Rant - Cape Town Cyclist

Panini

I love the comments about the "cleaning the gene pool". Ironic, considering nobody wore helmets until about 10 years ago.

Exactly. All those stupid pros especially

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe it's cause there are more cars with airbags than without?

C'm on, you're brighter than that - it's a pro rata statistic, i.e. car for car, airbag cars have more accidents.

C'm on, you're brighter than that

Are you sure? :D (edit, I was just taking the piss)

car for car, airbag cars have more accidents.

Last accident I had in a car, 4 airbags went off. Got a scar on my wrist from where the pyrotechnic in the steering wheel burnt me.

Edited by TNT1

get over it... let everybody decide for themselves, we're all grown-ups.

riding without a helmet is not a death sentence. i've given my opinion on a thread before, but surely skill, concentration and choice of roads / trails are just as or more important than helmets in most cases.

Racing in general, and commuting on busy roads is an obvious exception and for that helmets are necessary.

If i do my sunday afternoon ride slowly around emarentia dam, without anything like an ipod to distract me, what risk would there possibly be to ride without a helmet. Quick answer: NOTHING!

To tell the truth, I rode to work without my helmet today. And yesterday. And the day before. And the day ...

You know what? It feels different. More freedom. Closer to nature. More connected to the bike iself, in some strange way. You just jump on and ride. No dragging the damn helmet around wherever you go. I get more concerned about leaving my gloves behind.

get over it... let everybody decide for themselves, we're all grown-ups.

riding without a helmet is not a death sentence. i've given my opinion on a thread before, but surely skill, concentration and choice of roads / trails are just as or more important than helmets in most cases.

Racing in general, and commuting on busy roads is an obvious exception and for that helmets are necessary.

If i do my sunday afternoon ride slowly around emarentia dam, without anything like an ipod to distract me, what risk would there possibly be to ride without a helmet. Quick answer: NOTHING!

Quick reply: you could fall on your head and receive an injury.

But hey, every **** can ride without Helmut if he or she likes. Just don't tell others it's safe or nothing could happen, which is wrong.

I personally experienced the worst injuries when crashing on slow, casual rides.

I personally experienced the worst injuries when crashing on slow, casual rides.

+1. I cracked my arse testing my new disc brakes in the front yard. (no helmut - do they make arse shaped helmuts?)

But, your head will also be closer to the tar Eina :( I have trashed a few helmets in falls and thinking that it could have been my noodle if I didnt have my lid on. But buddy its your life and you do what you wanna with it.

To tell the truth, I rode to work without my helmet today. And yesterday. And the day before. And the day ...

You know what? It feels different. More freedom. Closer to nature. More connected to the bike iself, in some strange way. You just jump on and ride. No dragging the damn helmet around wherever you go. I get more concerned about leaving my gloves behind.

I have trashed a few helmets in falls

In 25 years cycling, I have never wrecked a helmut in a fall. Never even scratched one.

But, your head will also be closer to the tar Eina :( I have trashed a few helmets in falls and thinking that it could have been my noodle if I didnt have my lid on. But buddy its your life and you do what you wanna with it.

But you always fall off your bike :lol:

So everything boils down to..... It's your choice, riding with/without, Helmet, safety belt, get a car with/without air bags. smoke/dont smoke etc.etc.

So everything boils down to..... It's your choice, riding with/without, Helmet, safety belt, get a car with/without air bags. smoke/dont smoke etc.etc.

condoms!

Quick reply: you could fall on your head and receive an injury.

But hey, every **** can ride without Helmut if he or she likes. Just don't tell others it's safe or nothing could happen, which is wrong.

Nobody ever said that "nothing could happen". But I'm willing to take the risk for it, so let ME decide on that. I ride that trail about every sunday afternoon every week for the last couple of years without ever having the slightest glimpse of a loss of balance. If I should fall one day, its likely to be on soft grass at no more than 20km /hr. Thus I have assessed the risks and I'm willing to take them, so please let me and don't shout "WHERE'S YOUR HELMET" when you cycle past me. I ride with a helmet 95% of the time, so i'm not against it.

Just saying that its not such a big deal to rant and moan and bitch about every guy you see who "dares" not to abide.

Wonder why I fall so much. Nearly wiped off my TT bike last night. Those funny bars freak me out :lol:

But you always fall off your bike :lol: