Brand New Alex Rim Out of True

lloydkayak

So yesterday I eventually caved and bought a Merida TFS 1000 D Lite...

Very happy with the bike, looks awesome, good components and is light for a stock standard (11.7kg)

While riding it in the parking lot I hopped the bike maybe 3 times with the wheels not getting more than I would say 20cm off the ground

Took the beauty home and while admiring it on the bike stand, spinning the wheels I noticed that the back wheel was already out of true, a little.

I know that the Alex rims on the bike arent the best but man, it was barely any air at all. I do weigh 110kg :)

Could it just be that the spokes were not set properly in the initial build (read not all tight enough) and the wheel just needs a good trueing?

I am half keen to take it back to the guys and demand my cash back (A bit extreme perhaps)

I will post pics of the legend looking bike soon :clap:

It was a poor wheel build to start off with. Probably a machine-built wheel.

Have a wheelbuilder true it for you and stress relieve it before your start riding it. A wheel that goes out of true so quickly is almost certainly not stress relieved and will have a short spoke life.

Alex rims are normally VERY strong . I still got my original "anti-snake bike" Alex rims on a hardtail and even though I can see that the rear is starting to split I still ride it hard whenever I do use the HT . Just ask the LBS to have a look at it , these wheels comes "pre-build" with a bike and maybe it just needs a little tweeking .

Net soos Johan se .

Edited by dirt-rider

:D You guys just made my morning...

Johan by get the wheel re-built are we talking get the guy at the LBS to tweak it or rather rebuild the wheel from scratch?

I bought it from some indian dudes in potch for a real good price an al man... So thinking it makes more sense to take it to a clued up LBS :)

There's no need to rebuild it. Just get someone to increase the tension, improve the spoke like and stress relieve it. If your chosen mechanic doesn't understand what this means, find another one.

There's no need to rebuild it. Just get someone to increase the tension, improve the spoke like and stress relieve it. If your chosen mechanic doesn't understand what this means, find another one.

So yesterday I eventually caved and bought a Merida TFS 1000 D Lite...

Very happy with the bike, looks awesome, good components and is light for a stock standard (11.7kg)

While riding it in the parking lot I hopped the bike maybe 3 times with the wheels not getting more than I would say 20cm off the ground

Took the beauty home and while admiring it on the bike stand, spinning the wheels I noticed that the back wheel was already out of true, a little.

I know that the Alex rims on the bike arent the best but man, it was barely any air at all. I do weigh 110kg :)

Could it just be that the spokes were not set properly in the initial build (read not all tight enough) and the wheel just needs a good trueing?

I am half keen to take it back to the guys and demand my cash back (A bit extreme perhaps)

I will post pics of the legend looking bike soon :clap:

**** happens.

Take it back and ask them to fix it..

What's the problem?Why take it to a wheel builder?

Edited by Kranswurm

I don't think this is a problem unique to only Alex Rims, I bought a new bike a few months ago and had the same problem on the rear wheel with a Shimano Rim - just take it back to the shop and they either need to fix or replace.

I don't see anyone dissing Alex rims here. They are good rims indeed. However, even a good rim can go through the hands of an incomeptent builder. A wheel is only as good as the sum total of its components and their assembly.

I wasnt really doubting the Alex rims... More the suitability of the XD-LITE for use by a prop not a race snake :clap:

They look the business :thumbup:

Thanks for all the help guys