momsen 29er or SB segma

the newbie

Hi

I'm new to mountain biking. I'm 15 years old and I am really keen to get in to mountain biking because i've really enjoyed what i've done so far. I currently have a specialized hardrock sport but it is just not quite enough for what i'm doing and I wiped because the v brakes just couldn't handle coming down from the mast. most people I've spoken to have said go 29er because despite it's disadvantages it really is best suited to this area and the type of riding I want to do(XC), but im still not a 100% convinced. so basically what I'm asking is do I go for the momsen al329 which is in my budget (+/- 10000) or do I really beg my parents desperatly to streach to the 15k for the silverback segma.

I will welcom any other advise with open arms if anybody els has any ideas.

thanks a ton

Hi

Buy this months bicycle mag. It has a comparison with a whole bunch of 29ers including the 2 you mention.

if you going to do x country racing as in lap racing on tight cources such as the one at cascades this weekend then think carefully about a 29er. i know they have alot of advantages over a 26er but on tight xc tracks not. From what I have seen and heard the 26ers have much quicker accelaration on short sharp routes.

ask you local bike store if some people can lend you the two and test them on a course.

cheers

For R10 000 I would also think seriously about a good 2nd hand 26er hardtail (see classifieds). For that money you can buy a really super light top specced race bike that will last you for years. This will outride a budget 29er with heavy wheels and lower spec components any day. Look for things like GT Zaskars, Giant XTC's and Scott Scales. They are usually good value.

29'er come at a premium and there is just a bit too much hype now to be able to see them for what they are, whatever that may be. There's lots of very good new & used hardtail or FS 26" going, and honestly ur parents hard earned money should rather be spent on bike with good (new or used) groupset, brakes and tyres rather than paying that premium for those big wheels, which many of us are ambivalent about.

Edited by kosmonooit

thanks for your replys. i'm strugling to find a good bike 2nd hand avalable here in cape town. do you have any ideas?

thanks

look at Cycle Traders - AKA Avron's - in Salt River. He normally has some good stock of 2nd hand bikes.

Alternatively, browse through the classifieds here or on gumtree...

Gt karakorum....

im also 15 , im 6foot 2 , perfect bike , i love it through th tights rather than the 26er's..

this bike retails for R7500

This bike is also full of bling , perfect for a teens desires

kwik pic

http://www.google.co.za/imgres?imgurl=http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk/ProdImages/GT%2520Karakoram%25201.0.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.farnhamcycles.co.uk/Shop/p/786-gt-karakoram-1-0-2011-29er-mountain-bike/&usg=__hmfj0YOrEAC7-olRWyWR_nuLRFU=&h=232&w=400&sz=55&hl=en&start=4&zoom=1&tbnid=5LcJqoVWQCspYM:&tbnh=72&tbnw=124&ei=8c2yTcWMK4eCvgOlua2VBw&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dgt%2Bkarakoram%2B1.0%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Dactive%26sa%3DG%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D673%26gbv%3D2%26tbm%3Disch&itbs=1

Edited by Nomad978

For your age and budget I would say get a 26" hardtail. It will represent best value for money, and it is the best bike to develop your skills as an XC racer. There are still lots of pros who ride the XC world cup circuit on 26" hardtails.

Hi

I'm new to mountain biking. I'm 15 years old and I am really keen to get in to mountain biking because i've really enjoyed what i've done so far. I currently have a specialized hardrock sport but it is just not quite enough for what i'm doing and I wiped because the v brakes just couldn't handle coming down from the mast.

Nothing wrong with your bike, or v-brakes. Since you're still learning I would hold off getting a new bike until you know exactly what you want. There are plenty of morons who have 'upgraded' to these bikes, but they're still riding like morons.

We all started with v-brakes and they will stop your bike. Just learn how to keep your wheels straight (truing) and adjust them for nice and tight clearance. Discs are definitely better, but its not necessarrily a reason to go out and splash big cash on a new bike.

There is a crapload of hype behind the 29er movement, mixed with a bit of science. At your age and budget the rider makes much more difference...go shred it!

Also 15 and was also on the 29er idea. 29ers are great stuff, no doubt about it but it all somes down to the point that for a 29er at X amount of price you can buy a 26inch that is better. Its simply reality.

Plus, being 15 you are quite agile and can do a lot of jumps an maneouvres on trails so you don't want a bigger and heavier 29er pulling you back.

FOr 10000 you can get yourself an awsome mtb like a scott scale 60 or possibly a scale 50 if you go to the right stores. Dude, for xc nothing beats scott because of the geometry of the frame.

Don't go for merida-its crap and overpriced! A gt zaskar could also be a good choice

However, if you are really hooked on the 29er idea, go for the scott scale 29er team. Goes for 11600 and weighs only 12kg making it the lightest aluminium 29er on the market. Much better than the =priced momsen.

Hope this helps.

Nothing wrong with your bike, or v-brakes. Since you're still learning I would hold off getting a new bike until you know exactly what you want. There are plenty of morons who have 'upgraded' to these bikes, but they're still riding like morons.

We all started with v-brakes and they will stop your bike. Just learn how to keep your wheels straight (truing) and adjust them for nice and tight clearance. Discs are definitely better, but its not necessarrily a reason to go out and splash big cash on a new bike.

There is a crapload of hype behind the 29er movement, mixed with a bit of science. At your age and budget the rider makes much more difference...go shred it!

+1. Well put

Below is an emai from Cycle Factory:

Hello Everyone,

We are pleased to announce that our annual blowout sale will be held on Monday May 2nd from 9 am – 2 pm. We have some 30 new Silverback bikes ad frames that are on special. Although some of these bikes differ from the original specs, they all carry the original Silverback warranty. There are some great bargains to be found and I will be emailing all of you the complete list with prices before Monday, so watch for this email. We are not taking any reservations for the bikes, or selling any of them beforehand. The doors will open at 9 am, so make sure that you are here nice and early.

Also, we are going to offer all of our 2011 Silverbacks at reduced prices for this day only. This means you will save up to 10% off of our already low sticker prices. Some of the 2011 prices are so low that I cannot print them here. But if you in the market for a new Ventura, Saturn, etc., you will be astounded by the prices.

Not interested in a Silverback? We will be offering 10% off of any Giant or Merida sticker price on the floor for this day only. Also, we are taking 20% off of all accessories and 25% off of all clothing and shoes. Normally, you get 20% these items when you buy a bike, but thy will be on special to every one on the day.

See you on the day.

Best

Ian

get a 26 inch hardtail. 29er selling at a premium and at R10000 you going to buy a ship. more inportant of the top 10 xc racers at pmb worldcup only burry was riding 29 er. [think nino was on 27.5] makes you think..... 29 er good for marathon tipe riding . get a good 26er from somebody following the 29er hipe. cm

For R10 000 I would also think seriously about a good 2nd hand 26er hardtail (see classifieds). For that money you can buy a really super light top specced race bike that will last you for years. This will outride a budget 29er with heavy wheels and lower spec components any day. Look for things like GT Zaskars, Giant XTC's and Scott Scales. They are usually good value.

+1 - good sensible advice, pkus the 26 hardtail will sharpen your skills, there is a reason why 26 hardtails are still the most widely used despite all the hype around 29ers & full sussers.

Below is an emai from Cycle Factory:

Hello Everyone,

We are pleased to announce that our annual blowout sale will be held on Monday May 2nd from 9 am – 2 pm. We have some 30 new Silverback bikes ad frames that are on special. Although some of these bikes differ from the original specs, they all carry the original Silverback warranty. There are some great bargains to be found and I will be emailing all of you the complete list with prices before Monday, so watch for this email. We are not taking any reservations for the bikes, or selling any of them beforehand. The doors will open at 9 am, so make sure that you are here nice and early.

Also, we are going to offer all of our 2011 Silverbacks at reduced prices for this day only. This means you will save up to 10% off of our already low sticker prices. Some of the 2011 prices are so low that I cannot print them here. But if you in the market for a new Ventura, Saturn, etc., you will be astounded by the prices.

Not interested in a Silverback? We will be offering 10% off of any Giant or Merida sticker price on the floor for this day only. Also, we are taking 20% off of all accessories and 25% off of all clothing and shoes. Normally, you get 20% these items when you buy a bike, but thy will be on special to every one on the day.

See you on the day.

Best

Ian

hi is there any chance you could email me the complete list of prices when you get them at jfieggen@gmail.com

thanks a ton

josh

what about the marida TFS 800D and just grit my teeth and spend a couple of grand buying a new fork and going tubeless? i think i can get it for around 8500. (its got xt rear and slx front)