difference. The Merida has the better components all round, but how big of a difference will this make at the end of the day?

The only thing which is holding me back on the Trance is the shocks..rear one is Giant's own in house shock with no lockout. I'm thinking with 2k in hand i can add some more cash and replace this once the original one gives in or as my skills improve and I feel the need for one. The front shock is a Roxshox tora tk, 120mm lockout.how is this shock rated. The merida has air shocks all round with lockout.

Looking forward to your comments

Thanks

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shop around I am sure there are some better deals available, the 2010 Trance 2 were selling for R 16k and there have been some good prices on Ghost and Scott bikes which outspec the bikes you have quoted.

Yeah there prob is but its difficult to find a good deal, ive been in and out countless shops in cape town. The thing is, i can get the Trance X4 for a very good price +-R11k brand new. Then you get a really good frame and Meastro suspension which is used right through the more expensive Trance range.You dont get the higher end components, but how much of a difference is it really going to make? maybe 10 or 20%? I've only started out trial riding a couple of months ago but feel my skills has rapidly improved as i did some bmx'ing as well in my earlier years and would like to get on a full suspension. What do you guys think of the Trance X4 or the Merida for that matter??

I'm biased, I admit. I've been riding a Trance X1 for the last 3 years and it is an absolutely awesome bike. I would go for the Trance, even the X4. The frame is solid without a doubt. I would put the 2 grand difference towards a Fox float shock as a first upgrade. I hardly ever use the lockout on my bike and it climbs well so it is not essential for most trailriding. Keep in mind that upgrading can be expensive and that selling and buying a full bike is sometimes better. Also have a look at the classified on the Hub, there are often great deals on 2nd hand bikes.

Thanks for the replies so far guys..DJR, that was the one thing that was in the back of my head the whole time..will i regret not getting a dual with a lockout rear shock because of "bobbing" while climbing..but i've read some reviews which rates the Trance's suspension as excellent so its good to hear that it is not necassary to lockout the shock. Reason why I cant just go out and buy a R15k-R20k bike (which i want) is, i came from an entry level hardtail, mainly wanting something with hydraulic disc brakes as the bike i had still had mech disc brakes..so i decided on getting a Merida TFS 800 (air shock, hydraulic disc brakes, slx/xt components etc.) for about R8500. So I'm already stretching my budget from R8.5k to R11k. so a further R4k+ is really not possible for me. otherwise i need to go back to a higher spec hardtail, but will still ride on it with the thought of wanting a full suspension each time I see one. So do you guys think it is still worth going for an entry level full suspension? Any further comments on the 2 bikes will also be much appreciated. In the meanwhile im also keeping my eyes on the classifieds..thanks

the world and their dog all want 29"ers, or so it seems...

You seem to want to buy a new 26" er....

Many people are/will be selling their 26"ers to buy 29"ers...

You following my thinking...?

Maybe pick up a sneaky deal on a little-used 26"er, high spec, but low price since owner is itching for a 29"er......

My 26 cents worth...!

Personal opinion - entry-level dual might mean components that just don't make for sweet shifting, quick wheels, etc.

The question might not be about the frame, but about the parts!

i think you'll be happy with both bikes. you're not out there to win races so the little exrta weight of the components isn't going to make a difference you'll notice - and you'll love the dual suspension for trail riding.

Dual definitely much fun for trails. Components that don't work so well - not so much fun, no matter what they weigh.

not sure what these bikes are running but i hear apparently, at least with the new shimano components, that the cheap(er) group sets are shifting really well, and the only real downside is that they weigh a little more. (i'm running deore and they shift just as well as xt on my previous bike)

okay i ride a '09 trance x1, and yes its an awesome trail bike!

my advice - hold on and save up if you really want a trance frame. or watch out for a good deal on the hub.

main thing you want on a dual susser is quality of the suspension. imho. no use having a great frame and crappy shocks.

you will want plush suspension. you will want ust/tubeless setup.

'upgrading' always works out more expensive. get good parts on the get go.

for now, keep riding. enjoy your hardtail. save up for that dream bike. my 2c.

Trance all the way. They are awesome machines.

For R11K, you will pick up a really nice condition 2nd hand higher spec Trance. That 'new - old' one in Kyalami looks like a sweet deal.

I had a 2010 Trance X2 that I I sold for R14K. It had done about 400km, and looked brand new. There should be other deals that come up like this, just keep your eyes open.

the world and their dog all want 29"ers, or so it seems...

You seem to want to buy a new 26" er....

Many people are/will be selling their 26"ers to buy 29"ers...

You following my thinking...?

Maybe pick up a sneaky deal on a little-used 26"er, high spec, but low price since owner is itching for a 29"er......

My 26 cents worth...!

For best advice, read top :thumbup:

PS Trance!

I saw the that Trance X2 at Kayalami, but unfortunately Im in Western Cape. I'm size Large, (+- 1.8m). I sat on a Med Trance and it felt a touch to small.

Specs for the Trance X4 (Is similary specced to my previous hardtail bike which i already sold)

Frame: ALUXX SL-Grade Aluminum, 5" Maestro Suspension

Fork: RockShox Tora TK w/ Tapered Steerer, 120mm Travel

Shock: Giant Air

Shifters: Shimano Alivio, Rapidfire

Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio

Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore, Top Normal

Brakes: Shimano M445

Brake Levers: Shimano M445

Cassette: Shimano Deore 11x34, 9-Speed

Chain: Shimano HG73

Crankset: Shimano M542, 22/32/44

Bottom Bracket: Shimano Press Fit