Car occupants knock down cyclist in Paarl suburb and flee with his bike

paarlmtb

A CYCLIST riding along a quiet road in Paarl was knocked down by a vehicle whose occupants fled with his bike.

Rodney Kitching, 46, said he was riding his bicycle along Brug Street in Vrykyk just before 6am yesterday when he noticed a Silver Grey Audi A3 parked outside a house on a new development along the road.

Kitching was on his way to join his cycling group which rides every morning along Brug Street.

After Kitching tried to look closely at the car while riding past, it drove past him. A few minutes later the car returned.

“They were really driving fast this time,” Kitching said.

He said they went straight at him and tried to push him out of the way. Kitching tried to swerve and rode closer to the pavement but the “bike was too close to the car”.

“They hit me and I landed on the car, bounced over the roof and landed on the ground. I was so shocked that I didn’t even have time to take down the registration number.”

While Kitching was still on the ground, the vehicle raced down Brug Street and turned around and came at him again. He got up and picked his bike.

He started running and two young men got out of the car and chased him. He dropped his bike and jumped over a wall and banged on the front door of a house on the road.

When the owners came out, the two men took Kitching’s bike and fled in their car.

He escaped with only a cut on his left leg. Kitching said that he had lodged a complaint at the Paarl police station.

31 Mar 2011

Cape Times

Xolani Koyana xolani.koyana@inl.co.za

Edited by paarlmtb

WTF. seriously, this has become the wild west. I think we have to carry those retractable baterns that police use and put it in place of our pumps. I think they are more or less the same diameter.

WTF. seriously, this has become the wild west. I think we have to carry those retractable baterns that police use and put it in place of our pumps. I think they are more or less the same diameter.

They called ASP batons and they crush bones ;)Also very good for ladies to carry in a handbag.

They are not cheap but have a lifetime replacement warranty....i broke 2 and they were replaced.

http://www.asp-usa.com/product-catalog/batons/

Edited by gummibear

2nd one for the day.This is really getting out of control :o :angry:

No wonder my Ozzie wife wants to leave so bad. :(

No wonder my Ozzie wife wants to leave so bad. :(

In Oz you either get hurricaned to death or burnt in veld fires...I'd rather insure my bike.

you should read the thread "joburg danger areas". i think the entire damn country is like the wild west :thumbdown:

In Oz you either get hurricaned to death or burnt in veld fires...I'd rather insure my bike.

I will eventually take those chances ;)

Not to mention that everything on the continent is poisonous, and tries to kill you.

[Hi-jack on]

I can't but help wondering if the increases in these types of attacks don't suggest a massive organised crime ring? Or am I being too conspiracy-theory like?

Where are all these bicyles going? It cannot simply be that a large portion of the criminals in this country have suddenly developed an interest in healthy living, and are now desirous of owning a bike?

Are we unknowingly purchasing stolen bikes back through forums like Gumtree, and dare I say it, the Hub? :blink:

Are these bikes making their way into Africa - but at what premium? The rest of the world? Or are they being sold off piecemeal somewhere?

Maybe we're all becoming more aware of it - which sees more incidents being reported, and thereby creating the impression that things are getting worse?

Boggles my mind...

[Hi-jack off]

Glad to hear the gentleman is alright. I literally live around the corner from Burg street - ride up it if I'm returning from the Arboretum... cannot comprehend this happening there? Vrykyk is such a "quite" neighbourhood... :unsure:

And - wth - an Audi A3 nogal? Was this stolen? Were they specifically waiting for a cyclist - or was this simply an opportunity crime? Strange days indeed...

I already carry one ALL the time - for years now ! Good attitude adjuster

I was stunned when I read about this yesterday on the (PaarlMTB) site. Actually just came from there, having checked for an update.

It's totally bloody crazy. Smack in the middle of town?! And like you say, an A3?! It's not as if an A3 is the best thing to transport a bike in!

The problem is if you try to take them on they will simply just shoot or stab you. They have no respect for life and dont think twice before they kill you. This make for a very bad situation. The only thing that will work is to treat them with the same respect they treat you (none). I for one dont want to ride with a fire arm. These ##$%# should simply be shot

Edited by RodTi
Watch the language pls!