New one

Evilredzombie

Hi guys, new here.. im active on the ps3za , mybb and recently the iphoneza forums.

Got a few questions and need some advise.

Want to get into mountainbiking and looking to get advise as a starter.

1st i need to get a decent new or pre used entry level mountain bike that i can do training on road and go on trails offroad

2nd need to know how, where etc to join trails, preferably with other beginners

3rd need to know if this forum is supported on tapatalk for iphone

and then any other info help you might have

Hope this forum is as friendly as the others i am on...

Oh and i live in bromhof randburg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

answers to the first two questions

buy a steel frame with a decent shock (nothing less than a tora 302- there is a debate about air vs springs). Steel is compliant enough to resolve the HT vs Dual sus debate. MAny steel frames give similar "travel" as a rear shock. On-one, GT and a number of niche manufacturers make good steel frames (titanium is an alternative as well).

On shocks tora is a good start but recon, reba and SID are indeed better. However, air shocks require more maintenance and when the go wrong they go terribly wrong (Bad if you do long tours in the Karoo alone)

Minumum groupset should be deore, (though if you can fork out for LX or XT- SRAM 7 and up). That is unless you live on the fringe and then single speed is a good start (32x16 or 32 x 18 is a good starting ratio).

The debate about 29er or 26er is all wind. If you are planning to race go 29er, if you want to learn how to handle a bike go 26er.

On trails, in PTA the Groenkloof, fountains, monument grouping are three very good trails all within 1 km of each other. THere is also Rietvlei dam as well.

In Jhb Reitvlei behind Alberton is great, and for canned cycling there is the MTB bike park. For some trails there is Nortyhern Farm (But the proximty of Diepsloot has caused problems in the past). REports about van Gaalens cheese farm are promising, and then there is the legendary "Spruit". For more you can always cycle around the dirt roads around the cradle.

As a start: You tell us how much you are willing to spend on a bike and we will tell you how much time you are going to spend on the Hub from now on.

Best is to build on your fitness and join in on the fun - not many people here who are beginners per say - there are plenty beginner fitness level group rides about, not sure of your area.

Lots more info, lots more specifics...

thanks guys... well depending on how things go this will become a time eater...as far as time on forum go, i am a forum addict, hence the Q about tapatalk as its easy to browse and navigate forums.. already regular user in mybb, ps3za and iphoneza.

I excercise daily for about 45 to 60 min before work and am quite fit.. but i need to learn the ropes of the bike.

For starters i dont want to go over 5000 and then when im used to it and have fallen a few times il upgrade.

Dont mind traveling if needed but would love if i can find a decent bloke or two in my eara

presume 26 amd 29 is the bke ince? im 186 and weigh 88

as for all that other specs they went right over my head... where can i read up on what is what?

my buddy sugested a GT 3.) for 4300 at linden cycles ?

Linden cycles is good. Go there drain their coffee pot and chat with them for about two weeks or until they beg you to either buy a bike or go away. THen you will know enough to spend your money

REports about van Gaalens cheese farm are promising,

i've disovered the daggapad at van gaalens the weekend ... it's my new favourite trail, can't wait to go back. only problem is that it's not a trail that i'd want to ride alone - a bit remote if you fall & break something, and useless if there's no-one around to share the adrenalin & endorphines with.

thanks guys... well depending on how things go this will become a time eater...as far as time on forum go, i am a forum addict, hence the Q about tapatalk as its easy to browse and navigate forums.. already regular user in mybb, ps3za and iphoneza.

Welcome to The Hub!

To answer this part of your question - we are on Tapatalk under Sports -> Running and Biking.

Happy cycling.

Going scouting today... Looked at the 29 vs 26 debate and just stick to 26.... Now taking my weight and height what size frame?

Going scouting today... Looked at the 29 vs 26 debate and just stick to 26.... Now taking my weight and height what size frame?

Your weight shouldn't come into the size of the bike, what height are you?

Ask Akela. Or maybe the scoutmaster.

Ask Akela. Or maybe the scoutmaster.

But stay away from Lord Baden Powell, he fiddles too much.

i've disovered the daggapad at van gaalens the weekend ... it's my new favourite trail, can't wait to go back. only problem is that it's not a trail that i'd want to ride alone - a bit remote if you fall & break something, and useless if there's no-one around to share the adrenalin & endorphines with.

Agree, did it on Monday, very misty but great trail..