Bike Import UK

BigBoy10

Has anyone brought in a full bike from the UK. Have a mate coming over and want him to bring me a 29er. What are the pitfalls and how does the tax work?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

let him box it and bring it in has his own - no duties - should cost about £120 (depends on which airline)

let him box it and bring it in has his own - no duties - should cost about £120 (depends on which airline)

Hmm, he may have an issue getting out the country again if he do'snt have the bike anymore - customs can flag his ID or passport number and when he leaves the airline will refer him to customs before issueing a boarding pass.

Its draconian and but not unlikely especially if he is stopped,... just be aware of it.

The "correct way is :

Claim 20% Vat back at customs.

Declare it at SA customs, they will charge 15% duties (only complete bikes) and 14% on the ex VAT amount.

No hassles, but no warranty - sometimes you can get a pretty good deal at your SA LBS, just push hard for a proper discount!

The "correct way is :

Declare it at SA customs, they will charge 15% duties (only complete bikes) and 14% on the ex VAT amount.

No hassles, but no warranty - sometimes you can get a pretty good deal at your SA LBS, just push hard for a proper discount!

Yeah I would go that way, I always believe its better to just play the game and do it right, you sleep better, and theres no issues trying to explain this or that later.

Quite frankly the savings are minimal, and for the potential aggro, I dont think its worth it.

If they catch you they will make you pay and hit you with a big fine. If your bud does not have the cash on him they will take it away from him and send it to the State Warehouse. Once there they will charge you rather expensive storage and you will still have to pay the duties vat and penalties. If you are lucky enough to get it out of there.

Do it the right way and don't steal from our economy.

If they catch you they will make you pay and hit you with a big fine. If your bud does not have the cash on him they will take it away from him and send it to the State Warehouse. Once there they will charge you rather expensive storage and you will still have to pay the duties vat and penalties. If you are lucky enough to get it out of there.

Jip, don't steal from our economy- let our economy rather steal from us ( they're just better at it :clap: )

New stealing toll roads should be up and running soon!

no one said anyone was stealing anything, just asked whether someone has done it before, and the chirp bout your lbs being cheaper, ye mate sure keep dreaming!!

Take the wheels off, box them and post them over, will probably cost about R500. Then bring the frame and components in and you wont pay the 15% import duties as that is only for complete bikes, and yours will just be bike components. The 15% you save should more than cover the R500 shipping you pay for the wheels.

Take the wheels off, box them and post them over, will probably cost about R500.

Where did you get that price from.I wanted to send wheels to SA and airfreight was 150 euros (R1500)

Take the wheels off, box them and post them over, will probably cost about R500. Then bring the frame and components in and you wont pay the 15% import duties as that is only for complete bikes, and yours will just be bike components. The 15% you save should more than cover the R500 shipping you pay for the wheels.

Thank you some constructive advice! I think will follow this option. thank you for your time in reading and sharing.

:thumbup:

no one said anyone was stealing anything, just asked whether someone has done it before, and the chirp bout your lbs being cheaper, ye mate sure keep dreaming!!

No one said LBS is cheaper...I said a good deal can be had.

I recently (2 months ago) sent a Bianchi Oltre to SA for a friend, he ended up paying about R5-R7k less than the best price he could get in SA, and this is a R80k bike. And paid about 20% less than the UK list price...

He waited about 2 months and I promise you he will have endless warranty hassles if it breaks.

My 2c worth - do the mathematics properly before you make the purchase - 20% VAT in the UK quickly changes the price difference.

What bike do you intend buying?

The "correct way is :

Think a full bike is 40% duties?

Tried to buy a particular bike from local stores a few weeks ago - a top selling mtb bike o'seas.

4-6 week wait

no fox 36 forks in the country - and not available till after May

wheelset not available

tires not available

pedals not available

additional +R20k in price

All these items are hugely popular items overseas. Most items not available or out of stock at wholesalers and it was an additional +R20k

Bought the bike while on a overseas trip a few days later.

On another note - I recently called a top suspension supplier here in SA. I wanted to buy an additional shock. Again, no stock and double the overseas price. Stock would only be available in May/June.

Not sure who is stealing from who mate.

My camera equipment in the states is only about 15-20% cheaper, but stock is available locally and once you take VAT off (business expense) the prices are not that different. I am happy to pay a little more for the warranty and to support the locals, BUT 50% more is acknowledging I am an idiot and not quite ready to admit that yet...

On that note. 2 years ago, I bought a "last years model" xc race bike and got about a 25% discount. If you are prepared to ride last years model and push the guys a little it could be a good option. Had great service from the guys. Defs worth exploring. Savings mainly come when you are buying boutique brands made in the country your are importing from. What you looking at getting?

Edited by EvilRabbit

Think a full bike is 40% duties?

Nope, 15%.

Some clothing - depending on country of origin is 40%.