Are the UCI to petty

gummibear

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who cares if the Camelbak is worn on your back or front.

+1

Edited by CC307

That's ridiculous! I don't see a Camelbak as a non essential piece of equipment!!! He has to drink from somewhere... :blink: Nobody said anything about Armstrong's "dimpled" timetrial suit and that assisted the airflow across his lower back reducing turbulance!

uci = useless bunch of old farts. They go ape about things like 3:1 ratios on TT bars & Camelbak in the front, but turn a blind eye to blood doping etc :thumbdown:

uci = useless bunch of old farts. They go ape about things like 3:1 ratios on TT bars & Camelbak in the front, but turn a blind eye to blood doping etc :thumbdown:

A Camelbak for a nine-minute time trial? Sounds like essential equipment to me.

They must nail any rider, for breaking any rule. No this-is-worse-than-that. You breaka da rule, dey break your ball.

Sorry, balls.

My bad.

Agreed - a little petty !

Some might say that glasses and even gloves are non essential. I'm sure a good set of either may affect performance !

Wearing it on your back is completely legal according to uci regs. Why should wearing it on your chest be illegal?

UCI rule 1.3.033 which says “it is forbidden to wear non-essential items of clothing or items designed to influence the performances of a rider such as reducing air resistance or modifying the body of the rider.”

More on cyclenews

Are the UCI to petty? I don't know.

In the extreme case, you can't use a motor in your bicycle - everybody would agree and this is obviously banned. If the camelbak really gave Frank an advantage of two seconds per kilometre then it means he won because of it (8km x 2s = 16s > winning margin).

I do somewhat sympathise with the UCI in trying to hold a standard in a sport where everybody is trying to push the limits, legally or not. Think about it some more instead of just throwing in random comments.

how would having the pack on your stomach giev you an advantage ?

Think of wind blowing onto a rectangle (chest stomach area) and onto the top end of a triangle (camelbak creates a triangle on the chest stomach area). The rectangle will catch more wind whereas the wind is better deflected of a triangle. Go check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_resistance - some nice pictures as well!

slowbee, you've got a point.

taking it one step further - i was always told that in aerodynamics it's more important to smooth the air on the trailing edge rather than the leading edge as this is where turbulence has more of an effect - so surely having a camleback on his back (or, in tt mode, perhaps behind his arse!) would make more sense?!

has the "camelstomach" effect been tested in a wind tunnel? i mean, how do they know it's 2s over 1km anyway? sounds like a lot of rubbish - hey, when last did he pee in a cup?

If its full of water then its added weight. I dont see the advantage. Shouldn't be to comfy either and that would have a performance disadvantage as well IMO.

Obviously the 2sec/1km is only a guess at this stage. I think smooth air on the trailing edge is secondary. We can't really debate the point as we only throw around opinions while nobody has exact science to prove their opinions.

So lets not debate the ways, but rather the result. If rider A does/change/adds something that will result in him saving 2sec/1km (proven in a lab) should that be allowed? 4sec? 10sec? 0.5sec? Where do you draw the line?

I guess in the end you have to juggle a type of standard for all and advances in technology. Think of sports like F1 where it is about the most money, best car and where driver skill has unfortunately been bumped lower down.

Imagine the headline in 2030: Maxwell Edward Armstrong wins TdF with space age $26.5 million "bicycle"

Camelbaks are legal. They used to be banned for a couple of years, but the ban was lifted a while ago. If he wore it on his back, there would be no issue. I can't see how it can be legal if worn on your back but illlegal if worn under your chest.