Racing track in joburg/randburg

Evilredzombie

Is there a cement/tar type racing track (like the ones you see on tv) around here in joburg to just ride safley to train as a beginner?

Northcliff cycles used to do a little race every tuesday at the park and ride area by the dome.

You dont have to race and can go at your own pace.

Give them a call to see if its still on.

The Northcliff one is great but maybe a bit intimidating for a beginner. Just go into that parking lot and ride. Its the parking lot on the other side of the road from the dome.

Or, go dodge cars in the Sandton parking lot - will get you used to traffic fast. :P

Shot guys.. Ja its more about a place that is safe ( no cars, muggers ets) and where i can pick up speed .. So i can do time comparison without traffic lights and cars

Guest agteros

Shot guys.. Ja its more about a place that is safe ( no cars, muggers ets) and where i can pick up speed .. So i can do time comparison without traffic lights and cars

The Dome crit "closes" for a few months during winter due to the early sunsets. Contact Alex at Nortcliff to find out more, but it should still be running for a while. R20 to participate, and you do as many laps as possible in 45 minutes. No fancy timekeeping, no nothing, just plain racing/training depending on where you are on the fitness curve. Unlike other crit races you do not have to stop when you get lapped. Racing should be starting at 17:30 (or earlier now)

Each lap is about 870m long, with about 17m of ascent, although those 17meters become brutal after a while ;) Route/track here

Edited by agteros

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a cement/tar type racing track (like the ones you see on tv) around here in joburg to just ride safley to train as a beginner?

Hi evilredzombie

There is a cement track at Hector Norris park alongside Rand Stadium near the turffontein race track. I have not used this fscility but understand that it is open to all until dark (no lights?) and access costs R 5.00.

I was at Hector Norris a few months ago in the evening and there are lights. Its a great place to do interval training

• 4 months later...

I popped into Hector Norris last week and again this week and it's fantastic. R10 gets you in your car is parked behind a locked gate - lights are on until ~8pm and it's fairly quiet - by 7pm last Thu there were about 5 of us left - by 6:30pm last night I was the only rider on the track.

I was on my track bike but there are people on road bikes - there was even a guy on a mtb last week!

People are friendly - Raj (the track custodian) is a cool dude and unofficial malawi tourism director and everybody on the track rides respectfully.

I had forgotten how much fun it was to race in circles :D

Try it - you'll like it!