26" wheels on 29er bike

VroomSL

So I was wondering - since i have all this free time during the public holidays - whether you can put 26" wheels on a 29er bike.

(Un)fortunately i dont have a 29er yet to test it on, but its a fascinating experiment.

1. Experiment 1 - Replace 29" wheels with 26" wheels on 29er bike

2. Experiment 2 - Front wheel 29" and rear 26" - on 29er bike

An obvious burning question is handling.

Are there any hubbers prepared to do same experiments :) and feedback to us.

Well, the obvious answer is... Yes.

You can put 26" wheels on a 9er, due to the extra space built into the frame/fork that allows for the larger diameter tires.

You MIGHT be able to put 9er tires onto a 6er frame, depending on the clearance front and back.

The question is, though, WHY!!!???

Why waste your time? It's been done a long time ago: it's called a 69er.

There are even some for sale on The Hub. Buy one and try it. Real waste of money

Why waste your time? It's been done a long time ago: it's called a 69er.

There are even some for sale on The Hub. Buy one and try it. Real waste of money

Exactly - therefore the experiment.

Perhaps 29er with 26" wheels is better on technical trails.

A 29er frame with 26" tyres is waste of time.It is not about the frame,but the wheels.Putting 26"wheels on a 29 er frame is like an extra large 26" mtb.It serves no purpose.Rather pay attention to your holiday or invite people over.

:rolleyes:

I haven't tried the hybrid but have suggested in here before: there must be a reason why it works on off road motorbikes.

A 29er frame with 26" tyres is waste of time.It is not about the frame,but the wheels.Putting 26"wheels on a 29 er frame is like an extra large 26" mtb.It serves no purpose.Rather pay attention to your holiday or invite people over.

:rolleyes:

Would that not be an extra small 26" MTB? The 29" frame would stand 1.5" lower than if it had the 29" wheels on

Has anyone tried it -

What about 26" back and 29" front.

If it worked Spez, Giant, Merida and all the big bike makers would have riders on them for the world champs to showcase them. Google the topic and waste your own time looking into it and then report back for all to see on the hub.

I can only imagine that would change your centre of gravity to further back on the bike due to the new angle. So climbing should be harder and downhills should be easier.

Imagine having a 140mm fork upfront with 29er wheels and 26" wheels at the back on a bike. That would be awkward!

:P :P

@ King_Crispy - perhaps that is the next trend after the present 29er craze. So give it maybe 5 years hehe...

BTW. How are we going to invent new trends if we keep on Googling everything! Common don't restrict yourself.

Lets apply a scientific approach by perhaps testing the "hybrids" on a course.

i think where this is going for the guys upgrading bit by bit. buy a frame first, then the fork and lastly the wheels. in that order everything will work. you might look like a dork for a month or 2 but everything will work.