Shock length and travel

Ronster

Hi Guys,

I have 2 questions:

My frame was designed for a 110mm travel shock.

Does that mean if I get a 80mm travel shock it will unbalance the bike?

Is a shock with less travel shorter or does it mearly have less travel?

Thanks,

Andrew

Yes it"ll mess up the handling to no end...A fork/shock is designed to accomodate a certain travel therefore it may have shorter stanchions etc. a fork may be made a shorter travel but very rarely made longer travel.

Hi Guys,

I have 2 questions:

My frame was designed for a 110mm travel shock.

Does that mean if I get a 80mm travel shock it will unbalance the bike?

Is a shock with less travel shorter or does it mearly have less travel?

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew. I am to conclude from your post that you mean a FORK.

A SHOCK is the thing at the back - which also varies in length and travel.

No, it will not UNBALANCE the bike if going from 100 to 80mm, it will merely change the handling. It all depends on why you want to lower it for.

A FORK with 80mm travel is shorter than one with 100mm, yes, when measured from top of stanchion to bottom of dropout.

Yes I meant front fork. Sorry

I checked my fork, it actually has 120mm of travel.

So basically what you saying is that if I put a shock on with 80mm of travel, its shorter, and therefore my bike will tilt further forward on the front end than before. So its basically an angle change.

Yes I meant front fork. Sorry (No prob :thumbup: )

So basically what you saying is that if I put a shock on with 80mm of travel, its shorter, and therefore my bike will tilt further forward on the front end than before. So its basically an angle change.

Hmmm

From 120 to 100 would be a better move.

What bike?

Is it HT?

Yes I meant front fork. Sorry

Yup thats it, all it does is change your head tube angle, so the geometry and 'feel' of the bike will be different. But remember that most forks nowadays are adjustable, reduce your travel on a techy climb and back to full travel on the downs. Why do you want to put a short travel fork on the bike?

I need a new shock. I would to get ssomething lighter. I'm going to check on my bike specs as to what range of shock it can take.

I didn't want to just go buy a shock and then itss not the right shock for the bike.

Thanks for the help chaps

Fork: Front

Shock: Rear

What bike do you have?

Where / what do you ride?

Why do you want to drop travel?

Less travel will result in a steeper Head Angle. This will sharpen up steering, but not necessarily in a good way. Steeper HA will also move your weight on the bike forward and could lead to over-worked front wheel. Not good.

It will also drop your BB height and shorten you wheelbase.

I want a new lighter front fork so I posted a question to find out whether a shock with differnt travel will change my geometry.

The answer is yes, therefore I will look to buy a shock with the same travel spec's on my current bike, which is 120mm.

Now I know that when I do buy a new one it will be right for the bike and not have any adverse effects

I want a new lighter front fork so I posted a question to find out whether a shock with differnt travel will change my geometry.

The answer is yes, therefore I will look to buy a shock fork with the same travel spec's on my current bike, which is 120mm.

Now I know that when I do buy a new one it will be right for the bike and not have any adverse effects

Fixed it for you ;)

Go with something from the Reba range. Light, stiff, easy to service, great back-up and most importantly great value for money

Does anyone know what the import duty would be on a front fork

0% duty and 15.4% vat

Why on earth would anyone want to change from 120mm to 80mm????

Rather get a 140mm and start hitting the big jumps!!!!

0% duty and 15.4% vat

Why on earth would anyone want to change from 120mm to 80mm????

Rather get a 140mm and start hitting the big jumps!!!!

Agreed! Just madness, I say. MADNESS!!