Are the UCI to petty

gummibear

Camelbaks are legal. They used to be banned for a couple of years, but the ban was lifted a while ago. If he wore it on his back, there would be no issue. I can't see how it can be legal if worn on your back but illlegal if worn under your chest.

So, it is a legal piece of equipment, accessible to everybody......

I agree with you, it is just being worn in an unorthodox manner. Get it in a lab and test it before the UCI can have a hissy fit.....pffft!!! Next TT I can see all of them wearing camelbaks on their chests.... :thumbup:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't see how it can be legal if worn on your back but illlegal if worn under your chest.

Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it can't have an influence (and vice versa for me). If you read my post you'll see that I tried to look at the question in a different way. Let's try to be constructive. I don't always agree with what the UCI does, but that doesn't always mean that they aren't trying to look out for the future of the sport.

The topic's question was also constructed in a negative way which could've prejudiced replies.

Just trying to debate logically and constructively. And I might be having a blue monday :P

I guess we're entering... the grey zone!

Using a fairing = illegal

Wearing a camelbak = legal

Wearing a camelbak to mimic a fairing = ?!

They [the team] knew exactly what they were doing and they must have tested it and saw a difference. I don't believe it is right to use something legal to get the same effect as they would've using something illegal. Some may call it smart, but I just don't like it.

From another article:

La Gazzetta dello Sport published a story Friday suggestion that Critérium International winner Fränk Schleck used an illegal fairing mounted to his chest in the decisive, final-stage time trial on Corsica. The story even quoted Dr. Michele Ferrari, who wrote on his blog that such a device would increase by 15 to 20 watts and shave up to two seconds per kilometer in the race against the clock.

While wearing a faring is indeed banned by UCI rules, Leopard-Trek officials say Schleck raced with something less devious and completely legal: a Camelbak hydration system.

Imo there is nothing wrong with tweaking positions on the bike etc to go faster. They were wrong to enforce 3:1 on bars, and wrong to ban the mantis position. These are constructive ways of going faster.

If they are trying to prevent radical changes to equipment, how long till they ban 29er mtbs from uci events?

If they are trying to prevent radical changes to equipment, how long till they ban 29er mtbs from uci events?

Are you implying 29ers are faster? There is no proof of that! :D

Ok we can agree to disagree.

Are you implying 29ers are faster? There is no proof of that! :D

The uci banned camelbaks the first time without any proof - all it took was some pics in the press of Saeco riders wearing Camelbaks under their skinsuits.

uci = useless bunch of old farts. They go ape about things like 3:1 ratios on TT bars & Camelbak in the front, but turn a blind eye to blood doping etc :thumbdown:

thumbup1.gif

I suppose the real question is, 'Was he using it for hydration'. I don't see a tube for water into his mouth. For a 7.8kmm TT. And let's not forget the propensity for roadie pros to cheat in any way they possibly can.

Check this, from the Bicycle History link posted by Witkop:

Since those early days, there have been periods of relative famine when it comes to dramatic improvements in bicycle or component design. This was largely a result of two phenomena. First was the rise of the automobile in the 1920s. The second cause was rather more ominous, namely the perverse policy of the Union Cycliste Internationale and other cycling organizations to ban radical or innovative bicycles from competing in their sanctioned events. These prohibitions included derailleur gears, wheel rims made of anything except wood and frames of a configuration other than the standard diamond. Not surprisingly, nothing earth shattering shows up between 1910 and 1930, until Tullio Campagnolo begins to influence the industry.

interesting observation intern ...... is he in fact using the camelbak. Seems there is more to this than meets an eye.

Remember the tour when Ullrich killed that TT by staying in a air conditioned room before hand, and all the US POSTAL fans started pointing fingers. :-) THEY SAID THAT WAS CHEATING I SAY CLEVER SAME HERE CLEVER.........

Remember the tour when Ullrich killed that TT by staying in a air conditioned room before hand, and all the US POSTAL fans started pointing fingers. :-) THEY SAID THAT WAS CHEATING I SAY CLEVER SAME HERE CLEVER.........

I say clever to use it as a smokescreen to the obvious blood doping!

back to the UCI, they can either ban all innovations out of hand and wait until there is proof that they give an unfair advantage, or allow anything to go and ban them only when the proof comes up. Maybe the latter would be better?

If all innovation gets banned, TTs would not be riden with tri-bars. They would be ridden on non-aero bikes with standard bars. I say allow innovation within some very broad guidelines (no Cancellara motors, etc), as long as the bike is in production.

If all innovation gets banned, TTs would not be riden with tri-bars. They would be ridden on non-aero bikes with standard bars. I say allow innovation within some very broad guidelines (no Cancellara motors, etc), as long as the bike is in production.

I was just about to say the same thing about TT bars....and maybe we would still be useing down tube shifters :D

ok, so the big question is: is it still uncool for a roadie to wear a camelbak?

i can see the door, i think i'll make it...