Bottelary Hills MTB Trails

Hellwarp

Aaah, denial...?! ;)

Cool, just coincidence, thought it was funny seeing the plate and a user with the same name!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an update on the status of the trails after that massive cloud burst of two weeks ago when the Bottelary Hills area was hit by close to 40 mm of rain in less than an hour.

I am glad to say that damage to the single tracks was limited (we will take the credit for good layout and building!!). The last section of about 100 m on the green route was however basically destroyed, but has been rerouted by Adrian and his team this week . There is now a lovely piece of new ST – just be careful as it might be loose is some places.

All the other sections of ST on the rest of the route have also been undergoing maintenance to eliminate any ruts and other damage – again just watch out for loose gravel in places. All maintenance will be completed early next week.

The farm roads suffered the most damage, but I am happy to report that just about all the roads that form part of the route had been repaired by the farmers whose land the route traverses.

One HUGE thumbs-up and a million thanks to those farmers!

The section of road on the red route just past Goedehoop Estate (at the end of the red route shortcut from the green route) and after one turns right from the gravel road towards the vineyards, has however been totally destroyed and was yesterday still closed to vehicles. Truckloads of building rubble had been dumped there to built a new foundation for a road, but work was still in progress yesterday. You can get past there on your bike, but rather walk you bike for the 100 metres as there are a lot of broken tiles and bricks in the rubble that will cause serious damage to your tyres.

Other than this, the whole route (except the blue route that is still closed)) will be ride-able by this weekend. With nice weather forecasted, head for the trails and enjoy!

Edited by dirtman

I'm thinking of doing the red route, starting from Overgaauw. I'm fit, but only started mtb a couple of months ago. How technical is the red route, especially the singletracks?

Opinions will be appreciated :-)

Red Route description: http://bottelaryhill...za/?page_id=678

Singletracks not too technical, depends on the speed you're doing, the faster you go the scarier it gets. If you feeling intimidated then slow down. There are one ot two short "technical" downhill sections, once again ride them within your limits.

Not sure whether you going to be able to ride this weekend though, weather predictions not looking great http://www.southafri....asp?area=77241

Edited by Hellwarp

A multitool was found on the routes this past saterday. It has an engraving on it. Contact us via our webpage FB if it belongs to you.

This coming Saturday we have STBB hosting an event on our trails, the trails remain open but plan your ride for Saturday afternoon or Sunday if possible to avoid the traffic jam.

Red Route description: http://bottelaryhill...za/?page_id=678

Singletracks not too technical, depends on the speed you're doing, the faster you go the scarier it gets. If you feeling intimidated then slow down. There are one ot two short "technical" downhill sections, once again ride them within your limits.

Not sure whether you going to be able to ride this weekend though, weather predictions not looking great http://www.southafri....asp?area=77241

Thanx Hellwarp, i did Schapenberg red today, think I'll be fine! Might do Bottelary Hills next week...

• 4 weeks later...

Just a heads up. After completing my ride yesterday I found under my sock's seam. There is some patches with long grass on the green route and guess I picked it up there. Just check when you are done riding, tick fever is no ones friend.

• 3 weeks later...

BOTTELARY HILLS MTB TRAILS TO BECOME ANNUAL PERMIT ACCESS ONLY

Since opening the Bottelary Hills MTB trials in April 2011 there have been issues with riders not paying to ride. Efforts to curb this have been ignored by rogue riders and elevated to a point where landowners are fed up and the future of the trails is in jeopardy. We also need to support those riders who buy annual permits and thereby support us in the expansion and maintenance of the trails.

As of 1st February 2013 Bottelary Hills MTB trials will become an annual permit holders only trail, meaning no more day-permits will be sold and no freeloading will be tolerated. From 1st February 2013 security guards will be on the trails to ensure that riders have the necessary permits. Trespassers will be dealt with as trespassing on private property and charges will be laid against transgressors.

To enable riders to try out the trails and decide whether they want to buy an annual permit, the trails will be opened to “day riders” on one Saturday per month from February 2013. On those Saturdays day permits will be sold at the Hazendal and Overgaauw entrances to the trails. These are the only points where day permits will be sold. At the end of 2013 a decision will be made whether to continue with the “one-Saturday-a-month” day permits or not.

The fees for both 2011 and 2012 were R360 (pro-rata R270 for 2011 as the trails were opened April 2011). Fees for 2012 were not raised as there was limited singletrack on offer. In view of the singletrack added during 2012 along with costs of maintenance, an increase in fees is justified. Plans are in place to further extend the trails and increase the amount of singletrack. This is only possible if riders pay for the privilege to ride the trails.

Please note that the above does not mean you can ride without a permit until February next year. Day permits must still be bought as usual until the end of January 2013 - see website for details of sales points. (www.bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za ). Annual permits for 2013 will be on sale from Friday 14 December 2012. Visit www.bottelaryhillsmtb.co.za to see where you can buy your annual permit. Buying a 2013 permit entitles you to start riding during December 2012.

Edited by Hellwarp

As of 1st February 2013 Bottelary Hills MTB trials will become an annual permit holders only trail, meaning no more day-permits will be sold and no freeloading will be tolerated. From 1st February 2013 security guards will be on the trails to ensure that riders have the necessary permits. Trespassers will be dealt with as trespassing on private property and charges will be laid against transgressors.

My wife and I have been annual permit holders since the trails opened. We understand the problem well and have also seen rogue riders on the trails. If possible we always ask them politely to pay.

We support your decision, but now face a problem for our guests (usually from outside the Western Cape), who often bring their bicycles along when visiting.

Bottelaryhills is our local trail and we enjoy showing it off :)

Any ideas on how annual permit holders can have a guest accompany them without opening up a hole for abuse?

Perhaps a limit of one guest per annual permit holder at a time, but then you still need a way to purchase a guest pass.

Any ideas?

Aai, this is sad news. there is no way I'll get value out of buying a yearly permit as I don't get there enough. so I guess I'll have to go ride it vir oulaas before Feb. Bit I understand why the farmers feel this way.

I see the farmers between somerset west and stellies are also only going to allow Wannabee club members with boards on their farms. This will also be another area I won't ride as I don't ride it enough to get value out of a 300bucks membership.

The sad thing is that all the different clubs that build trails will struggle to get enough income to maintain the trails if they don't get enough members or yearly subscriptions.

I find it really sad that there are people with enough of a sense of entitlement that they will go riding trails without paying for permits.

My wife and I have been annual permit holders since the trails opened. We understand the problem well and have also seen rogue riders on the trails. If possible we always ask them politely to pay.

We support your decision, but now face a problem for our guests (usually from outside the Western Cape), who often bring their bicycles along when visiting.

Bottelaryhills is our local trail and we enjoy showing it off smile.png

Any ideas on how annual permit holders can have a guest accompany them without opening up a hole for abuse?

Perhaps a limit of one guest per annual permit holder at a time, but then you still need a way to purchase a guest pass.

Any ideas?

We are looking into a "guest" option but still need to finalise and decide whether to go ahead with it.

Aai, this is sad news. there is no way I'll get value out of buying a yearly permit as I don't get there enough. so I guess I'll have to go ride it vir oulaas before Feb. Bit I understand why the farmers feel this way.

I see the farmers between somerset west and stellies are also only going to allow Wannabee club members with boards on their farms. This will also be another area I won't ride as I don't ride it enough to get value out of a 300bucks membership.

The sad thing is that all the different clubs that build trails will struggle to get enough income to maintain the trails if they don't get enough members or yearly subscriptions.

I find it really sad that there are people with enough of a sense of entitlement that they will go riding trails without paying for permits.

The Schaapenberg and Thandi Trail systems works extremely well with guests having to purchase temporary boards and pay a deposit. They get temp boards and therefor its easy to spot any rogue trail users. You could even insist on them leaving their ID doc / drivers license at the ticket office if you are worried that they'll disappear with the temp board. I do Bot Hills about 4 to 6 times a year and would probably not be tempted into an annual fee arrangement at R300. I may be forced to do this if TBMTB Club can't sort out their current admin issues.

The Schaapenberg and Thandi Trail systems works extremely well with guests having to purchase temporary boards and pay a deposit. They get temp boards and therefor its easy to spot any rogue trail users. You could even insist on them leaving their ID doc / drivers license at the ticket office if you are worried that they'll disappear with the temp board. I do Bot Hills about 4 to 6 times a year and would probably not be tempted into an annual fee arrangement at R300. I may be forced to do this if TBMTB Club can't sort out their current admin issues.

Problem is there are about 5 entrances of which none of them are really manned. Maybe assign certain people "marshall" boards that ride there a lot, which shows you have the authority to stop riders on the trail give the marshals a receipt book and armbands and a contact no to phone if certain riders do not want to pay. I for one will be happy to marshall as i ride there quite often.