Saddle advice

Evilredzombie

Hi guys, got my silverback saturn with the standerd saddle... What advise can you give for a decent saddle... Pref below 600..

What other saddles have you used? PM Kiwi to see what he has. Rav-X also do some good budget saddles.

Sped the cash and go for a specialized.

Their BG fitting works wonders for your rear.

Road Saddle- Fi'zi:k Arione

Mtb Saddle- Fi'zi:k Gobi

Try CW Cycles. He has a Gobi with managanese rails at a good price.

Road Saddle- Fi'zi:k Arione

Mtb Saddle- Fi'zi:k Gobi

Try CW Cycles. He has a Gobi with managanese rails at a good price.

What does such a gobi go for?

Gobi way above your budget, but very good. Fairly firm, so if it works for your but, it is great, otherwise will kill you.

Look at WTB's saddles. Very highly rated by some of the overseas magazines a while back. A bit more padded and very reasonably priced, I think in the R400 - R500 range.

Unfortunately, the only way is to try it out and see what works for you.

Saddles are a very personal choice, what works for one doe not work for someone else. Better to look through the classifieds and get a 2nd hand one, that way you can try without spending to much monies

Ive been riding a Planet x saddle for the last 3 years, looks similar to the arione, but a bit softer. I actually rode my new arione (bought second hand to test the waters) for the first time this morning and find it to be quite narrow iow it pushes up between my sitbones a bit more than my planet X did.

So far, the planet x was way more comfy. its prob below R400 cant go to far wrong with that mate.

I just checked their site but they seem to be out of stock. ask "kiwi" on the hub when they will have stock again

Ive been riding a Planet x saddle for the last 3 years, looks similar to the arione, but a bit softer. I actually rode my new arione (bought second hand to test the waters) for the first time this morning and find it to be quite narrow iow it pushes up between my sitbones a bit more than my planet X did.

So far, the planet x was way more comfy. its prob below R400 cant go to far wrong with that mate.

I just checked their site but they seem to be out of stock. ask "kiwi" on the hub when they will have stock again

As someone who has spent allot of money on saddles let me through in my 2 cents.

Yes all these Fizik saddles that everybody recommends as 'the default choice', Arione and Gobi are 135mm saddles. The planet-x saddle is more of a 143mm saddle (from measuring mine) so if you want a fizik you need the Antares instead of the Arione.

The Specialized default saddles like the Riva are all 143mm saddles which is a better starting point for most people I think. I wish Giant for example would stop shipping new bikes with 128mm Tundra saddles, have they not seen what South African people look like?

I now have a planet x on my road bike and a Specialized Phenom Comp on the mountain bike and it's the best I managed thusfar.

"Sped the cash and go for a specialized.

Their BG fitting works wonders for your rear"

+1 - they let you take a test saddle too so no more guess work.

Ditto. Two on my bikes and two in the cupboard for incase. Those 4 still cost less then a new Arione.

As someone who has spent allot of money on saddles let me through in my 2 cents.

Yes all these Fizik saddles that everybody recommends as 'the default choice', Arione and Gobi are 135mm saddles. The planet-x saddle is more of a 143mm saddle (from measuring mine) so if you want a fizik you need the Antares instead of the Arione.

The Specialized default saddles like the Riva are all 143mm saddles which is a better starting point for most people I think. I wish Giant for example would stop shipping new bikes with 128mm Tundra saddles, have they not seen what South African people look like?

I now have a planet x on my road bike and a Specialized Phenom Comp on the mountain bike and it's the best I managed thusfar.

strange the Tundra actually works for me, Its darn hard, but Its flat on top, the Arione is round, which shuves my chamois up my naught :lol:

Im not a big guy, wear 31 jeans, so I shouldnt need a wider seat, maybe its a case of getting use to it.

"Sped the cash and go for a specialized.

Their BG fitting works wonders for your rear"

+1 - they let you take a test saddle too so no more guess work.

Nothing but(t) a Phenom 143 for me :thumbup:

used it on my last 3 bikes

I bought a Serfas Tegu yesterday (All I could find in the >145mm category was this or the Rav X Race)

Pretty cool that the Serfas Saddles come with a 90 Day comfort guarantee and if you not happy you can return it within 90 days.

Doing a 20km this afternoon to check it out.

Its replacing my Fizik Gobi that the bike came with... I am a BIG guy and my seat bones are way off the 133mm saddles

Those looking for a Gobi keep an eye on the classifieds, I will be posting my well used saddle there. Whats a reasonable price? It has a few nics but looks like it will still go a while?