Which dual suspension?

nookie46

Yeah there prob is but its difficult to find a good deal, ive been in and out countless shops in cape town. The thing is, i can get the Trance X4 for a very good price +-R11k brand new. Then you get a really good frame and Meastro suspension which is used right through the more expensive Trance range.You dont get the higher end components, but how much of a difference is it really going to make? maybe 10 or 20%? I've only started out trial riding a couple of months ago but feel my skills has rapidly improved as i did some bmx'ing as well in my earlier years and would like to get on a full suspension. What do you guys think of the Trance X4 or the Merida for that matter??

You do realize the trance is a trail bike, (nothing wrong with that if i had the cach it would be on my toy list) but the merida is a XC bike, vast differences in riding style, comfort wheight, geomitry etc. What is your intended use at the end of the day for this bike?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Get the Trance,

An only upgrade a part when it wears out or fails.

So eventually you will have atrance 2 equivalent, and wont have been without a DS for ages

Yes i know the Trance is a trial bike, but I was under the impression the Merida One Twenty is also a trial bike?? 90% of my riding will be single track.

Get the Trance,

An only upgrade a part when it wears out or fails.

So eventually you will have atrance 2 equivalent, and wont have been without a DS for ages

This was exactly my thinking. Because i wont be able to get a R15k+ DS bike now, so then i must buy a hardtail again, ride it for a year and then have to sell again to get a Trance X2 or something similar.

Yes i know the Trance is a trial bike, but I was under the impression the Merida One Twenty is also a trial bike?? 90% of my riding will be single track.

This was exactly my thinking. Because i wont be able to get a R15k+ DS bike now, so then i must buy a hardtail again, ride it for a year and then have to sell again to get a Trance X2 or something similar.

If your planning on getting a TRIAL(s) bike- look no further than Inspired Bikes, or maybe a Zoo :)

Otherwise, just settle for a TRAIL bike :lol:

You do realize the trance is a trail bike, (nothing wrong with that if i had the cach it would be on my toy list) but the merida is a XC bike, vast differences in riding style, comfort wheight, geomitry etc. What is your intended use at the end of the day for this bike?

The Trance can be built to run almost like a XC bike.

Just been to my LBS and can get the Trance X4 for R10500. However I was advised to swop out the front and rear shock for an air shock to enhance my ride seeing that this is a dual suspension and you want air on it.

That being said here is my options.

1.) Buy the Trance X4 for R10500. Swop out the front and rear shock when i have the money. Might be in a year or so. Or can do it one at a time and in the meanwhile ride and build skills on a dual suspension.

2.) Buy a Merida TFS 800 or Merida Race Lite 1000D for R8000-R10000 with air forks and all the SLX/XT components. Ride this for 1-2 years. Sell it and get a Trance X2.

What do you guys think?

Just been to my LBS and can get the Trance X4 for R10500. However I was advised to swop out the front and rear shock for an air shock to enhance my ride seeing that this is a dual suspension and you want air on it.

That being said here is my options.

1.) Buy the Trance X4 for R10500. Swop out the front and rear shock when i have the money. Might be in a year or so. Or can do it one at a time and in the meanwhile ride and build skills on a dual suspension.

2.) Buy a Merida TFS 800 or Merida Race Lite 1000D for R8000-R10000 with air forks and all the SLX/XT components. Ride this for 1-2 years. Sell it and get a Trance X2.

What do you guys think?

I would rather get the Trance now. Will they not swop the fork & shock when you buy the bike now and pay a difference?

Have you looked at the older model Trance?

I have a spare Fox Float R with propedal shock for a Trance X, used it for 200kms and upgraded to FOX RP2, have sold the frame since. Can give it to you for R500?

I'm in Northern Suburbs, Cape Town.

Edited by knersis

I have a spare Fox Float R with propedal shock for a Trance X, used it for 200kms and upgraded to FOX RP2, have sold the frame since. Can give it to you for R500?

Wasn't the Trance X a 4" travel and the Trance Xn's 5"? Would that shock still be compatible?

Just bought a Merida 120-1500 for 15.5. Awesome bike, great feel, lightish and sweet components. Brand new 2011. Msg me if you want to know where I got it. CT wont be an issue.

Wasn't the Trance X a 4" travel and the Trance Xn's 5"? Would that shock still be compatible?

Trance is 4", Trance X is 5", came off a 2010 Trance X3 frame..

Edited by knersis

Thanks for the offer knersis, i will keep it in mind. First want to get the bike and see if im happy with the standard shock. from what i've heard, i won't be.hehe.but for R10.5k brand new dual suspension, i think it is a pretty good deal.i'm willing to upgrade the fork and shocks as i go along.

Are you currently advertising the shock anywhere? want to know how much time i have as i will only order the bike this week and not sure how long it will take before they get stock?

go ride both.

the trance's geometry sold it to me - it just want to do things, even if you dont want to - what a pleasure to ride.

Hi Nookie, I will keep it for you, haven't bothered advertising the shock as I have tons of stuff I need to put on the Hub.

I have the perfect air fork for the Trance X too. a 2010 Rockshox Revelation U-turn (120-150) with Blackbox Motion control, in Mint Condition. Looking for around R3200, they are over R5000 at CRC. Long steerer came of my Large TranceX frame.

Hi Nookie, I will keep it for you, haven't bothered advertising the shock as I have tons of stuff I need to put on the Hub.

I have the perfect air fork for the Trance X too. a 2010 Rockshox Revelation U-turn (120-150) with Blackbox Motion control, in Mint Condition. Looking for around R3200, they are over R5000 at CRC. Long steerer came of my Large TranceX frame.

Hi Knersis, ill def contact you once i have the bike. From the looks of it i might get it middle or end of next week.

What size do you guys think i should get?

I'm 1.8 (5ft 11"). My previous bike was a Giant L (hardtail).

Should I get Large or Medium for the dual suspension?

Thanks