How to choose a helmet

MTBer wannabee

What is the first thing i should look for.

Before i get the normal sarcastic remarks, I am not talking about a hyper special, but there is such a range with various prices I dont know which to go for.

Is it a good idea to buy online without trying it on?

What is the first thing i should look for.

Before i get the normal sarcastic remarks, I am not talking about a hyper special, but there is such a range with various prices I dont know which to go for.

Is it a good idea to buy online without trying it on?

Weight & ventilation.

Then deciede a budget, then go try on the one that you fancy within that price range and head to the counter and purchase.

If you wanna purchase online, go try the thing first. Too many variables.

More expensive does not mean better, it means lighter. A R500 helmet will protect you just as well as a R2000 helmet, it may even have better protection.

i have a helmet that i bought years ago, but now i just feel like a dork with a pot on my head. I have never needed to use it (fortunatly) but i think its time for a change.

Is bell any good?

I can recommend Giro Prolight but it is expensive. It weighs 100g less than most helmets at 172g. While I am riding I often think I have forgotten to put my helmet on :o

Defnitely fit them first...some helmets are narrower(rudy) and some are rounder(spez)

For what its worth, spez makes awesome accessories, love mine(propero)

What if the best fit costs R2000? :unsure:

Not really. Everybody is different. I was ready to spend R2500 and tried everything from no name brand to the then top of the range Giros. The one that fitted me best was a R850 Bell Delirrium.

Weight & ventilation...

Is that really the only difference. There doesn't seem to be much difference in weight or ventilation in helmets I've seen and definitely not R 1500 worth!

(Good post. I'm also looking for a new lid)

As far as I know, all helmets from reputable brands meet the minimum standard for protection, so that leaves fit, weight, price, replacement policy, looks and protection above the standard as decision criteria.

For me, fit and comfort are the most important criteria. This is the only area where weight plays a role for me since I've generally found that lighter helmets are more comfortable on long rides. Lighter means something like 300g vs 400g, not 280g vs 300g.

I tend to look at Bell helmets since they have an excellent crash replacement policy.

Looks are also pretty important for me - I don't want to ride with an ugly helmet, but this could be something as simple as a colour change.

Extra protection above the standard is a bit of a difficult one since there's generally not much data available. I tend to ignore this. As a general rule-of-thumb, though, heavier helmets will offer more protection simply because they have more material to absorb an impact.

Quite a few of the helmets in SA will not meet the Aussie safety standards. They don't like helmets with very big holes. They say that branches and stuff can penetrate and jab in the head. I wonder if the SABS have ever put a helmet to test.

a good thing to remember is that some manufacturers have long warrenty or exchange policy (I think the Bell sweeps)

for me, it needs to fit, no matter the cost or how it looks.

the low cost helmets id mostly heavier and ventilation not that of the high end ones

First, go try out than cost them and decide what you can afford.

Remember: YOU TRY TO PROTECT YOUR HEAD, ITS NOT A FASHION STATEMENT !

Not really. Everybody is different. I was ready to spend R2500 and tried everything from no name brand to the then top of the range Giros. The one that fitted me best was a R850 Bell Delirrium.

I was the same, ended up with a BBB, cause I could'nt get the MET I wanted :(

Quite a few of the helmets in SA will not meet the Aussie safety standards. They don't like helmets with very big holes. They say that branches and stuff can penetrate and jab in the head. I wonder if the SABS have ever put a helmet to test.

Eish, hope that does'nt mean I have to buy another helmet next year.