Clipped by a car and considering myself lucky?

Tazza007

Thank you and that is exactly why I asked for everyones honest opinions so that I could set my mind at ease as to what to do from now on.

My 3 dogs are runners / pullers / extremely strong and so energetic. Ages: a 1 year old fox terrier / jack russel mix, a 2 year old Staffie (pure muscle!!!) and a 7 year old large poodle (LUCKY is his name, and HE was the one with me last night when it happened - co-oncidence?).

Taking them for a walk (and bear in mind I am alone) on a leash is non-existent, I am the one that ends up exhausted with arms and shoulders practically pulled out of its sockets at the end of the walk, and they look at me as if to say "was that the walk, we're not even tired yet". Hence the Springer dog exerciser, it seemed like a fantastic idea and works like a bomb. For a change THEY are exhausted and not me!

The pictures on the site are misleading though and make the bike / dog combo look a lot wider than it is. Yes on the roads it is extremely dangerous, and I realised that last night. But could it not perhaps only have been one silly woman's error of judgement? BUT I do not really want to take that chance again, and will do all in my power to avoid the roads but in our circumstances and environments that is just not completely possible.

I will stick to the quiet Sportsground roads, and out of peak traffic times - non-negotiable!

Regarding their paws, they do run on the pavement / grass as far as possible while I cycle on road / edge of the gutter section but that specific piece of road does not have grass rather only thorns and sand and that would be more harmful.

Unfortunately I had/have no choice but to use that small 500m stretch of road in Darwin to enter / exit my complex so I'll have to see what I can do there.

But thank you to all for the comments, and be safe out there - I am now one of those who got hit/clipped by a car and will be ever more so cautious and suspicious of all drivers.

Have a good weekend.

What about a pair of Roller blades or even get an offroad skateboard thingy majiggy? Its another option.

LESSONS LEARNT:

- Although I was cycling with my dog in a road wide enough for two cars to pass each other with enough space for a bicycle and a dog <1m in width (cars park at the blue bulls shop half in the road / half on the pavement and two cars pass each other simultaneously, not with that much ease but they can do so so the road is wide enough for a bicycle) I will not take my dogs for a run on the Springer Bicycle Dog exerciser again in “peak” traffic.

- Never EVER ask an elder lady, who had just gotten a huge fright when someone else was knocked down by a car, if she is MAD.

Unfortunately though I have NO CHOICE but to use Dan King to enter / exit my complex when going anywhere. I do however always make a point of it to take my dogs up the road leading to the Sport fields and back for their 4km (there and back) run on the exerciser.

The Springer Bicycle Dog exerciser is a new arrival in SA and seen at the Argus expo I bought one to help me exercise my extremely fit and energetic dogs (take a look at the website for pictures, my dogs run right next to the spring device as my rope is shorter than those in the pictures on the web: http://www.springeramerica.com). I do not feel that just because it is new and people do not know it they have the right to tell me I should walk my dogs on the pavement. That being said as stated I will however chose my times of exercising them more cautiously in future, but avoiding roads all together is just not possible!

Your thoughts on this are most welcome!

I assume you were wearing a bright luminous top and a bright flashing red light? If not then I'd add this to the top of your lessons learned.

Springer America, made in Norway? Oh well. Looking at that website, that device does not look in any way safe for use on public roads. I think if you use it on the roads, and an accident occurs, you will find yourself falling short in the eyes of the law. I'd seriously only use that offroad.

Springer America, made in Norway? Oh well. Looking at that website, that device does not look in any way safe for use on public roads. I think if you use it on the roads, and an accident occurs, you will find yourself falling short in the eyes of the law. I'd seriously only use that offroad.

They do talk about using it on public roads, but I'm still not convinced. I suppose if you have a pretty well trained dog it might be ok :unsure: They do say it does come with a safety release system in place.

I havent read the full story, wildo tonight on the thrown :-)

why do you moan? because the car hit you from behind or because you did a dumm act to ride a bike while running the dog.

Yes, you are lucky, the dog could've swerve into your front wheel and a truck could be coming from behind.

You have to take responsibillity for your actions, if this is what you like to do, keep doing it. but be sure, you were lucky this time.

I havent read the full story, wildo tonight on the thrown :-)

why do you moan? because the car hit you from behind or because you did a dumm act to ride a bike while running the dog.

Yes, you are lucky, the dog could've swerve into your front wheel and a truck could be coming from behind.

You have to take responsibillity for your actions, if this is what you like to do, keep doing it. but be sure, you were lucky this time.

+1 but put a bit nicer. Sorry you got hit.

Close call, man.

Take care out there.

It's risky riding a bike as driver awareness of cyclists is low in general.

Doing it with your dog - even riskier.

Edited by AirBender