Stolen Giant VT2

Ebe

Been trying to reply the whole weekend, being informed that I "did not have permission to reply". Found out today that I needed to validate my recent re-application to be a member of The Hub, as I haven't posted for over a year.

First the details of the Stolen Giant VT2.

I was out of my shop on Friday, 15th April. When I returned, I was told that 2 guys had brought in the VT2 to sell, but as I was not there, nothing could be done without me assessing the bike, to see if I was interested. So the bike was left in the shop. It wasn't hidden away - just left in the front of the shop, with nothing to hide, as it was not my bike. No price tag was put on it, as happens to all stock which is for sale.

Saturday, (the next day), at about 13.45pm, (15 minutes before closing), the owner of the bike walks in, and enquires where the bike comes from. I told him that it had been left the day previous day, for me to decide whether to buy it or not. He then informed me that it was in fact his bike, and had been stolen a couple of days previously, from his car, while he had gone to a mosque for prayer purposes. I told him that he should come with the police, and that they could remove it, but that I was closing in 10 minutes. The doors were in fact closed, when he returned with 2 policemen, so I opened the door, and I was informed by one of the policemen that I must not sell the bike. I told him that I would not, and they all left.

Monday came and went, without any visit by the police. As I was about to lock up, (we try to close at 6pm - but often get delayed slightly), so at about 6.15pm, two guys arrived, who I had never met, one of whom said that he had come for his money for the VT2. I told him that I was not buying that bike, as I believed the bike had been stolen. He then asked for the bike, as he had left it there, for me to buy it. I told him that he couldn't take it, as it was stolen. The 2 guys became quite aggressive, and so for my own safety, I had to let them take the bike away.

My mistake here was that I did not inform the police immediately.

All of the above is pretty much recorded in the original post, by the owner of the bike. What was NOT mentioned in that report, is that I informed a detective from my nearest police station, the next morning, of the preceding events.

So then Tuesday came and went, still without a visit from the police.

Only on Wednesday, did they arrive with the bike owner, only to be told of the events of Monday evening.

Now get this. On Thursday evening, one of the 2 guys who collected the bike from me on Monday, came back, offering " Bossy, you can have the bike for R700"

I went straight home, and called the police station to report what had just happened. I WAS INFORMED THAT THERE WAS NO ONE AT THE STATION AT THE MOMENT WHO COULD DEAL WITH THIS MATTER, AND THAT I SHOULD CALL AGAIN IN THE MORNING.

So Friday morning, I called to speak to the detective who deals with these matters, only to be told that he was not in the office, so I left a message for him to call me, which until now has not happened. I will not mention his name here, but if anyone is interested, contact me and I will give you his name.

Our main business, is the sale of used bicycle, both road and MTB's.

I have been caught before, where I have had to return a bike to its rightful owner, and this is very costly, so as far as possible, I try not to get caught.

As we are primarily in the 2nd hand business, we have to abide by the laws governing this practice. Just as is the case with Cash Crusaders/Converters, we HAVE to have a Register of 2nd hand items. We record the seller, take his ID, and more recently, address and phone number. As one hubber suggested, call the person's phone immediately, to see if that is the correct number, and that is exactly what I did today, with an expensive Raleigh Carbon roadbike. Thanks for the tip. After taking in any used item for resale, we are obliged to keep the item for 8 days before it can be resold.

Reply to MTB Roadie.

Our website has NEVER been set up, so it wasn't removed for any reason. A student set up test site for me about 2 years ago, and we have fiddled around with putting some dummy adverts on it, to see if we can get it up and running.

We have NEVER advertised that we have a website, but do plan to get one soon.

Regarding the Battaglin which was shown at R16,900, which had the "crappy" plastic pedals, you are quite welcome to contact me, and I will give you the name of the guy who sold that bike to me. Someone test rode that bike, so we put some flat pedals on, and then the picture was taken.

Reply to Edwin Watson

No, the bike was not being sold. Read my account of what happened.

Reply to Mock Turtle

"blaming the staff" That's not what happened. Read my account of events.

I cannot be expected to be in the shop at all times. There are other issues which require leaving the shop for certain reasons, although I try to be there as nuch as possible.

This bike was not for sale, and has NOT been recordeed in the Register

Reply to Mojoman

See above. The website has NEVER been formally put into use. only as a test site for our use.

You will see that instead of a picture , or logo, at the top of the website, the words "Neilswheels Logo" appear, showing that it is still in the process of being put together

Reply again to MTB Roadie

We advertised a Cervelo P2 as a roadbike. You say that it used to be TT bike. This bike has an adjustable seatpost, and was set in the backward position, and sold to us as a roadbike. So because we advertise it as a roadbike, does that make us "dodgy" as you put it?

We buy all sorts of parts from many people, as they have upgraded, and/or do not have any use for them any more. Someone even donated a whole box of parts and wheels to us last week, which is of no use to him any more, and is just taking up much needed space for him. He wouldn't even accept a gift of some tubes for his trouble.

Reply to Skylark

You make insinuating remarks about a Specialized Carbon bike that we advertised, too cheaply, you claim.

Well here's the story about that bike.

The guy who owned it is Achmat Solomon. He is called Solly. He regularly brought his bike to us for service and upgrades and tweaks. Then it was stolen. He was desperate, so ordered a new bike from JHB. It duly arrived, and then his stolen Specialized was found, with someone trying to sell parts off it. So then he had 2 bikes, and he brought the Specialized to us, and I bought it.

His telephone number is 0835417762. He is a regular hubber, and goes under the name of Shaz . I insist that you contact him, and when you have, you can apologise to me

Reply to Specialized

You say that we only have 2nd hand stuff.

We buy spares and tyres, tubes, wheels, lights, locks, cages and a multitude of other items, from the major suppliers. All this stuff is NEW.

About 15% of our bikes are brand new, coming from major suppliers, and come with a full one year warranty.

Sorry that you weren't happy with the manners of the staff, but this is the first time that this matter has been complained about. I'm sure that there are a large number of customers who do not agree with this complaint, as our regulars visit us often, as we also sell accessories, (new and old), and do services and repairs on bikes, at very competitive prices.

If you have a complaint, I would welcome your comments, so that I can address the problem.

Reply to Gummibear

We had a visit from the local police/detectives, just over a month ago, who came to check our register

Reply to Cassie

Thanks for the mostly good comments

Again, please note that bbecause we sell mostly used bikes, parts are often not working properly, and need to be swopped/exchanged/replaced, to make them saleable. We often cannot afford to put back the same as the original, as this can make a bike too expensive

I wish to make it known that we were quite recently involved with the handing over of 14 bicycles to the HOPE Foundation, to children in the Blikkiesdorp community in Delft, who are affected by Aids. This was covered by The Argus

We plan to do another similar act of charity quite soon

We have had a couple of bad experiences. I'm sorry to say that as careful as we try to be, we have been caught. This has even happened on trade-ins, of which we do many.

So for any one concerned, my details are as follows

Shop Name Neilswheels

Location Checkers Centre, Main Road , Plumstead, Cape Town

Shop ph no. 021-761 7563

Hub name Neilswheels

Feel free to contact me, or PM via The Hub

It would also be encouraging if anyone has had a good experience dealing with Neilswheels,as most of the comments were scathing, and many were made on incorrect suppositions

Why were the details not taken when the bike was first brought in, as you clearly stated its the law, surely the staff should know what to do in such an event that you are not there?

Who just leaves a bike in a shop without leaving any details? Either way you had a stolen bike on your shop floor.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oops, just seen that lengthy reply.

Niels, if you were there alone and had never seen the men who brought the bike in and had no contact details why did you let them take the bike? How did you know they were the same people who brought the bike in? Maybe they stole it from you!

....nice try but you're not going to fool us.

Niels, if you were there alone and had never seen the men who brought the bike in and had no contact details why did you let them take the bike? How did you know they were the same people who brought the bike in? Maybe they stole it from you!

Good Point - maybe I will try that one at my LBS ;)

im glad to see everybody has there head screwed on, very sad response, Neil.

Reply to MTB Roadie.

Our website has NEVER been set up, so it wasn't removed for any reason. A student set up test site for me about 2 years ago, and we have fiddled around with putting some dummy adverts on it, to see if we can get it up and running.

We have NEVER advertised that we have a website, but do plan to get one soon.

Regarding the Battaglin which was shown at R16,900, which had the "crappy" plastic pedals, you are quite welcome to contact me, and I will give you the name of the guy who sold that bike to me. Someone test rode that bike, so we put some flat pedals on, and then the picture was taken.

So why does all your bikes come with mixed groupsets? No bike will be full 105, Ultegra,etc??? And I don't believe people will sell bikes like that as I never spotted so many mixed groupset bikes on any rides before....untill you started selling them....

Reply again to MTB Roadie

We advertised a Cervelo P2 as a roadbike. You say that it used to be TT bike. This bike has an adjustable seatpost, and was set in the backward position, and sold to us as a roadbike. So because we advertise it as a roadbike, does that make us "dodgy" as you put it?

We buy all sorts of parts from many people, as they have upgraded, and/or do not have any use for them any more. Someone even donated a whole box of parts and wheels to us last week, which is of no use to him any more, and is just taking up much needed space for him. He wouldn't even accept a gift of some tubes for his trouble.

Infact....that exact same bike was for sale from you guys with TT bars earlier on gumtree...and then it has been changed to road handlebars, i read the add and someone else mentioned on here about the Cervelo while it still was a TT bike....so no it was a TT bike changed towards a roadbike, and a TT bike do have a adjustable seatpost btw....so take note of that fact....

Also you could have played along to say you are interested and say you need their ID details first, then you could have atleast had their details to report them....

Edited by MTB_Roadie

AGREE there....Lets go raid the rest of the bikes at Neil with aggressive attitude

Edited by MTB_Roadie

So Maybe I should have been aggressive and TAKE BACK MY OWN BIKE.

And by the way, when the detective asked you about the two guys that came in, you said that you did not mention to them it was stolen bikes as you "did not want to cause any problems"

Now you say that you told the guys you knew it was a stolen bike and thats why you did not want to buy it.

You can't even remember you own lies!

So Maybe I should have been aggressive and TAKE BACK MY OWN BIKE.

And by the way, when the detective asked you about the two guys that came in, you said that you did not mention to them it was stolen bikes as you "did not want to cause any problems"

Now you say that you told the guys you knew it was a stolen bike and thats why you did not want to buy it.

You can't even remember you own lies!

Neils story stinks :thumbdown:

Please go and lay a charge against this guy ASAP! He admits to being in possession of stolen goods, that's all you need. I bet he has previous convictions and a magistrate will laugh at his excuses.

Please go and lay a charge against this guy ASAP! He admits to being in possession of stolen goods, that's all you need. I bet he has previous convictions and a magistrate will laugh at his excuses.

And we have it here all black on white.....so yea...case closed!

Now get this. On Thursday evening, one of the 2 guys who collected the bike from me on Monday, came back, offering " Bossy, you can have the bike for R700"

I went straight home, and called the police station to report what had just happened. I WAS INFORMED THAT THERE WAS NO ONE AT THE STATION AT THE MOMENT WHO COULD DEAL WITH THIS MATTER, AND THAT I SHOULD CALL AGAIN IN THE MORNING.

If it was me, I would have given the dude R 700, phone the owner, return the bike at no cost, keep my name and my conscience clean !! and just to HELP someone !!! :thumbup:

If it was me, I would have given the dude R 700, phone the owner, return the bike at no cost, keep my name and my conscience clean !! and just to HELP someone !!! :thumbup:

Thats what I would have thought to do, especially already knowing that the bike is stolen.

Whats your staffs excuse for not taking all the info when the bike was first brought in?

"I have been caught before,...... so as far as possible, I try not to get caught."

Hello,

Why have you been caught??? Surely if it was by mistake you shouldn't phrase it that way??? Mistakenly would be better.

Your story doesn't seem to make sense. Maybe you should own up to dealing in stolen bikes and try restart your business again with proper principles?

Edited by Specialized <3

I know this post has been left to lie for a while, but I'm glad to see people using some logic and not just accepting the response... Maybe a good old fashioned newspaper article will get the police more interested and some more public interest in this shop? I'll try and find names of people to forward links to this post to and lets try put some pressure on...

• 1 year later...

If Any comes across it, please let me know.

Stolen off my Thule bike rack coming from tokai today.

These are the only pics I have

Hi there,

Sorry for replying to such an old post - I am looking at buying this exact same frame and fork and building the bike up with my Scott aspect 10 components. I do all the local races, 40km and enjoy technical riding as well - could you recommend this bike? I ak a little concerned about the weight over long distances?

Thank you - and sorry about your bike!!!!