MTB Brake Upgrade - Shimano XT Brakeset

Caerus

Im wanting to upgrade my brakeset to Shimano XT( the wife gave me the go ahead as she has just had a very nice holiday to Cape Town, thanks wife :thumbup: ), I am hoping to buy from CRC as my bosses wife is currently in the UK. So I have a couple questions to ask:

1. If I pay for the CRC order from South Africa and get it sent to an adress in the UK, so she can bring it back with her, will I be subject to any vat or duties? My boss is also wanting to get some stuff.
  2. If the advertised price is R961.04 and when I get to the basket the unit price changes to R1098,34 - Is this because of varying exchange rates? I have the postage set to being sent to the UK so that is saying free postage.
  3. Is there a reason why with the XT brakes, the front & back are the same price, but with the XTR brakes there is an almost R500 difference between front & back.
  4. What is the difference between post and Is mount, also which one would I need to get (Giant Trance 2009 & Fox 32 F120 RL Fork )

Many Thanks

Any particuler reason you are looking at the XT?

No specific reason, I just prefer the Shimano brakes. Im also looking at the new XTR. I also wanna keep to having both bikes with Shimano brakesets. Any other suggestions would be great.

Do you think its worth hassling the 3rd party to get via the UK? Last order I got for CRC was here within a week...

The XTR options, just more expensive materials used and have a great finish, guess work just as well as the others. Very happy with the XTR pedals I have been using for +1 year

And yea compare price to CWC as suggested.

Edited by kosmonooit

If you have it send to a UK address you pay UK Vat (which she can claim back at the airport). If you send it to an SA address, there is no Vat. But they can charge her Vat at SA customs.

Do you think its worth hassling the 3rd party to get via the UK? Last order I got for CRC was here within a week...

The XTR options, just more expensive materials used and have a great finish, guess work just as well as the others. Very happy with the XTR pedals I have been using for +1 year

And yea compare price to CWC as suggested.

No hassles for the 3rd party at all, my boss wants his stuff, so his wife just brings it all back.

I just thought I may be able to save some cash on the CRC route. That way I could upgrade my stem, headset and seatpost(with the savings)

If you have it send to a UK address you pay UK Vat (which she can claim back at the airport). If you send it to an SA address, there is no Vat. But they can charge her Vat at SA customs.

Would that work still if Ive paid and the invoice is in my name, or should she pay for it herself?

Would that work still if Ive paid and the invoice is in my name, or should she pay for it herself?

Who pays for it does not matter, where it get delivered is the problem.

Who pays for it does not matter, where it get delivered is the problem.

Ok sweet, happy days.

I see the CWC price is R1000 more on the XT brakeset, with that saving I can get the other parts I require :thumbup:

Hey Caerus,

Post mount vs IS mount is how the brake caliper attaches to the fork and frame. For post mount, the mounting bolts mount in line with the frame i.e. directly from back to front if looking from behind the bike. With IS mount, the mounting colts mount perpendicular to the frame i.e. from right to left if looking from directly behind the bike.

You can get adapters to switch between the two, but obviously you should try get the right one for your bike.

Check out this page for some pics.

Hey Caerus,

Post mount vs IS mount is how the brake caliper attaches to the fork and frame. For post mount, the mounting bolts mount in line with the frame i.e. directly from back to front if looking from behind the bike. With IS mount, the mounting colts mount perpendicular to the frame i.e. from right to left if looking from directly behind the bike.

You can get adapters to switch between the two, but obviously you should try get the right one for your bike.

Check out this page for some pics.

Ok cool, thanks for that :thumbup: . So basically the new set goes onto my Trance, with the old SLX going onto my GT Hardtail.