Bike Import UK

BigBoy10

Never heard of that, he could always say it as stolen here?

The word "fraud" immediately springs to mind for some reason... If you're going to do it, rather just do it properly - customs in SA are surprisingly good at what they do and it's really not worth the risk to save yourself a little extra on the cost of the bike or anything else. If you can't afford the VAT then you can't afford the bike (it's exactly the same as buying locally where you are still paying the VAT in the purchase price).

Those air freight costs are pretty impressive! Air freight is very expensive, but that just seems excessive... I'd try a logistics company rather than a courier company as they are often much cheaper - the best courier quote I could get to send a complete bike from CT to JHB was R800, DCB Logistics could do it for R350 at the time (door to door). I'm sure one of the forwarders could help you out.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The word "fraud" immediately springs to mind for some reason... If you're going to do it, rather just do it properly - customs in SA are surprisingly good at what they do and it's really not worth the risk to save yourself a little extra on the cost of the bike or anything else. If you can't afford the VAT then you can't afford the bike (it's exactly the same as buying locally where you are still paying the VAT in the purchase price).

Those air freight costs are pretty impressive! Air freight is very expensive, but that just seems excessive... I'd try a logistics company rather than a courier company as they are often much cheaper - the best courier quote I could get to send a complete bike from CT to JHB was R800, DCB Logistics could do it for R350 at the time (door to door). I'm sure one of the forwarders could help you out.

Yes, WE are extremely good at what we do here at Customs. And Because there are a couple of Roadies and Mtb'ers between us, we know exactly what to look for. But we are also very Accomodating.Dont try to smuggle or bring it in illegaly, because you are going to get caught. Sorry, dont want to put a damper on the thread.

@lexx n bike parts packaged in with a complete bike, or are you guys going to check the stuff and split the duties?

Yes we will. Remember,every single part has his own Tariff Classification,and therefore his own duty(if any is applicable). And because its not atached to the complete bike, it will be seen as additional equipment and therefore charged seperately.

Guest ctMTBer

How many bikes get stolen here? And I have never heard of anyone being stopped on their way out of the country and being asked where the bike/camera etc is that they brought in.

I was giving the OP is suggestion....and I dont really see how that it fraud? Is it no Fraud that we have to pay 40% "import" duty on bikes?

Guest ctMTBer

Yes we will. Remember,every single part has his own Tariff Classification,and therefore his own duty(if any is applicable). And because its not atached to the complete bike, it will be seen as additional equipment and therefore charged seperately.

Like the goverment is not making enough money out of us?

Guest ctMTBer

Yeah Thats right.Let him bring it in the illegal way. Because i work for Customs,i will detain and seize it and eventually buy it from the state warehouse for a 1/5 of the price. So any Hubbers interested in buying a 29er bike for a Bargain,ha ha ha

Looks like I found the REAL reason customs are so "stickey" How can you feel good about yourself knowing that youbought it at a 1/5 of the price?

Do you then pay the import duty on the original price? I would not be able to do that to a fellow cyclist.

thanks, that will save me stax.

Looks like I found the REAL reason customs are so "stickey" How can you feel good about yourself knowing that youbought it at a 1/5 of the price?

Do you then pay the import duty on the original price? I would not be able to do that to a fellow cyclist.

Ha ha ha ha, ok dont worry, i will sell it at half the price if it makes you feel any better,lol.

Like the goverment is not making enough money out of us?

Off Course we have to charge you guys for importing the stuff. If we dont, there will be thousands and thousands of useless stuff being dumped in our country,and millions of people out of work.