Numb Body Parts

zues-zues

On a ride longer than an hour, my left hand becomes numb (my right hand is fine no matter how long I ride).  Is this so because of incorrect setup?  It doens't feel like I'm holding on too tight, both my hands are always relaxed on the handlebars.

One more thing, after rides of 2 hrs or more, my backside and nuts go numb.  I've tried changing saddles, but still the same results.  What do I do here, do I just have to spend more time in the saddle and get used to it or do I have to check my setup again.  Had my bike professionally set up already.

Very Confused

ZuesZues

The finger thing is called 'white finger' and is caused by vibration deadening a nerve in the hand.  Miners using jackhammers get it, and you also get it on multi-day rides on motorcycles.  Not sure how best to stop it, but can only suggest:

- take you weight off your hands if poss?

- gel gloves?

- keep changing hand position and get those bar end thingies (cow horns!?) to provide more variety of hand position.

Me, if I don't change hand position get it so bad I can't change gear.  Not lekker.

As for the ass / nuts - get looser shorts ? LOLLOL

some good pointers davetapson, thanx.  The gel gloves is something I will try immediately and I'll try to change hand pos more often.

The numb ass/nuts thingy??????  I'll keep monitoring.

Thanx

some good pointers davetapson' date=' thanx.  The gel gloves is something I will try immediately and I'll try to change hand pos more often.

The numb ass/nuts thingy??????  I'll keep monitoring.

Thanx

[/quote']LOLLOLLOL Think you must change your name from Zues-Zues to NUMB NUTSClapClapClap

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

But seriously now, is there some degree of tolerance or acceptable numbness from being in the sadde too long???

Don't have numb nuts or any nuts the last time I looked, so I can't answer your question. Try Dr PhilLOL

I used to get numb hands on my road bike until I switched to Specialized BG Gel gloves (Damn, that sounds like an infomercial Smile). They've helped to the point that I only really feel any numbness on the roughest and longest of MTB rides.

As for the other numbness, I found that changing to a Fizik Arione saddle sorted most of that. I do still occasionallt get numbness in my...other part in that area Embarrassed, but it goes away within an hour or two of riding. It also only really crops up if I spend long stretches seated - standing up every now and then helps a lot.

I do, however, have a strong suspicion that ANY sort of numbness for any length of time is not a good thing, so if anyone else has better suggestions please shout for both our benefits.

The finger thing is called 'white finger' and is caused by vibration deadening a nerve in the hand.  

davetapson - would it still qualify as possible 'white finger' if only the one hand is effected?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

But seriously now' date=' is there some degree of tolerance or acceptable numbness from being in the sadde too long???
[/quote']

Strangely there's not a queue of people eager to jump in on this one, but numb nuts gets easier over time - it's exciting the 1st time you get feeling back the same day & don't have to be super-careful where you're aiming. 

It can disappear completely (the numbness, not your nuts) after a few thousand ks.  That's something to look forward to then.

Enough information?

Thought so.

Joe Low2007-11-17 13:46:29

ok, thanx for the input people, so i guess there should be some degree of tolerance in the numbness department.