R10 000 to spend

Deandejager

Try an on-one inbred from Kiwi. Great frame, which probably will work best as a general duty frame.

The inbred is a do everything frame. IT has:

mounts for pannier rakes for touring

can be used as a dedicated single speed (slot drop outs are optional).

works with various fork travel settings, thus can do XC, enduro and free ride.

probably can work with a 29er front wheel (ie can be run as a 69 er).

Has awesome tyre clearance so running big ballons is not a problem.

Made of steel (the only real frame material).

Made from a shed in England.

Oh it(the frame) can be got for R2700 for the slot frame and less for the normal set up.

A bike build from Kiwi will probably come in well under R10 000.

What kind of riding do you wnat to do?

Regular XC and trail riding? Downhill? Freeriding?

trail riding and xc. I live in Potch, not many descending spots here unfortunately...

I want to buy my first MTB and I am looking to spend up to R10 000. any suggestions?

Don't forget to factor in your gear, that can eat at least R1500 of your budget just to start off.

Try an on-one inbred from Kiwi. Great frame, which probably will work best as a general duty frame.

The inbred is a do everything frame. IT has:

mounts for pannier rakes for touring

can be used as a dedicated single speed (slot drop outs are optional).

works with various fork travel settings, thus can do XC, enduro and free ride.

probably can work with a 29er front wheel (ie can be run as a 69 er).

Has awesome tyre clearance so running big ballons is not a problem.

Made of steel (the only real frame material).

Made from a shed in England.

Oh it(the frame) can be got for R2700 for the slot frame and less for the normal set up.

A bike build from Kiwi will probably come in well under R10 000.

thats an interesting suggestion... But why not go for a complete bike?

thats an interesting suggestion... But why not go for a complete bike?

He is suggesting just that, "a complete bike from Kiwi could come in at R10 000". A custom bike build will generally be way more costly then a complete bike.

I'd look for a second hand dual. Don't see the point of a hardtail unless you are super excited to start racing xc seriously (even then the benefit is a hot debate). A dual will be way more comfortable, allowing you to spend more time in the saddle, and more fun to ride. There are quite a few decent duals going for 12k in the classifieds. Make a reasonable offer and you could walk away with a great deal that could last you a little longer than a hardtail. Just my 2c

A quick check and I found:

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/936-giant-trans-x2-2009-med-brand-new/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/1138-trek-2011-fuel-ex-5-full-suspension-moutain-bike/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/473-giant-anthem-2008-medium/

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/374-scott-genius-mc40/

Edited by EvilRabbit

For R10 000 you could get a Silverback Spectra, SLX/XT mix components, Rockshox recon gold fork.

There is an Anthem 0 for sale on the hub for approx your price. Rather negotiate with the owner than buy a bottom of the range bike. Look on the hub for a good 2nd hand deal.

Yep i'd aggree go for a better specced second hand bike than a new entry level. I've no doubt if you but entry level and spend time on here you'll be spending loads more than 12k on upgrades.

Most of the guys selling here have looked after their rides. Just try and actually see the thing before buying it to make sure frame size is right...wheels aren't oval and stuff. If you buy second hand the oaks on here will generally help out with setup tips.

For R10 000 you could get a Silverback Spectra, SLX/XT mix components, Rockshox recon gold fork.

Nice bike, I had one, 2011 model. Retails for R11200.00. Ask your LBS for 10% discount

Nice bike, I had one, 2011 model. Retails for R11200.00. Ask your LBS for 10% discount

What bike you got now.