Heart Rate Training

zues-zues

Hi Guys & Gals

I've being cycling for say just over a year now and enjoy it more than anything.  That hour, or 2 or 3 in the saddle is my way of getting away from it all.  Also I've been riding with a heart rate monitor.  So my question is, how long do I have to train in order to see a drop in my resting heart rate.  I always hear people saying, the fitter you are the slower your resting heart rate?  Any advise is welcome.

Z

It is tough to say when you will see this - but if you accurately track resting HR over a period of say 6 months of consistent training, you may see a slight reduction.

It also depends on where resting HR is at present and your current level of fitness.

I wouldn't worry too much about it - instead why not guage fitness by looking at how fast you can rode for a given period or over a given course.

Thanx Peter

Would one say that training at an average of 80% of MHR on every ride is a bit much?  I spin twice a week in a spinning class (one interval and one endurance) and ride thrice a week on the road.  In all instances I average about 80% of MHR.  Is this pushing too hard all the time a good thing in your training?   I've tried riding at 70% of MHR, but then I need to go really slow and a light gear all the time.

Z

Thanx Peter

Would one say that training at an average of 80% of MHR on every ride is a bit much?  I spin twice a week in a spinning class (one interval and one endurance) and ride thrice a week on the road.  In all instances I average about 80% of MHR.  Is this pushing too hard all the time a good thing in your training?   I've tried riding at 70% of MHR' date=' but then I need to go really slow and a light gear all the time.

Z
[/quote']

It depends really on the volume you are doing - but in "general" I would say that it is probably a good thing as long as you feel ok are coping with the training and getting faster.

You should certainly be getting faster with this sort of training - try to find a way of tracking fitness changes by maybe monitoring time over a set climb once per week where you make sure you give it your all for say 10 mins.

if performance starts to drop or you start feeling totally wasted, then take a break.

Perceived exertion is a good guide to intensity and fatigue and the relationship between the two - trust how you feel and adjust your intensity accordingly.

zeus - do yourself a favour and go to one of the polar workshops.  They're free, and they really are a kickstart to using your hrm properly. 

You'll learn a whole bunch about intensities to train at, and about interval training.  It doesn't matter that if you don't have a polar hrm, you can still make use of the info.

Seriously, it's one of the best things I ever did, and I just did it on a whim.

Maybe, one day, when Tito stops putting my mortgage rate up Angry, Ill be able to do the power training thing too...  

you'll find when they're doing the workshops on the enteronline/entrytime website: http://www.entrytime.com/index.asp?goto=fetch&afid=4&pt=article&itemid=2185&typeid=1 

yep i've got a polar hrm, which I bought for spinning actually and then started using it for cycling.  I'll have to check in cape town where polar has their workshops.

and I agree, with another interest rate hike before xmas, that power tap hub and monitor is only  a dream for me too.